SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun43

Under-counter Fridge

Sun43
10 years ago

I've been browsing GW all day trying to find user comments and recommendations on undercounter refrigeration, but most discussions were on undercounter fridge for beverages or even just wine, and not "food grade".

From the existing threads I gather that there might be a real difference (in ?temperature range) between an undercounter BEVERAGE fridge, vs one for food? We're mainly going to use ours to keep dairy and deli etc so that the kids can reach them themselves (instead of needing adult help opening the very-heavy door of the main 36" Subzero fridge). We won't be putting wine or soft drinks in these. And since we're keeping dairy and deli meats, temperature is important for food safety.

The 4 brands that I see recommended here are:

- Subzero (running at $4000 Canadian, same as follows)

- Marvel (never heard of this brand before I shopped for an undercounter fridge... first heard from the appliance sales person and thought it sounded like a cheapo brand and that was before i came here to get educated)

- Perlick (but i dont think we have local dealers)

- U-line - one great thread here from 2008 re customer service but otherwise very few user comments

There's a subzero floor model being sold for $2950, but it's all stainless steel front and we'd rather have a complete integrated panel, or at least a glass-front (surrounded by stainless steel or matchy-matchy wood from cabinets). Question for SZ lovers - does the subzero undercounter fridge offer any functional advantage for being double the price, or am I really just paying for the name badge in this case (undercounter fridge)

The U-line is going on sale for $1399 U2175RCGOL00 but i'm a bit scared to go with this without hearing too many reviews.

Any suggestions appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (19)