SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Advice? - Carless 4 Months and Counting!

sweeby
11 years ago

So back in September, my 17-year old son had an accident in my car. The collision was what my husband calls a 'T-bone' -- where our car was hit directly in the driver's side door by another car's front end. Luckily, no one was hurt, but my car was pretty badly damaged.

The body shop did the repair in three phases. First phase was to assess the damages. Phase two was to replace the door. And Phase three, which was a "We'll see if it's necessary after Phase two" situation, involves replacing the 'engine cradle' -- the pretty important major part that holds the engine in place. Apparently, it was damaged in the crash, but the damage wasn't apparent until midway through the repair work.

Well - the problem is that the engine cradle part is not available for my car. It's been on back order for months now, with no estimated availability date in sight.

And I've been without my car now for 4 months and counting!

My question is -- Do any of you wise and clever people have any brilliant ideas?

Some other details:

- We decided not to carry rental car coverage because I work from home and that coverage only covered the first 30-days for a rental car. (The body shop gave us a free rental for the first 60 days anyway because the repair bill was so high...)

- We already did call the dealer for that make of car, and scoured the US online for USED parts. No luck.

- We asked our insurance company about just 'totaling' the car (it was close) or buying us out, but substantial repairs have already been made, so no dice.

Any ideas?

Comments (27)