SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Did you sign a contract before...

jenswrens
13 years ago

construction plans were complete?

(NB: Obviously, I am getting a lawyer to review the contract and advise me as well but haven't found him/her yet. The architect/draftsperson who has been revising our plans works for the contractor so no help there.) On that note...

We were presented with a contract that has only the floorplan and exterior elevations as the "contract drawings" and a very limited list of materials called "contract specifications" (many of which are incorrect for our specific build or just completely missing). This is the contract they want us to sign before they make up the actual construction drawings. I think they also want us to give them 15% of the total price right now when we sign the contract before we've even seen the construction drawings. Is this typical?

For example, when I asked about adding recessed lighting (that spec list calls for only 4 cans in the entire house) and specifying things on the electrical and plumbing plans such as location of outlets in the kitchen or plumbing for an extra sink to be added later, they said we would sit down together and do that after the contract was signed (and $$ was paid). Do people sign contracts before seeing detailed plans (lighting, plumbing, etc) and specs?

I am also confused about paying out this huge chunk of change (15% of total) before I even know if I will be able to build (we may not get approved by the town for multiple reasons). We need these stamped construction drawings to go before the zoning board to get our variances which we must have before any building permits will be issued. Contractor tells us that everything will be contingent upon our getting approved (which of course isn't stated in the current contract) but I don't want to be in the situation of trying to get our money back if we're not. We've already paid for the architect/design, fwiw.

Where in the entire process did the permitting and zoning board approvals occur in your building/contract experience?

When in the process did you get your construction loan? After the permits were issued or before? I don't see getting a loan on something I may or may not build.

What am I missing here? I'm sure I'm misinterpreting something in the contract - hence the need for the lawyer - but this is my best understanding of what they are telling me about the process, and something just doesn't seem right to me. I'm having a really hard time trying to wrap my brain around all of this stuff. Can you help enlighten me? What would you suggest (besides contacting that lawyer)?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert