SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102524

Big new build next door & drainage concerns

User
9 years ago

I'm not totally sure if this is the right forum (I have spent most of my time on the Kitchens & Home Decorating forums here) so please tell me if this is a question better suited for another forum.

I live just outside DC, in an area where there are a lot of tear-downs but also still many original homes in the 1200-2000 sqft range. We bought our house (old, but expanded) about a decade ago and will be here at least until our kids graduate high school (13 more years for the youngest, not that I'm counting.)

The 1000 sqft house next door was recently sold to a flipper, who is planning a 9000 sqft house in its place. This is at least twice as big as the largest new builds on our street, and the flipper doesn't have the best track record, so I'm a little freaked out what it's going to look like. But I'm most concerned about the excavation and how it will impact our backyard. Our front yards are at a slightly lower grade, but the backyards are separated by a 12-15ft tall concrete block retaining wall that predates us. In other words, his backyard is above our heads, if that makes sense. The previous owners installed a wooden fence on top of the retaining wall to keep their dogs in the yard.

The flipper had to get a sediment control plan approved by the county, and they have reasonably high standards around here. I know he had to do revisions before it was approved.

However, when the sediment control plan was submitted and approved, he indicated the house size would be 6000 sqft, and now he's increased it by 1/3. Setbacks apparently limit the perimeter of the house to about 3000sqft (of a 15k sqft lot), so apparently the plan is for a 50ft wide by 60ft deep home of 3.5 stories. He has already received his building permit, and if we were to going to object we'd need to do so ASAP (30 day time frame.)

I can get a copy of both the sediment plan and the building plans from the county. If I go this route, what should I be looking for? Should I preemptively try to find an expert or retain some kind of assistance to protect my own property from runoff? What should I do about the retaining wall? We also have 3 very large, very old trees and I need to figure out if they will be safe as well. He's already said he will trim some overhanging branches, which is his right. But should I do anything to protect the root system?

Fwiw, we don't have buckets of extra money to spend, and we're not looking to cause trouble for the flipper. But I don't trust him to look out for our best interests, and we figure we should at least do a bit of research in advance. Thanks for any help, even if it's just to tell me to post this query elsewhere....

Comments (8)