SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

Tombstones for Halloween!

jamie_mt
19 years ago

I posted this over on the Holiday forum, but wanted to post it here too, in case any of you crafty people have some ideas or suggestions for me. :-) Here's my original post:

My DH and I are planning our first "hopefully annual" Halloween party this year, and our theme is "A Halloween Fantasy". So we want to go "all out" with the decorations both inside and out, to create a halloween "fantasy land" of sorts. Yes, it's a great excuse to get a fog machine, but that's beside the point. LOL

Anyways, I want to make tombstones for the front lawn with all of our invited guests' initials on them (and a couple for ourselves too). And maybe a one-liner about each of them so they can figure out who's is whose. :-) I have no idea how I'm going to light them up yet (we currently have no power outside...though extension cords from the garage might work), but that's beside the point - I'll figure it out later. ;-) For now, I need to figure out the easiest way to actually make them...

I was thinking about craft styrofoam, painted somehow. But I'm not sure how paint will work on that...cardboard would be the easiest, but it's very likely that it will rain or snow before or during the party (which will be on the 29th), so I kind of wanted something more "weatherproof".

So does anyone have any ideas on how to either make the cardboard weatherproof, or paint on styrofoam?

Wait a second...now that I think about it, maybe I could make them fabric over wire frames instead (or even over cardboard covered with plastic?), and then paint the names and sayings on them in glow-in-the-dark paint? The fabric would dry out after rain or snow, and then half my lighting problem would be solved too...hmm...

Anyways, any ideas? :-) I'm going to turn my half-whiskey barrel by the door into a cauldren with black trash bags and wire, with those glow-sticks under saran wrap for lighting, and we'll carve pumpkins for the stairs, hang a broom on the door, and a host of other things...lots of work to do! :-)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz