SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petestein1

Subzero: space tradeoff from an old 650 to a new 736TCI

Peter Steinberg
13 years ago

Mostly for reasons of changing out the door (see my other post for the reason why) I have the opportunity to change from a 1999 subzero 650 (fridge on top, freezer drawer below) to a new 736TCI (fridge on top, 2 freezer drawers below.

From the math I've done, it looks like we'd end up with 16.6% to 14% less fridge space, but 30% to 40% more freezer space.

While it's a net gain, we're not really freezer people. We cook a lot of fresh produce, have lots of leftovers, lots of bottles of sauces and such. Our freezer is usually a little bit of meat, a little bit of frozen fruit, a bit of ice cream, a gallon or two of frozen homemade chili or chicken soup... oh yeah, and tons of leftover wedding cake. :-)

If it were only a loss of 15% of the fridge space, but the same number of drawers and such, I would really care -- I'd expect a hair less height on each shelf wouldn't matter. But it seems that the 6" tall wire basket -- the one we keep all our cheese and cold cuts in -- is what's missing. It's hard to wrap our heads around losing that space.

So... I turn to all of you for guidance and opinions? Am I being silly? Bring it on!

Comments (7)