SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericpd

What's the difference between Free Standing and Slide In

ericpd
16 years ago

The title nails it. I simply can't figure out what makes a slide-in range different from a free standing range. What's the difference beween the two?

Now that the refrig drama is just about over, we're setting our sights on a range. So far we've looked at the two GE profile stainless models and the GE Cafe stainless model everyone's been talking about. But I keep seeing the "slide-in" and "free standing" labels.

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Slide-in range = Cooktop portion OVERLAPS your countertop by about 3/4 " on three sides. (cooktop lays on top of counter.)

Free Standing Range = just that, fits inside the hole proper, perhaps leaving slight gaps between counter edges and stove sides.

• Related Discussions

General Question -- slide in v. free standing range

Q

Comments (7)
    I believe that the OP is correct, although I have never been told why. I noticed this when I saw the Kenmore induction slide-in right next to the free-standing at The Great Indoors. It was very obvious, but the salesman didn't know why. I think it's because the controls are on the front of a slide-in, so all the electronics (and whatever else) that are on the back of a free-standing are on the top of the slide-in, resulting in a lower ceiling in the oven. For the Kenmore induction ranges (according to the website), the slide-in is 4.2 cu ft and the free-standing is 5.8 cu ft - that is a big difference!
    ...See More

No backsplash please - slide-in range or free standing?

Q

Comments (4)
    Most slide in ranges come with a stainless filler piece for the space between the range and the wall so you wouldn't need to purchase a piece of counter for that area.
    ...See More

Free-standing vs Slide-in Range

Q

Comments (9)
    Your decision of slide-in vs free-standing will impact the counter installation. Counter material will not impact selection of range style. I switched from a free-standing to a slide-in range a few years ago and the range came with a little strip to fill in the gap behind the range. If I'd installed new counters, I would have had the counter fill in that space instead. The way that my slide-in installs, it may also have been beneficial (though not required) to notch the counters slightly in order to snug the range closer to the back wall. So when you've selected your range, make certain you have all installation instructions available prior to installation of the counters. A 30" range should be just that: 30" wide. You can usually check out installation instructions and specifications online to make certain, but as long as you currently have a 30" range in the space, the wide should be perfect for any other 30" range. Personally, I like the look of no built in backsplash on the range. That was my primary reason to switching to a slide-in. However, I've since found several ranges that are free-standing and have no built in backsplash. So, make certain you look at all of your range options before you make your decision on slide-in vs free-standing.
    ...See More

Free standing vs slide in range

Q

Comments (4)
    I was all set on a slide in, but I had to get electric (no gas in my neighborhood). The reviews for the front controls on electric slide ins weren't great. So I ended up with a free standing range. I agree that slide ins look better, but read up on reviews on both and then decide what you are willing to deal with. Also consider if you are going to studs you may decide you want a separate wall oven and built in cook top with pots and pans drawers underneath. So maybe getting something cheap and temporary is a better option. You could probably sell it later.
    ...See More
  • ericpd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aaaaah,... got it! So either could be used in the same application and space. Riiiight? Based on teedup's descrip I got a free-standing now. I have that ugly control tower behind the burners with the burner knobs vetically mounted on the front,... the typical standard arrangement. I also have that gap between the stove and the counter on both sides. Sounds like the slide-in would offer a better finished look.

Thanks guys!

Shawn

• weissman
    16 years ago

Yes you can put a slide-in where you previously had a free-standing - you'll need a strip of some kind to fill in the counter behind the range but you can't necessarily put a free-stading range where you previously had a slide-in unless you cut out the counter behind the range. Free-standing ranges are deeper than slide-ins.

Something else to consider - there are fewer model slide-in ranges available - they generally have fewer features and cost more than free-standing ranges. If your major goal is to eliminate the backsplash on the range, you should consider pro-style ranges - they're free-standing but all the controls are on the front - on the other hand, they are pricier than other ranges.

• maxq
    16 years ago

Aaaaah,... got it! So either could be used in the same application and space. Riiiight?

Not necessarily, but if you have a standard countertop height of around 36", yes. Most slide in manufacturers require a counter height of no more than 36" and no less than 35 5/8".

• teedup1
    16 years ago

My GE Profile slide-in can go to 38" for counter height.

I haven't noticed any features missing on slide-in when compared to same brand free standing.

• ericpd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh IC. I think I understand what makes the counter height a major factor,... you don't want it's weight supported by the stove's overlaping edges on the counter. I'm thinking there are adjustable feet to take that burden off of the counter.

Our current range has exhaust venting along the control tower (backsplash). Does the slide-in design require a range hood? If so, I think we're covered,... there's exhaust venting built into our OVR microwave oven, But I'm not sure how well it would do in removing grease and smoke all by itself. I've gotten use to the two of them working in concert to keep ccoking residue from sticking to everything,... like kitchen curtains, windows and walls.

Here's what I've been eyeballin' so far: The GE JGSP28SEKSS, the GE PGS968SEMSS, and of course the GE Cafe CGS980SEMSS. Wanting to match our frige is the only thing limiting my consideration to these models. But I've noticed some Kenmore and Jenn Air models that look nice, but just learning how to disect these things and get a read on their quality and feature sets.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

You may want to do a search on Kenmore and JennAir models. I've read ALOT of negative issues with them, esp. the JennAir. GE seems to be a good brand.

Make sure you are aware of the exact height of your countertops - finished. You want a range that has a minimum of 36" to slide in accordingly, if slide-in is your choice. I tell you this because our Bosch slide-in is 36" minimum, but our counters were only 35.5" which made the range sit higher. We had to build up our cabinets in order to make it work. If your counters ARE 36", you will not have a problem with any range.

Yes, you are correct in that the feet on the range can help with the weight, but you do want a snug fit with a slide-in so you don't get gunk caught under the lips.

The slide in range requires a range hood or vented OTR microwave (a hood is better, but based on space issues, others, like me, have the OTR).

Deb

• eandhl
    16 years ago

ericpd, of the three ranges the one freestanding is the GE cafe. The other two are slide ins with a lip to sit on counter.

• ericpd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

debi - Really,... I always thought the JennAir was a premium brand in this class. I'm on it! Thanks for the heads-up. Just measured,... we've got 36" right on the nose. Guess I'm alright there.

Your OTR is doing a good job of pulling? Never really had to depend on the OTR taking the full load. Sounds promising, don't really have the budget to consider a hood right now. Doing the frige, DW and range is about all we can handle right now,... and then we're having to spread those out over a couple months. Oct-Nov was the frige, Dec is for the range, and we plan on doing the DW come Jan. Nah,... a hood ain't in the cards. Unless it absolutely has to be, and I mean 'ABSOLUTELY'!

eandhl - Yeah,... I see that. Now that I'm leaning towards a slide-in after hearing all this, I find out that the range I like most of these three was a free-standing. That would mean I'll have the same gap on the sides. However, it too doesn't have the control tower (backsplash). I thought that was one of the defining distinction between the two styles,... slide-ins not having a back splash or tower and requiring a plate or strip to fill in the counter back splash. I see on HD's site that they're calling it a 'free-standing', but it has all the characteristics of a slide,... that is if I correctly understand everything you folks have been saying!

Oh,... BTW, I'm Shawn. Eric's the Hubby and the one who started our account here. Of couse, he has smeared his identity all over it,... like a dog at a fire hydrant. LOL!

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Hey Shawn:

I believe Jenn-Aire used to be a great brand, and perhaps other would dis/agree with me, but I did ALOT of homework when we chose your range. Everyone in the appliance business told me to stay away from the Jenn-Aire because they have a horrible repair record. Now, I can't talk from experience, just what I was told. We have electric.

Our OTR does an okay job...could be better, but then again, it's an OTR. We don't fry much so that helps.

I looked at all your GE choices. All of them appear to be slide-in models and they all have some kind of overlap on the side from what I can tell. You can always call HD and ask them why they call it a free-standing.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

ericpd. yep the Cafe is GE's version of the more professional ranges i.e. Wolf, DCS, Viking, Bluestar, American etc. These ranges are freestanding.

• User
    16 years ago

THe Cafe is a slide in range. THe sides are unfinished like other slide ins and it has the lip to go over the counter. What's different about the GE is that you can use the "island trim" that comes with it (the flat piece in rear) or you can special order a higher backpiece (6", I think) that resembles the back guards of the pro ranges. It also has the stainless top like the pro ranges instead of the black enamel, and this was the swaying point for me over any of the other GE ranges. I just hate a black topped range because of the dust/cleaning factor.

• ericpd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well,... we're back! Back from Lowes and Home Depot. Didn't get to see the GE Cafe, neither of the two stores had it on display. I wonder if this is one of those 'special order', 'buy from the catalog' type items?

I hear ya live wire,... I can't stand the black trim theme either. But I think the manufacturers are beginning to hear this because I'm starting to see more and more stainless appliances absent the hard contrasting black laying up against the steel. The refrig we just purchased, the GE PFSS6PKWSS, is trimmed in gray with a gray case. Refreshing!!

Anyway,... I did learn some things tonight. I learned that buying a gas range doesn't insure you're gonna get a gas oven anymore, gas ovens are becomming harder and harder to find regarless of the cooktop. I learned that it's not a gas or electric world any more, now there's induction,... but it requires special pots and pans. I learned that GE has figured out a way to put a micro wave inside their range ovens,... the sales person at Lowes said it was like having an Advantium in your stove. And I learned that the ovens in the better ranges have fans lurking in the back of them to help prevent cool and hot spots. Whew!

I'll try one of the dedicated appliance stores in the area tomorrow evening, they'll prolly have one on display. But I'm sure their prices will be outrageous! I'm also gonna read some of the other threads in here on the Cafe line. I wonder if you can put Profile handles on the Cafe units? Nah,... just a whimsy thought. Thanks again guys!

Shawn

• eandhl
    16 years ago

livewire, do have a cafe? I am confused. The pictures on their site and vendors selling it call the cafe a freestanding. This picture looks it to me too.
    http://www.geappliances.com/products/cafe/product_range.htm

• User
    16 years ago

Yes, I have the AG version--stil sitting in the garage waiting on install so I can't yet give feedback on it's performance yet.

• markw
    16 years ago

eandhl, I'm guessing part of the reason for your confusion is that nobody here ever really answered the original question: "what's the difference between free-standing and slide-in". What people have said is usually true: free standing ranges *usually* have the controls on a rear backsplash, slide-ins *usually* lack the backsplash. Free-standing *usually* means having a gap between range and countertop, slide-ins *usually* come with a trim piece to cover the gap. Usually. But the real reason that a free-standing range is called that is it can stand by itself or a the end of a counter run and not look like hell because it has a sheet metal skin on both sides. Slide-ins lack the sheetmetal on the sides and so you can see the innards of the range. It *must* be hidden by cabinets on both sides. I believe the GE Café is a free-standing range (it has sheet metal on the sides, in other words) but is styled in the way people normally associate with slide-in.

• User
    16 years ago

No, it's a slide in. As I stated, the sides are unfinished.

• weissman
    16 years ago

On the GE web page they call the Cafe ranges free standing ranges and list them with the other free standing ranges, not the slide-in ranges. Maybe they forgot to finish the sides on yours live_wire_oak :-)

• ericpd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well,... I still didn't get an opportunity to see one in person today. We got pounded with snow here in Baltimore, and all I was about was getting my tush home.

Did a lot of reading last night (this mornig) and discovered I WANT a Cafe DF with GE's Trivection technology in the oven. To my knowledge, only the Profile electric sports this technology. Unfortunate! Someone commented in a thread over at Epinion that a Cafe DF with Trivection was on the near horizon,... Can anyone confirm this? I would happily wait for it,... if it's around the corner. I was hoping to have my three items (refrigerator, Dish Washer, and Rane) in by year's end, but I'd wait on the range if this is true and move the Dish Washer up to item #2.

Quick question about the Cafe: How well did GE think through the art of catching cooking grease from the center grilling option? Easy to clean after burgers and bacon? Or did they not give it much attention? I've heard of some horror stories about that with respect to other solid and grated cooktop grills, and I haven't seen it mentioned here. Is the Cafe center grill both solid and grated? In none of the pics did I see the grill option(s), or any indication of how the runoff is handled. Also, I'm wondering if the bottom oven electronic menu have the same cooking programs found in the Profile double ovens,... like for pizza and such.

Also, of the folks here who are Cafe owners, did any of you opt for the optional backsplash? And how much extra did it run. In the pictures, it looks like it sports a rack bar. Correct? Then in another pic of the Cafe, the backsplash looked to be no more than a couple inches high. Are there two backsplash options available?

I'm pretty much sold on the Cafe (guess that's not hard to tell), and the ony thing keeping from landing on one this weekend is the upcoming availabilty of trivection to the Cafe line. If not,... I'll go with the All Gas version. Everyone seems to be happy with that. Either way, I have both gas AND a four prong outlet in place so I guess I"m good to go with whatever version we settle on.

Marv - I understand free-standing vs slide-in a little better now. Slide-in will look similar to a Dish Washing coming out of the box,... naked sides! Sounds like the Cafe sports the best of both worlds. Well to a degree of course!

Shawn

• jeri
    16 years ago

Hey Shawn! Seems like we have the same taste. I want the same fridge as you and I want the Café too. :-)

• teedup1
    16 years ago

The GE Cafe model ranges DO NOT have a flange/lip that overlaps the countertop surface. They are NOT slide-ins.

They are free-standing ranges (when in place, a Cafe WILL have a gap between the counter's sides and the range sides). The GE website calls their Cafe models free-standing ranges (meaning the units can stand alone along a bare wall because Cafe ranges have finished side panels).

• lzimmern_nyc_rr_com
    13 years ago

I, too am in the same situation except I need to replace my oven/range now. I also like the GE Cafe and saw one at a local dealer.

Can an insert be made to fill the spaces on either side of the oven-counter and the oven and back wall? or does anyone know if a strip is made to use for this particular situation?

I plan on ordering the Cafe gas oven on Monday.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm