SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollr_gw

New Home Appraisals

hollr
10 years ago

I'm curious what to expect. Our home is almost finished. I know when we applied for the construction loan, they gave an initial appraisal based primarily on comps. These comps were in a neighboring town and were very standard, builder grade homes. Our home is only 1500 sq ft, but we really customized the interior. There isn't much that I'd consider builder grade. Plus, the neighboring town isn't as desirable of a location. I assume the appraisal value will be higher somewhat due to the finishes, but how does it work when there aren't any true comps to consider when deciding the value?

Also, what interior finishes actually add value and what are simply "nice features to have"? Our nicer upgrades include higher end cabinets that are white with a dark glaze, granite counters, and all stainless steel appliances. The floors in the living room, dining room, kitchen, mudroom, and laundry room are all stained concrete. We installed radiant heated flooring in all of those rooms plus both bathrooms. We put granite counters and copper sinks in the bathrooms. We also have a see-through fireplace between the living room and dining room that will be stoned with a solid walnut mantel that wraps all the way around it. We didn't build a huge house or anything... We just built what we needed and put the features we liked since we plan on staying here. I'm wondering if any of it will be reflected in the appraisal along with the comps issue.

Comments (13)