SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Possible granite stain--some info/help please...

loves2read
13 years ago

I found a dark rectangular area/stain(?)on my granite island today-- under the clear, frosted mat that my cat's food dishes sit on...I have been doing this for more than a year with the mat/stainless dishes w/o a problem before...

there was water/wetness under the mat--I don't know how long it might have been there...

I had a substitute cleaning lady come in Thursday and I don't think the mat has come off since then...

(she would have used the same products my other one does because they don't bring anything of their own)

she may not have dried the mat or the counter after she finished cleaning them...

I don't remember taking it off to clean the counter either--it has been a hectic Christmas and we were out of the house a lot with visiting relatives....

who finally left early this AM...

How long would it take for the granite to dry --if it is just a moisture stain--so I can start to worry I have something else to deal with?

The mark is perfectly rectangular and there does not seem to be any white/light areas inside it--pretty uniform discoloration...

Can I use the hair dryer to help it dry--or would that make a stain (if it IS stained) worse?

The house was several years old when we bought it but we resealed all the granite and tile and flooring before we moved in--that was couple of Christmases ago...

I clean it (Santa Cecilia granite I think) with just liquid soap (no citrus scents/acids) and water mainly and wipe it dry with paper towels or dish towels..

I really have no stains anywhere else on the countertops

Comments (4)