Best beef flavoring base
16 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (13)
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
Related Discussions
Best way to store rendered beef fat - and to render it
Comments (22)robin_d - Do you remember when McDonald's french fries were so good? They formerly used a small amount of beef fat in the shortening. I try to avoid junk food, but I would make an exception for those fries! I can only imagine how good they would be in all beef fat. We did get our half cow last year, and have enjoyed the meat very much. Unfortunately, my request for the fat and all the bones for stock was passed from me to DH to the butcher. The result was that I got the usual soup bones, but all the long bones and fat were disposed of. The butcher did tell DH that we could have all the bones we wanted any time, because most people don't want them. One of these days I'll take him up on the offer, and I'll ask for all that connective tissue as well. Since the butchers normally pay to get rid of these, I imagine other butchers would be glad to get rid of them as well. Fat is one thing that I don't like to store in plastic, as it absorbs molecules of plastic quite easily. I imagine this absorption no longer occurs once frozen, but would be even faster than normal when the fat is warm. I realize that this isn't a concern for most people! ".........When you buy beef to be butchered, you pay for the hanging weight of the side/whole/quarter on the hook after the obvious parts are disposed of. Hooves, head, etc., and it's sectioned. That's how our local butchers do it, anyway. It's your call within bounds what you want off it and how you want it since you have paid for it by the weight........" calliope - that's the system used around here as well. We also paid a slight fee for the wrapping, that was either based on the pound or the number of pieces wrapped - I forget which. One reason I didn't go back and get some fat from another cow was that I particularly wanted the healthier fat from a grass-fed animal. It occurs to me now that I can call up the farmer who sold us the cow and ask when they are taking another animal in to be butchered. Of course the 100 mile drive was also a factor! Fortunately there are some great German restaurants in the town where our butcher is located, so it makes a nice outing....See MoreWatering strategy for best flavor?
Comments (2)My tomato plants get huge, and I barely ever water them. One inch per week or so in rain means I do not water them. And they taste very good. I read about planting basil and carrots around tomatoes, basil for taste and carrots cause tomatoes supposedly suck the nutrients out of them. Could be an old tale, but I can see how it was started... tomatoes stun carrot growth, so the opposite must be true ;). Anyway, I got a couple basil plants near my tomatoes and craploads of carrots covering the ground below :P Thankfully my dog appears to be half rabbit or something... loves them carrots. Google companion planting... not something I would swear by, just a case of "if it doesn't hurt, try it incase it helps :P" Carrot seeds are like $.80 per packet....See MoreBest Beef for Shish Kabob?
Comments (10)I agree, use good beef. I've never used tenderloin because it just seems wrong, LOL, but I mostly use top sirloin. I like it very, very rare, so I usually have to cook the vegetables a bit first, especially the onions (which I love, so I have to use them). I marinate mine in Jessica's lime-chipotle marinade, or Nancy (wizardnm's) Asian Marinade. I know Nancy's recipe said "for chicken" but I use it on beef. I love them both, but they are completely different flavors depending on what you like and are hungry for. Or you could marinate chicken in the lime chipotle and beef in teriyaki.... Lime-Chipotle Sauce (Jessica at CF) Food processor: 1/2 cup honey 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobado sauce (WAAAY too much for me, the heat wus) 3 tablespoons brown mustard 1/2 cup lime juice 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro Season with salt and pepper Serve sauce as a marinade grilled meats, poultry, and fish if your guests don't get to it first with tortilla chips. Makes 1 1/2 cups. Asian Marinade for Chicken Breast I have never given this recipe out, but now it's time. Let me know what you think. Chicken done in this is flavorful and leftovers make a great salad the next day. enough for 5 lbs of chicken breasts 1C veg oil 1/4 C sesame oil 3/4 C soy sauce (Kikkomen) 1/3 C minced garlic 4 Tblsp minced ginger 2/3 C minced cilantro 5-6 green onions 1 tsp grd blk pepper I put the onions, ginger and cilantro in the food processor and pulse till chopped fine. Combine all and marinate chicken breasts, up to 24 hrs. but at least 1 hr if you can I have also put marinade in a freezer bag with chicken and frozen (good to do with the left over) Nancy Annie (who still has beef in the freezer)...See MoreBetter Boy vs. Big Beef - Best Tasting/Performing VFN+ Tomato Contest
Comments (16)Dave Even Rutgers VF which is very reliable and a good producer in most places is a borderline variety here. I assume because it's not nematode resistant. VF varieties like Rutgers and presumably Jet Star don't do well here either as they lack the "N" after their names. Here the more "letters" a variety has after it's name the better. That's why you will hardly ever see Bonnie selling heirloom plants at Home Depot because they would go out of business as none of their customers plants would survive. When people ask me what varieties will grow here I tell them to look at what varieties Bonnie is selling at Home Depot. Bonnie can't afford to sell plants that die and don't produce. It's not me as Better Boy, Sweet 100 and Black Cherry perform well here. BTW: you're right Yellow Pear is a total zero a true "tofu" tasteless tomato lacking any flavor of it's own and most others agree. Dry Powder, Tight Lines & Green Thumbs...See More- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

EDIBLE GARDENSWhy Grow Quince? For Beauty, Fragrance and Old-Time Flavor
Delightfully perfumed fruit and lovely spring blossoms make this apple and pear cousin worth a spot in the garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHerb Garden Essentials: Versatile Cilantro Adds Flavor to Herb Gardens
Love it or hate it, this cool-season herb contributes its unique flavor to any number or the world’s cuisines
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Contemporary Kitchen With French Cafe Flavor
Interior designer Tom Long gets creative with materials to build a custom kitchen with a dash of old-school French charm
Full Story
RUSTIC STYLEHouzz Tour: Home’s Idaho Flavor Balances Rustic and Luxe
Local flora, fauna and textures come together in this relaxing vacation house on the state’s largest lake
Full Story
FURNITUREUse Wicker and Rattan for a Tropical Flavor All Year Round
Find out more about what separates — and unites — these classic materials
Full Story
DECORATING STYLES9 Ways to Bring Moroccan Flavor to Your Interiors
Get a rich and exotic look minus the souk haggling, using these shortcuts to Moroccan style
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSGreat Design Plant: Roselle Tantalizes With Beauty and Flavor
Call it a fruit or a flower or a sweet vegetable. This hibiscus is so lovely, all that matters is calling it forth in your garden
Full Story
Guest Picks: 20 Teapots With Unusual Flavor
Perk up your Easter brunch or everyday breakfast with tea served in a pot that charms with character
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESShapely Coral Sparks Summer Decor
Sea coral isn't just for beach homes — natural and faux versions bring coastal flavor to any style
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSThe Enticing Garden: How to Grow Bananas
Sweeten your dining table with surprising flavors of banana cultivars while adding tropical flavor to your garden
Full Story
markb