SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marshallv_gw

First part of build...concerned

marshallv
12 years ago

Hi all,

Well, I started a build about 10 days ago and already have some concerns.....surprise surprise I guess.

We are building in the desert of West Texas so 99% of homes are built on slabs. Also, i'm discovering 90% of those are built on "two pour" slabs. I didn't know there was any other option, but apparently there is - the monolithic pour.

My builder poured our slab in one pour. This at first didn't concern me until i figured out the brick veneer doesn't go all the way to grade like it does when the brick sits on the footer as in a 2 part pour. So my first dissapointment was figuring out i'd see slab all the way around my house under the brick when ALL the other homes in area you don't.

Oh well. My main concern though is that i guess the concrete guys had some problems and when the forms were pulled there is a ton of honeycombing/exposed aggregate at corners, on side of slab, etc. All in areas that will be exposed when finished / graded / etc.

Is there a way to fix this so it will look RIGHT? Or, is this just the first thing of many that i'll have to decide to just swallow and move on or end the deal?

Any other advice/insight?

Thanks Marshall

Comments (3)