SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
folkvictorian

Do you like to shop at thrift stores?

folkvictorian
14 years ago

I LOVE thrift stores, junk stores, second-hand stores, you name it, I love it. On Saturday I found a set of three brand new Henckels knives for $4.99 at Good Will. The knives were still in their original package and it looked like someone may have received them as a (wedding?) gift, tore open the package, and then let them collect dust until they were donated to Good Will. The 8" chef's knife alone is $50 at Macy's and these knives are so incredibly sharp and nice!

I also like searching thrift stores for clothes, especially jeans, since I know they're as shrunk as they're going to get. I know they'll fit me when I get them home and wash and dry them instead of like brand new jeans that can change shape considerably after the first washes and dries.

I know we have thrifty shoppers on Gardenweb. What do you like to get for a bargain? Or do you never shop at junk stores -- and why not?

Comments (66)

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

"Shopping GW is not an effort. All the ones in my area are in huge retail shopping areas with grocery chain stores, post office, dry cleaners, and whatnot, or shopping centers that have the typical stores like Home Depot, Big Lots, Fashion Bug, KMart, and the like. They are not located out of the way,"

Dilly, it's not the location that makes it tough--we have a GW superstore very close in just that kind of mall. It's the *time* and effort I just don't see how I myself could incorporate. Guess like anything else if it was very important I would make time. However, because thrifting is by definition a treasure hunt and because I just don't have time to spend on a sort of general search for something interesting, thrift stores don't really work for me. I'm curious, are you also working FT? Just asking cuz if so please give me some helpful hints, I could use them!

I also think it's probably true that different areas probably have different levels of 'goodies'. For example I live in an extremely transient place, without a multi-century history. In Miami Florida there simply are not a lot of hidden granny antique treasures in attics or basements. There in fact are no basements, attics tend to run about a hundred degrees with 90 percent humidity and granny relocated from NY and sold all the good stuff before she got here anyway :).

Ah well, I'll just keep vicariously enjoying the pictures of treasures...

Ann

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Ah yes, location does matter I'm sure. If you live in a transient area that most people moved to after paring down their clutter for retirement you won't find many treasures in your locale.

It even matters greatly on what side of town one lives on. The 'college areas' do not have much in the line of thrift shops unless you count those vintage resale boutiques with not so cheap prices. There is no Goodwill stores downtown either nestled between the law offices and banks.

As far as finding the time well, you mention family commitments that you have, and I do not have to cater to a husband or juggle the needs of children all day. I am lucky. I am also older. I agree, that raising a family along with the stress of a full time job you say you have would leave very little "me time" for thrifting as a hobby. I learned about thrifting, rummage sales and Goodwill from my mother. Everything we had came in the house second hand. My Mom did a great job creating a beautiful home on very little. She did not work outside the home though, and had more time for refinishing and painting furniture and selecting just the right second hand lamps and dishes to make it all 'come together' nicely.

• Related Discussions

Do you shop specials at different stores?

Q

Comments (28)
    Can see each other huh? Hmm. Close the shades? Or can you see Russia from your house too?? Oops, I got OT... Much depends on the situation. Although I shop different stores at different times I do different things. First, I do not do the Cost/'sClub places. No way will I pay $50/year to not shop there. Nope. I got suckered into that for a while and was given membership as a gift and finally said no more - won't go there. Too expensive and too time consuming for me. I sometimes will just pick it up if I'm in a place. For instance if I'm in a gas station and need a loaf of bread - I'll buy it there. Maybe it's a little more but saves a trip. Around here we don't have a lot of choice on markets. There's basically 2 big names and a few small ones. The one small one that I really liked, Festival, was bought out by SuperValu and things have deteriorated. It was a more upscale place but had a great meat market and for general things, yes a little more expensive but I liked patronizing a small chain and again, convenience. Not a giant store. But now it's part of the conglomerate so I don't go there often. Then there's the other mid-sized, Lund's and Byerly's which one bought the other. They're a very upscale place and the one catered more to a select clientele and their prices were never cheap but quality was good. But I don't have one nearby so it doesn't really matter. Then the one place I'd like to shop more is Thriftway but it's just not convenient. They're a place that's been around a long long time, family owned and they have some decent specials. They cater to the neighborhood and I wish them well. Wish they were in my neighborhood. The chain that I really miss is Country Club Markets. They were a small grocery store with good prices but the employees decided to play games and they shot themselves in the foot, so they're long gone. I had one nice and close and it was great. (heavy sigh) I will take the ads if I need things and look them over and make a list for the two big stores (Cub and Rainbow) and then compare. If it's only a few cents difference there's no sense making 2 stops. I like Rainbow's meat department where Cub's is now pretty much only prepackaged, however Cub generally is cheaper on the dry goods unless a special. Plus Cub now has an interesting dollar area with some bargains there for $1 - aluminum foil, body wash, spices, chips, etc. I'm finding myself finding more and more at Aldi though. I like the place. Problem is you never know what you can get there. They have it one time doesn't mean they'll have it next time. But the prices are unreal by comparison. I've been tracking them and most of the time if they have it, it's substantially cheaper but of course, not always. Target is converting all small stores to P-fresh so they have more groceries and they're very competitive on a lot of things too. But again it'd require multiple stops to take advantage of everything so I have to be in the mood and feeling up to it. This time of year there's a lot of deals to be had so it might require multiple stops. Plus it depends on how I feel. If I'm real stiff and sore I want little time in a store.
    ...See More

why do builders want you to shop at specific stores?

Q

Comments (12)
    My experience is that I told my contractors upfront that I wanted to buy my appliances, sink, fixtures, tile, and lighting myself. They were fine with that because we decided it upfront, I was very specific, and there was no waffling on my part (i.e., like "um, OK, some of the stuff I want to buy, and some you should buy, OK?"). Contractors HATE uncertainty, whether it's delivery time, lack of specifications, or the scope of work of what they're to be doing. So, if they can control those things, they can control costs and work time. So, the contractor steering you to favored suppliers, or having the contractor himself make those purchases gives him that control over how smoothly the entire project will go. If you feel confident in your abilities to source, purchase, and oversee fixtures and materials, you should do it, but you must be very specific with your contractor about it, and put it in writing in the Scope of Work. If you think you may be uncertain, or end up waffling, or not making decisions, you should go with your contractor's suggestions. BTW, my electrician was actually relieved I was to buy all the lighting, receptacles and switches. He didn't like dealing with that stuff, and having to sort out part numbers, lead times, and the like. He said "I'm an electrician, not a parts salesman".
    ...See More

Why do builders want you to shop at specific stores?

Q

Comments (35)
    "if you buy a Delta Faucet at HD, it's the same exact faucet you get at Ferguson or Amazon or anywhere so shopping at restrictive and often more expensive stores to placate your contractor is saving him money not you. " This is simply not true. Read aidan_m 's post. Specifically... "Nobody can ever convince me that the plastic faucet and the brass faucet are the same thing. The box and packaging look different. The plastic one says "Manufactured by ______ for _____ box store" The real one just has the name brand and model number. Once out of the box, both look identical. But when you pick them up, one is heavy brass, the other is light plastic. The finish on the plastic looks just like the finish on the metal. " I've dealt with it myself and it isn't just plumbing fixtures. "I've gotten better lumber from HD by hand selecting boards then when I ordered from 84 lumber " 84 is a small step above HD.
    ...See More

Used furniture/FREE off CL/Thrift store find. Do you thrift? New only?

Q

Comments (37)
    I loved reading this post during the week. Now I'm in front of my computer and can participate! We've spent that past four years redecorating most of our small house. Of all that, the only new things purchased were our bedroom furniture, including the bed + a side table, lamp and chair. There are many reasons for buying used furniture, housewares, cars and clothing. #1 I like things I can't afford new. #2 New things are usually too big and bulky for our small bungalow #3 I'm a hunter/scavenger In this room, only the bar cart was new. Everything else was flea market, consignment stores, 1st dibbs and craigslist. The mirror was my grandmothers. Some of these things were definitely not cheap. In this room, only the upholstered furniture, rug and the gold/mirror side table were new. Everything else was a gift or came from consignment stores (near & far), eBay, 1st dibbs, The RealReal and estate sales. Like the other room, not everything in here was cheap, but it was affordable for my budget.
    ...See More
  • roobear
    14 years ago

Yes, I shop at Goodwill and various other ones I have in my area, it's always fun to leave with something unexpected.

Anyone ever been brave enough to shop at a Goodwill Outlet Store?

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

ooh there is such a thing???
    Ann when my kids were young I didnt have time either. Now i just make time when I can- it is a cheap thrill!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"Anyone ever been brave enough to shop at a Goodwill Outlet Store?"

What?!? Tell us more!

• roobear
    14 years ago

Cooper, yes, but it's a different shopping experience from the regular Goodwill Stores. LOL.

• roobear
    14 years ago

There are a few Outlet Stores, you can check out the Goodwill website to find out if there is one in your area. The Goodwill website also has a neat online shopping auction section where you can pick up some neat things-a Goodwill version of Ebay.

At the Outlet stores everything is sold by the pound, usually like 2.50 for the first 20lbs and then it drops down in price with the more pounds worth of stuff that you buy. So it's very possible to get things for pennies.

Nothing is sorted, cleaned, etc.- everything is just thrown into large bins and you basically have to rummage through them to find your treasures. I'm talking rows and rows of bins with a furniture area off to one side. If your brave enough to go, I highly recommend you wear gloves and maybe a mask for the not so nice smells you can encounter from bin to bin.

The furniture is usually all priced under 5.00. Good bargains can be found, but it takes some effort, time, and a fearless attitude.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop Goodwill Online

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

oh, I had surgery and can no longer really bend over and lift stuff from bins so that leaves out bin rummage . I am fearless and I do have gloves and masks.I will check to see if a GW outlet is near me just to see.
    You know I really like my GWs they are cheaper and nicer than the SAs in my area. I have looked at the online GW auction but I need instant gratification from the hunt! LOL
    Thanks Roobear! I find it amazing that there are GW outlets at the north pole but have never heard of them in the metropolis here! :)
    This thread makes me want to go to GW this weekend!

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

oh not that I will rummage through big bins, at least not without a "bin helper", my curiosity is just piqued! big time.

• roobear
    14 years ago

Cooper, LOL. :) Just make sure you or your "bin helper" watch out for sharp objects like broken glass.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I just googled and the only one considered to be an outlet GW is in a tough area,( much rougher than the north pole I imagine) so I will skip it. but it was fun to learn somthing new.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

I can't say I've ever shopped at GW. However I do donate throughout the year to a local thrift store which bebefits the Children"s Seashore House as well as the local GW.

Like Pesky, I don't really have alot of extra time, so I definitely do not want to spend my precious free time weeding through the thrift stores on the off chance I will find exactly what I need. I don't have a love affair with shopping anyway, so if I do have to shop, I to go directly to the stores that I know will more than likely have what I am looking for.

I don't think I would buy clothing from GW. When DD was growing quickly, we would give and get hand-ne-downs from friends and famiy. I guess I would rather buy new clothes or do without depending on my budget.

Roobear writes - "Nothing is sorted, cleaned, etc.- everything is just thrown into large bins and you basically have to rummage through them to find your treasures. I'm talking rows and rows of bins with a furniture area off to one side. If your brave enough to go, I highly recommend you wear gloves and maybe a mask for the not so nice smells you can encounter from bin to bin." ----- Well, that just creeps me out. I do know that GW and other similar thrif-type stores actually get pennies on the pound for items that are in their shops that don't sell over a certain period of time.

I have seen some great GW finds posted here on this forum, and I think I too will vicariously enjoy your finds.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I checked the link. No GW outlet in my state or even in neighboring states. No wonder I never heard of them. Darn. I was all set for some real intense Goodwill shopping.

I loved the 'tips' in that link like "Goodwill Outlet locations are usually very busy. The customers can sometimes get aggressive." LOL. My Goodwill is pretty well behaved though. It is funny when they roll a fresh cart of merchandise out though. You can hear the wheels and the clatter and the cart emerges from the swinging [employees only] door. Suddenly everyone in the store no matter where they are and no matter what they were looking at, slowly and ever so quietly, start shuffling in the direction of the cart like slow moving Zombies. They surround the cart and shift around a bit taking it all in with their eyes, then arms start moving out and snatching items. There is no speaking. Only silence. When the cart has been picked clean of desirable items, the worker, who has been killing a couple minutes still standing nearby, now begins to grab items to be placed around the store as merchandise. I swear 90% of GW items never make it to the store shelves. They get grabbed right off of the cart.

One good tip they gave is "Keep your finds close to you. People will shop out of your cart, if given the chance." Oooooh, do I hate that. I've caught people swiping stuff out of my cart more than once. I went shopping with a friend who kept walking away from the cart and I kept warning him that people will grab good stuff they see right out of your cart if you turn your head or walk away for a second. I've also been vulturized when I an holding a choice item to see if I set it down for a second and then 'whoosh' if I do. That's my fault for letting it out of my hands though. One time I found an Art Deco train case in perfect condition, hand crafted famous maker, leather, chrome, gorgeous. I stood it on its side to see how it would look as an end table, and a guy sprinted by grabbing it and kept on running. It happened so fast all I could do was drop my jaw in surprise. Fun times!

Yup, my Goodwill is that good.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Oy. I didn't get those quotes from Roobear's link. I found them while searching for outlet info. I added a link below with the tips. I somehow don't think I would enjoy having to Goodwill shop in a hazmat suit. One thing I love out the GW stores in my area is they are so clean with sparkling white floors, they smell good and have good lighting, huge roomy dressing rooms, wide aisles and the racks aren't stuffed. The employees are friendly and wear bright uniforms. The merchandise changes over fast. Never do you see the same item hanging around for weeks waiting for a buyer.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Goodwill

• roobear
    14 years ago

"I somehow don't think I would enjoy having to Goodwill shop in a hazmat suit."

Dilly, LOL. That link was great, I agree I prefer my regular Goodwills for all the same reasons. :)

• roobear
    14 years ago

Cooper, that's unfortunate, guess you'll have to imagine the strange smells from a distance. LOL.

Ours isn't located in too bad of a neighborhood, I did bring DH along though in case I encountered any of the aggressive people I read about on the reviews, but going once was enough to satisfy my curiosity, I don't think I could go again. LOL.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

*Clothing, accessories, housewares and toys: 59 cents per pound for 50 pounds or more*

Holy cow! It's a crafters dream.

Thanks for the tip on Goodwill outlet stores. I'm going to share this on the trash to treasure type sites I visit.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I never used to shop at thrift (or rarely) in alaska because it was really mostly crap, and badly displayed crap at that...I refuse to dig through crap, even if a Renoir is on the bottom (ok if I knew...)

But here, gad I love the thrift stores. Mom turned me onto the goodwill (it's great here and in another close town). I love the bargains. I'm currently spotting cut glass at less than five bucks a piece (mom says I pay too much LOL) and she just picked up a very expensive children's table and chairs for DS for under ten bucks. I adore the hunt because I can hit the toy isle and get ds a piece of goober truck, then donate it back the next week when he forgets it :)

I'm donating a truck full of stuff to Habitat here in Port townsend soon (extra beds, tables, chairs, etc from the new house). They actually have a great store here...I bought DH 17th century fou dogs for xmas there and some great antique hunting pictures for the house. If DS would just go to school on the days they're open....

I did get chided for shopping at GW once. Seems there is a reverse snobbery there on occasion. But since in all other ways they're lovely, I keep going back and have a great deal of fun with mom. So much so I gave her a GW certificate for christmas (I never buy certificates LOL but it's FUN!)

I'm hoping to find my next ming vase there...ok my only ming vase :oP But one never knows :oP

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

I will truly admit that the Outlets are a bridge too far for even me. I bought a push lawn mower there (someone had told me it was there--I'd never have gone there otherwise) and I was just so DEPRESSED when I came out. I am very tough in this regard--I've lived in all sorts of places, visited all sorts, but the "Outlet", or what I call "where unwanted Goodwill things go to die", is too much.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Oh yes, I forgot about the Goodwill Gift Card. People think I'm joking when I mention the gift cards.

Another thing is that when you spend over $20 you get 10% off of the entire purchase if you sign up for the GW Shoppers Club AND you can combine discounts too. So when it is your b-day and they send you that neato 25% off coupon in the mail you get to use both discount deals on the entire order. GW also prints coupons in the local paper for various seasonal sales like clothing during Halloween. They also sell brand new dollar store type costume items to make it one stop shopping for Halloween costumes. They let you use the coupons AND your shoppers club card. AND Mondays are half off on certain color ticket items.

If I ever travel near one of those GW outlet stores I'm checking it out.

Ready. Set. GO!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"where unwanted Goodwill things go to die"

Nope. According to this article resellers work full time "picking" the bins (as they are affectionately called) and make a living selling the items to vintage boutiques in urban trendy neighborhoods. It's not the end of the line. Some items live on and on.

Here is an article below about resellers who buy from the bins.

After seeing all the photos of the clothing bins there I think I am going to pack away my moon suit. It looks like too much for me. I don't care how many woolie sweaters for felting are buried or how cool the vintage buttons are for claiming for projects.

Here is a link that might be useful: Resellers

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

If I spend more than $15 I get "points" and after a certain number of points I get % off, but I've never heard of the 10% off $20 purchase and they don't send my coupon for my bday. I *am* in their system for points. Is there a separate registration for the coupons/shopper's card?

Yes, I stopped by yesterday (told myself - and DH - it was to check how much they had marked the furniture we donated on Sunday, for tax purposes). I spent $5 - $2 on 4 coffee cups from pattern I hope to buy to replace one I don't like, I've had for almost 20 years, $1 on brand new (shrinkwrapped) Melissa and Doug 48-pc wooden puzzle (future gift for niece), $1 on Hello Kitty lunch box for DD, and $1 for brand new (in mesh bag, with tag) nylon utensils. Then stopped by SA just to look at furniture (near furniture store downtown and I still had time on meter), spent $2 on NIP swim goggles for DS (every pair I've bought him leaks - but I won't be out too much if these do too) and $2.99 on brand-new (original Target marked down sticker $3.48) Xmas pie/cookie tote (DD says we can even fit a single-layer cake in it). DH is tired of me bringing home all this "junk" but these are things we can use (OK, DD doesn't need a new lunchbox *yet* but she will eventually - prob. next year).

It's hard to buy the kids clothes there, though I used to all the time, since they don't take returns if they don't fit. I can sometimes get DD to come with me and try things on, or if not I have a pretty good idea of her size. DS is harder - and getting to the age where boys wear out clothes faster than growing out of them. But we *did* take him to Savers (which does allow returns, but one in this state is too far away to go every week), got him new-looking LL Bean parka for $15 (I got one too, a little more worn) and some other items - incl. NWT Ralph shirt for $8.

Oh, spent too long online - gotta get to Y! Igloo, even if there *were* was Renoir at the bottom of the pile, it would have a hole punched in it from all the junk they threw on top. Though it still *might* be worth the cost of restoration LOL.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Ajsmama , I believe that every Goodwill corporate store operated semi-interdependently and most likely has different promos.

I did error on the 'over $20' discount. It is 5% not 10%. Here is a list of the discounts my GW offers Club Goodwill is our frequent shopper program.

For our loyal shoppers:

* 5% off any purchase of $20 or more every day
    * 25% off birthday coupon
    * Seniors 15% off Wednesday
    * Students 10% off Saturday
    * Discount coupons by mail
    * Advance notification of sales and promotions (such as Holiday, Halloween and Grand Opening Events)

I think I just have a very good GW in my area. Their website has contest where people can submit photos for 'Dorm Room Makeover' or 'Great Threads' featuring entire outfits put together from GW finds and the 'Nesting' one showing home decorating vignettes. These are all done and submitted by local people.

There is even a decorating blog on the SEW GW website with tips and step-by-step "how to" instructions for trash to treasure transformations. Check out the earring caddy one - how creative! Here is the link to the archived bloggy goodness:

http://www.amazinggoodwill.com/categories/26-merriexpertarchive

Some regional Goodwill stores. Click link below to find the regional website for your area.

www.goodwillsew.com

www.goodwillncw.org

www.seattlegoodwill.org

www.dcgoodwill.org

www.sfgoodwill.org

Here is a link that might be useful: Find YOUR Goodwill

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

dilly, while I recognize your penchant for beginning posts with friendly greetings like "nope", maybe it will help to explain that the clothes that get into those bins in the first place are most often things that didn't sell at the regular GWs. If they're not picked at the Outlet to be resold or crafted with, and not all of them are, then various things happen with them, including being donated internationally or just cut up for rags or whatever else. IOW, "Nope", the two possible outcomes do not actually exclude each other and thus you did not need to negate what I was saying to introduce your link. You could have built upon it.

And I knew about the whole picking culture before I even posted, as I had a neighbor, father of two boys, (they've since moved) who had to do what the UW article talks about for a while when he got laid off from a decent job. He was humiliated and said he actually risked injury when those people would run for the new bins. It was too much for him to bear.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I see you point. I will be much more careful. I can see how a lighthearted 'nope' can be misinterpreted as being confrontational. Sorry.

{{gwi:1491430}}

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Good. I'll expect it. And after all, a little egg-walking is beneficial for the gluteal muscles ;)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

The the real question is......Did she get those snappy silver shoes at Goodwill?!?

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Dilly I just spit out a lovely pinot noir reading your description of the cart coming out of the employees only area! Good god that's so right on LOL

I would NEVER dig in a bin that stunk...I don't care what's in the dang thing, I have standards (they're low, but not that low LOL) and a small child and he'd love the stinky bins and I'd have to leave him there because I'm not taking home a child stinky from stinky bins!

I'm almost too snotty to shop at IKEA but have to admit I really enjoy hitting the two good wills we have here locally :) I purchased a $150 iron for ten bucks last week :) I have one in alaska and was morning it's loss at the winter house. I couldn't believe it was just sitting there waiting for me :) And dilly...I think I bought your mixing bowl last week as well...on a half price pink ticket day heh heh :)

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Fly, I'm in Salem...we've got 2 GW here, plus an Outlet, and one other GW in a sister town. Then in Corvallis and Albany there are GW's too...when I got visit DD in Corvalis I make sure to hit both of them.

The outlet gives me the creeps. I don't know what it is...I just can't handle being there. I HAVE found good things there, and the marked down furniture can't be beat. I've found a few items and with a bit of glue and paint, they're great. I went to the outlet in SE Portland and got DH a perfect Weber grill for $20. He uses it constantly!

My son's GF is a picker/reseller. She finds great stuff and ebays a lot of it, or takes it to the trendy resale places. She's got the stamina for it! I think what bugs me about it is there always seems to be screaming children and that really sets my nerves on edge.

Our GW's have the 'club card' and you get an additional 5% off your purchase over $15. Also every week there is a colored tag 50% off, and there is the birthday discount. We don't get coupons from our stores. Also the senior discount on Wednesdays. You have to be 55 or older, so I don't get it, dang it!

You also accumulate points for every purchase and when you get 200 points you get a $10 gift cert.

Our stores clear the shelves every week, and the cleared items goes to the bins (outlet store). I've figured out their system (as have most of the regulars) so if you know when to go and when the color tags are coming up, you can score big.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Igloo, I knew you were a Goodwill hunting kinda girl! The only place I admit to being eligible for a senior discount is on Weds at GW- 20% is fun.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

dilly_dally....too funny! :0) made me smile...

DH works construction sites.....dumpster diving is still done!!! I'm here to tell ya.....! DH got a brass planter with lion head handles doing just that!

igloo.....too snooty to shop ikea....but U shop GW! I get that! I want expensive stuff cheap....not cheap stuff marked down...but I get the creeps too in those places....now it doesn't stop me from going. :0)

I picked up a pair of Dansk white mesa salt & pepper shakers yesterday. $1.99!!!! I LOVE them! I really wanted antique silver, with glass lining shakers....but....oh well...next trip maybe....

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

If you are a regular at my Goodwill you know the *bump-thump* sound of when one of those carts hits the swinging door ready to emerge. (The employees never hold the door for each other.) Then throughout the store you see 'groundhogging'. That is everybody stretching their neck up and leaning to the right or left to see if it is just a cart of dusty old books or if it is laden down with tasty morsels er, I mean knickknacks, crystal and kitchenware. If the cart is rattling that is the Pavlovian cue to start towards it in a trance-like state.

"Is that a Gump figurine I spy on that cart? OMG!"

"I think that is a real KitchenAid food processor behind that toaster!"

{{gwi:1491432}}

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

pesky, *thanks* for the leads on GWs down there! We'll hit them definitely. I was thinking that Outlet-picking might be good for the younger set--but my neighbor had had a 'real' job and was a father of two and it just hurt his soul. LOVE this recession :(

Our GWs up here have gotten a bit too snooty even for some of their customers--partly because the GW of the Willamette Valley is the highest-revenue generating one in the country...feeds on itself..they charge higher prices and it's a vicious spiral...they've raised the floor for the $10 gift card to $400 (uh, I've gotten two already) and cut the discount to 5% on $20 or more, no higher discount except for seniors and your birthday. They are a bit too big for their britches--but you can tell when someone who hasn't gotten the snooty memo has been at the pricing gun--it's SO refreshing!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Here's a funny story, re "too snooty":

A couple of days ago I was finding a great deal of studio pottery (PNW is a hotbed for it, or should I say a kiln?) at a GW, and a man came up asking if I was a collector, what artists I collect, etc. I played a bit dumb, named one person--he gave me his business card as a prominent eBay seller of MCmodern art/accessories, said if I e-mailed him he would send me pics of the pieces he had (very nice names, some goals of mine). I said "I'd *love* to find a ____ sometime" and he said "well, you won't find it *here*" with a bi*chy little smile. Implication was that I should just give up and buy from him, since nothing good is ever found at GW (except for the thousands of dollars of studio pottery, fine art etc. I have in my house now :)). Only losers shop at GW, duh...

SO, I checked his ebay listings later that day and found a Scandinavian glass piece I'd not chosen at another GW a couple of days ago because I wasn't sure of what it was, right up there ID'd clearly and at opening bid of $99.

So there he was in GW, trying to drum up business for his GW purchases, saying nothing good is ever found there! You can cut the self-hatred/cognitive dissonance with a knife.

I also found an entire dinnerware set by a very prominent, award-winning local potter. I e-mailed him to ascertain that that was indeed his signature, and he replied within minutes "YES, definitely, and I'd love to know how you came to acquire these--they're from early in my career" even though they're a signature look of his. I then went ahead and told him in the kindest way, that I truly love the things I find there and don't sell them...I'd very much appreciate learning how to clean them, if they're dishwasher safe etc...

That was about a month ago. After mentioning GW, I've never heard from him since. I really don't get it; it's not my fault the things ended up there, and I treat them with respect and learn more about the pottery community from them. I even buy things at the Ceramic Showcase at list prices, BECAUSE of what I've learned from my findings at GW. People might as well face the fact that things end up there if people doing the donating don't know what their parents or whoever had. But the insecurity, the insecurity...

• igloochic
    14 years ago

LOL Fly that's so silly and so true :) I find wonderful cut glass burried deep in the back of many shelves of cheap crap from mexico. It is kind of funny...the silverdale gw has this special case where they put stuff that might be antique (but often isn't) or is broken (china set I just looked at) and they price them tripple anything else in the store. I looked at the china last trip because it was a style that appealed to me (I'm collecting lots of different sets for the victorian) and a glass bowl they had some crap in to see what it was (crap filled with crap) but purchased a gorgeous little china piece and a cut glass bowl...both perfect condition, aside from being greasy (grandma's kitchen cleanout I bet) for 4.99 each :) Verses the 20 bucks they wanted for the cheap glass bowl in the cabinet.

Who makes these decisions LOL

When I purchased the iron the gal said it hadn't sold because it was missing it's cord. I sort of laughed...it's a cordless iron :) The cord is in the base and they're wonderful irons for quilting and large linen ironing.

Now if I could just find a robot at the gw who would use the danged iron....

Fly mom buys a lot of gorgeous pottery at the GW :) I don't think she knows much about it, but she has a good eye. It's amazing to see what she scores, even not knowing much about it.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

fly - I don't know *anything* about pottery, but I have found some pretty nice things at thrift stores. You're right, people don't know what they have. I heard our local GW is overpriced, have to try the one right over the state line. But I *just* missed out on an Eastlake dresser for $10 (girl who works in flooring dept at HD got it). And I got my mom some fabric for $8 (forget how many yards - at least 2, two remnants same pattern) that I swear was the Country Curtains silk moire plaid that sells $20/yd.

But not only did we just get the LL Bean jackets, RL shirt (NWT!) and some other very nice clothes for DS at CT Savers, a few years ago when we lived in RI very close to Savers I found a Gorham crystal champagne flute (alas, only 1, I got the rest of my set on eBay) for only a few dollars - they are something like $50-$60 at Replacements. I also got a Cuisinart ice cream maker that looked like it had never been used for $8 - again, I think they run about $45-50 (Amazon has list price on it right now $90 but half off). I used to buy my kids (and mine, occasionally DH's) clothes there all the time - loved their return policy which I think is unique among thrift shops. The RI one had weekly tag mark downs like GW, the CT one doesn't.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

"So there he was in GW, trying to drum up business for his GW purchases, saying nothing good is ever found there! You can cut the self-hatred/cognitive dissonance with a knife."

I dunno, sounds like he was trying to get you to scram so he had a better pick of his possible Ebay inventory :).

"But not only did we just get the LL Bean jackets, RL shirt (NWT!) and some other very nice clothes for DS at CT Savers"

This made me laugh...other than LL Bean I have no idea what any of the rest of the sentence means! Oh wait, DS is dear son right? Otherwise, no se puede hablar thrifting :).

Ann

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

yes, running--also true. Layers and layers!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

So there he was in GW, trying to drum up business for his GW purchases, saying nothing good is ever found there! You can cut the self-hatred/cognitive dissonance with a knife.

Awwww, man, I gotta switch from red to white wine when I'm reading these threads. It's easier to clean up.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

running - ?no habla eBay cualquiera? (JK - just kidding)

RL = Ralph Lauren (I had mentioned it earlier so abbreviated 2nd time). NWT = new with tags. CT = Connecticut RI = Rhode Island and yes DS = dear son.

Oh, and I forgot about my birthday score of a brand-new ("salvage" but I couldn't find anything wrong with it) rice cooker for $10. Same one at Target was $40.

I agree the dealer was just trying to run fly off.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Wait wait wait!!! Fly...you tellin me that it's not $200 any more? Last time I went was just before the 1st of the year when I got my dogs some stuff animals (for $1 each...they can tear 'em all up for that price) and I hadn't heard anything about them upping the minimum. I was going to stop in today, but realized I'm on a self imposed 'not buying unless I absolutely NEED it' kick, so I avoided going. Hmmm...might have to check into this.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

Gracias, ajsmama :). Now it all makes sense. At least till I forget what I just learned; occupational middle-age hazard these days!

Re. the ebay/thrift store relationship--do you think that the now ubiquitous online markets (EBay, Craigslist etc) have hurt, harmed or not affected bricks n mortar thrifting?

Years ago (I was working PT, had more time to do fun stuff like this) my MIL and I enjoyed going to local bazaars,yard sales and church rummage sales. There were fairly often some nice things dumped in there. Now I suspect many more people are doing what flyleft encountered, shopping in order to then resell. I think there is a whole new 'entrepreneur' niche, at least I've read about people who make their living or at least some income from selling online.

Dunno, just wondering what folks who are more in the know think about this?

Ann

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I do not like thrift stores but Dh has found many nice items of clothing. My favorite of his is a wool Pendleton red plaid shirt that looks brand new. Now, I wish he liked it.
    I feel like I lose my sense of perspective unless I put equal time in at Macy's. Otherwise, I find a shirt and think, this is really great! But it's only great compared to everything else in the store and not actually worth the $3.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Since it's been tentatively identified now by the amazing Lora on the Antiques board, I can't resist sharing my newest $2 GW acquisition :)

(I have to keep reminding myself that on this thread, GW means something different from GardenWeb!)

Here is a link that might be useful: more info on him coming on Monday when I write an anthro. museum

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I read this thread yesterday, then last night dreamed I was at a HUGE thrift store.... and there was a ghost there. Must have been Pesky's thread creeping in! ;D

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Guess where I went today?? :)

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Me too, coop :) DD is a serious *master* at this, too. I am so glad I've passed on some serious life skills...*sigh*

• mrsgym
    14 years ago

Yes I do for the most part, but I do have to be in the mood. I have to have time and energy for the hunt. My philosophy is thrift stores and garage sales are where people go for things to find them. I always have a list of things I'm looking for now, or will need in the future.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

LOL! Even though it's an old thread, I'm glad you brought this one to top cuz I missed it the first time ;-)

• golddust
    14 years ago

I am the old school thrift shopper and my DD is a better thrift store shopper than I am. She goes on tour of thrifts stores. I swear she knows where every thrift store is in the entire state.

That said, one year for Easter... I had no money. I went thrift store scouring and picked up a Steiff easter bunny for nothing! I made up a story about how the poor bunny was looking for a home and knew it would find a good one with her. She wasn't that thrilled then but that bunny is worth $$ today and she can't believe I found it at the thrift store.

In the 70s, there was tons of stuff. Half my groovy stuff in my house is from thrift stores and yard sales. Today, DD has more thrift store drive than I do.