SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

Has anyone here seen War Horse?

stinky-gardener
12 years ago

I saw it Sunday, & I'm still feeling rather shell-shocked!

Have any of you seen it? What were your impressions?

I thought it a magnificent, important film. Spielberg again, wants us to take in the horror of war, & if knowing that a staggering number of people's lives are destroyed by the brutality isn't disturbing enough, this time animals are also victims of the madness. I've learned since seeing the film that ten million men & ten million horses died during WWI.

I couldn't watch certain scenes, & I cried, I mean ugly crying, true weeping. Kept my face buried in DH's shoulder so as not to make a scene in the theater!

I am glad I saw it, but seems like it will stay with me for quite a while & I need to process!

Comments (22)

• User
    12 years ago

Yes, I saw it the day it opened. I also cried. I went to see if because it was about a horse, I love horses, but came away feeling like you shell shocked. Loved the scene where the two soldiers were cutting away the barb wire from the horse....why cant we all get along?

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yes, Roseabbey! That is one of my favorite scenes too! It so beautifully conveyed the potential there is within us for creating peace, love & unity.

So, the film effected you powerfully!

Can't believe this movie was based on a children's book! I understand the book is written through the eyes of Joey, in the style of Black Beauty. I'd like to read it...if I can make it through it!

• Related Discussions

has anyone seen an Aciphylla east of the Rockies?

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks Ninamarie. Morinas do ok this far south during cool-to-normal summers, but they seem to never really build up enough strength to get through the hot summers. (I'm in Maryland) Since the last three summers have been very hot (fingers crossed this one will turn out differently...looks promising so far) the plant I had for years finally gave up the ghost last summer. It also doesn't help that rabbits will ignore it for a couple years then randomly mow the whole plant down one night. That happened the year before last, so, between that and a 3rd hot summer, it was just too much for it.
    ...See More

I'm about to be an enabler... has anyone here seen Joni's sale?

Q

Comments (34)
    GG- thank you for sharing those links with me! David- I think you have the most awesome set up- I love how neat everything is- all in rows :) The plants are just gorgeous! I agree with Kelly- MORE than impressive! Isn't it nice(or perhaps slightly weird) to know so many people are living vicariously through your photos?!? lol I've added another 5 Hoya just this past week, and my 'want' list is still a mile long! Hubs is starting to worry that I may have a hoarding problem. I told him it was okay until we could no longer use certain rooms of the house, then I would agree that I might have a *slight* problem. Thank goodness all this is giving him the motivation to get moving on building me a small greenhouse! Of course, he thinks that the house will be less 'plant-full', but we all know that it just means more room for more plants!
    ...See More

Has anyone seen tomatoes do this?(Warning, huge plants ahead)

Q

Comments (1)
    Love the shot of picking tomatoes with a cherry picker. You sure got the right combination of amendments to have such a successful crop. Thanks for posting the pics.
    ...See More

Has anyone ever seen a monstrose philodendron? What do I have here?

Q

Comments (3)
    It's likely just several plants that are stuck together. This is common when buying plants that originated from tissue cultured labs.
    ...See More
  • bestyears
    12 years ago

I am so torn about seeing this. It is such an important movie I think, but the brutality might be more than I can bear....

• prairiefox
    12 years ago

I saw this movie at Christmas time. I also sobbed and my sister-in-law sobbed for the two boys who were about the same age as her boys. This movie haunted me for several weeks. I also thought of the fifth grade girls (I sub in school) who told me they were going to see this movie over Christmas. I couldn't help but think about how disturbed they were going to be after seeing what happened to the horses. I am glad we don't have to use horses in our wars today. I hope I don't think about this movie tonight. It really was a good movie, just very upsetting.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

As soon as I saw the advertisements, I knew that wasn't the type of movie I wanted to see. Bambi upsets me, and I still remember being a child and seeing Old Yeller and crying.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bestyears, I hear what you're saying! Thanks for your reply...always nice to hear from you!

Prariefox, thanks for your comment. Yes, that scene with the boys was troubling, & a total surprise. I did not see that coming. Interesting that you say the movie "haunted" you for weeks. I think I'm going to be right there with you! I agree, it was not an appropriate film for fifth graders! Maybe for teens it would be okay, if the teen was very mature AND was psychologically prepared for the difficutlt subject matter.

Graywings, I wondered myself about that when I saw the previews! I thought, "Looks beautfiul, epic, touching, but if the horse gets hurt...can I take it?" Then the reviews I read never mentioned how some scenes may be troubling for "sensitive viewers!" In fact, I kept reading about how "schmaltzy" & "contrived" it was! Okay, I thought. Schmaltzy I can do.

Well, save for one (notable) scene, there's not much schmaltz going on in this film. BY the time you get to the schmalzty part, my gosh, you feel like you've (& the characters especially) have EARNED some schmalzt by goly!

I literally lost a pound watching this movie! Of course I was just sitting there, but my heart must have been pounding so hard!

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I'm so glad that you started this post, SG! I was going to see it this weekend but now have decided to pass on it for the time being. While I can totally admire the artistry of it and the very important message behind it (of which I agree . . . war IS hell), with my own son serving in Afghanistan, I realize from your own reactions that it would probably do me in emotionally. Steven Spielberg is a genius and a fantastic director who I very much admire, but this films sounds like one I need to skip . . . at least until this awful war is over and our brave soldiers home again.
    Thank you!
    Lynn

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

My son saw it and then called and told me that I shouldn't go see it. Heck - I can cry at pepsi commercials so I knew it wasn't for me. But I will see it when it becomes available for home viewing.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

I have a secret fantasy that Speilberg will create a set of DVDs first on American history, then on world history, and give it free to the public schools. Can you imagine?

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I don't think I want to see this one. It sounds like a great movie but too upsetting for some people. Thanks for posting about this stinky.

bestyears, that's a great idea.

• User
    12 years ago

I really want to see War Horse after learning that it was set in Iddesleigh, Devon - about an hour north of where I'll be visiting in March!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I will probably do the same as Marie Cate and wait till I can watch it at home. Personally, I like movies better that make me cry that those that make me laugh! Weird?

My husband and I both want to see it. I also want to see the one with Tom Hanks about 9/11. Another tear-jerker I'm sure!!

tina

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynn, first of all, your son is incredibly brave, & I so admire & appreciate his commitment & service. Yes, I can see how the timing may not be the best for you right now. I think you would like the movie, & indeed, you would appreciate the artistry, as you so well put it, but at another time.

Maire, I know...Pepsi & Folger's holiday commercials have brought a tear to my eye!

Bestyears, that's a fabulous idea. Spielberg is so incredibly gifted, & he explores lessons of history in a manner that does indeed pull up intense emotions, but therefore connects so powerfully with us. Not too many people know how to do that!

Nancy, that's understandable. Maybe when it comes out on dvd you may decide to watch it. I am glad I saw it, but it isn't a "gather the whole family, everyone should see this" sort of movie either...at all!

Auntjen...omg, the photography, the images, the scenes of that village, are stunningly beautiful! How fortunate you are to be visiting nearby! You may find it interesting that the book was written 40 years ago, & I read that the author conducted interviews with residents of that village who were WWI survivors. He said that next best thing to being in the place & time you are writing about is to interview people who were there, & that's how he pieced together this incredible story.

Tina, yes, I too seem to be drawn to tear-jerkers, & I was just telling someone that the next movie I want to see is the movie about 911 with Tom Hanks, LOL! (Glutton for punishment?) If you like movies that make you cry, War Horse won't disappoint. I'm not talking, "bring a tissue!" but "bring a box of Kleenex!" However, be prepared, it's not just sad...some scenes for me at least, were really upsetting.

It's really helpful to learn what others think about the film. I feel a sense of relief, in a way, that others were really impacted by it. When I left the theater I noticed that the rest of the audience didn't seem so torn up. Of course, who knows what others were thinking? Some people just don't show how they feel on the outside. I was certainly trying my best to gain my composure as I exited the theater as well...not an easy task when one has mascara streaked allover their face!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

This is the movie Kate Middleton was crying at and someone else famous was comforting her (can't remember who). It's nice to know she has a heart!

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

I will probably wait till I can see it at home but it is one i don't want to miss.

Stinky I totally get it about *feeling* a movie more acutely than some people. My brain is often unable to protect me from the movie and the emotion it evokes. My boys and DH don't understand because, after all, it's just a movie, not real, the blood is fake, the aliens don't exist, the car didn't really blow up - whatever. When I read a (good) book, I'm there, the scenes are real, the characters rattle around in my brain long after I finish the story. Take that story to a visual image, not just the one I create (generally more safely) in my head, and the distinction between emotions from real life and a story blur even further for me. Now, don't go thinking I'm not operating with a full deck - I do know what's real and what isn't!!! But there's a part of my brain that mingles the feelings and emotions I've experienced from a story with those from real life - they all feel the same to me and take time to dissipate. Once in a while it's a problem carrying those emotions from a movie around with me because they can impact how I move through my day.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy, that's interesting! Kate & I could have ruined our mascara together!

Dlm, thanks for your comment. I so appreciate that! Yes, I am definitely carrying those emotions around with me still.

Even when I was a little girl, I thought that horses were magnificent, majestic animals, but I will never, I promise you, ever, see a horse the same way again after seeing this movie. What amazing creatures!

• texanjana
    12 years ago

I want to see it, but also think I will wait until I am in a better place emotionally.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found this about Kate at the premiere! She looks gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Looking fab/mascara dabbed

• natal
    12 years ago

Ever since seeing Sophie's Choice in a theater I've opted to save the heart-tugging films for at-home viewing. This one is on my list.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Texanjana & Natal...sounds very rational!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Stinky, in the article that you linked I read that Benedict Cumberbatch is in it. He's the lead in "Sherlock" on PBS and he's excellent! What did you think of him in "War Horse"?

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nance, I had to look him up. He played a major in the cavalry, & it was a very small part, but yes, he was excellent, & very well cast in the role.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor