SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

kitchen cabinet question - x posted

We're meeting with the carpenter next week to discuss what we want in the way of kitchen cabinets. Our ceilings are 10 ft high and we're aiming for a "new old house" look.

What do you all advise, functionally and aesthetically, with regard to whether kitchen cabinets should go all the way to the ceiling or stop short of that point leaving space for plants and gee-gaws above? If the latter, do you advise having all cabinets stop at the same height or having staggered heights?

I've seen kitchens that look great done all three ways but think that I'm leaning toward staggered cabinet tops as being more in keeping with the look I'm trying to achieve.

I'm wondering though just how much of an issue dust and grease collecting on top of such cabinets is. Truth to tell, I doubt I'd climb up on a ladder to clean up there very often. LOL. I don't think I'll need the extra storage space that to-the-ceiling cabinets would supply since my new storage pantry itself will be almost as large as the kitchen I've lived with for 23 years. On the other hand I'll probably have to collect something decorative to put up there.

So, which way did you go and why and are you happy with your decision or would you do it differently if you could start over?

Thanks all -

Comments (14)