SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jl_1978

New home. Appliance selection thoughts?

jl_1978
15 years ago

Hi,

I recently discovered this site and it's already helped so much in deciding on appliances for my new house.

I was just hoping to get some thoughts/opinions on some of the choices I've made so far. We're trying to budget a pretty nice kitchen, but can't afford to go ultra high end so I'm trying to save money where I can. If you own any of the items below and could share your opinions, it'd be greatly appreciated.

We're planning to have black granite countertops with darker oak cabinets.

Cooktop: Thermador CIT304EM 30" Induction. This was the piece that convinced me to go built-in. I fell in love with the silver-mirrored finish and think it'll go great with the black countertops and other stainless appliances.

Wall Oven: Electrolux Icon E30EW75GPS single wall oven. Seems to have gotten very good reviews on here and looks amazing. We decided to get a single oven and a convection microwave with trim kit instead of a double oven. Thoughts?

Microwave: Panasonic Genius NNC994 Convection microwave. With a trim kit, I think this will look ok above the wall oven and we get the functionality of a small second oven as well as microwave at a cheaper price than a double oven and separate microwave.

Hood: Trying to save a bit here as I think the hood requirements on an induction cooktop are quite a bit less than gas. That said, the Electrolux RH30WC60GS looks great and is fairly reasonably priced. The only thing is, we'll have to pay extra to get an 8" duct put in our kitchen instead of the standard 6". I'm considering a cheaper Broan hood as well which also saves because it only needs 6". Any opinions here? Is 8" worth it to "future-proof" the kitchen?

Dishwasher: We're still old school and do most dishes by hand. We only use a dishwasher when we have a lot of dishes to do or are in a rush, so we're willing to go a bit cheaper here as well. However, we still want one with a stainless tub, so we narrowed it down to a Bosch Evolution 300 SHE43M05UC, or Kitchenaid Architect K Series KUDK03ITBS. They're among the cheapest ones with a stainless tub that still seem to get pretty good reviews. Which would you prefer?

Fridge: Originally, we wanted SxS (see, I know gardenweb abbreviations already!), but after some time here, I'm leaning towards French door. The Samsung RFG397AARS seems to get really good reviews and the 29 cu ft of space for a 36" fridge seems awesome. Also love that the water and ice dispenser is on the outside, although I understand that's the most likely part to give me trouble. Any other recommendations?

Washer/Dryer: We're really leaning towards the Samsung WF337/DV337 here. I like the WF448/DV448 as well, mostly due to the larger capacity and lower power consumption, but it seems like we're also paying quite a bit extra for steam, which I don't think we'd use much.

One final question about built-in cutout sizes. How exact do the cutouts need to be? A big worry about built-in for us is if something needs to be replaced, we don't want to worry about replacing our entire countertop for the cooktop or building a new storage unit for a wall oven. We notice that most appliances are up to about 3/4" different on height and width. I guess if the new appliance is bigger, we can always make the hole slightly larger, but if the new appliance is a bit smaller, will it be a big deal? Basically, we're hoping if something breaks down soon after the warranty expires, we won't have to spend additional money on top of replacing the appliance, but also don't want to be stuck having to buy the exact same model that just broke on us either. It's the only factor that may sway us back to just getting a standard range which would save us thousands overall!

Thanks and happy holidays!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor