SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaxhome

NetMeter Accuracy?

My deal with my (Satellite) ISP is that I have 500MiB per month downloads/uploads combined, and another 500MiB in off-peak time (11pm-6am).

After I use my allotted total, I don't pay extra, but my download speed is reduced to a snail's pace (seems slower than dial-up). It generally gets me by pretty well.

After just 7 days this month, I received an email that I had exceeded my monthly limit. A check of my NetMeter log showed that for that period, I had only downloaded 151.61MiB and uploaded 20.95 MiB, total 172.56 MiB.

My ISP sent me graphs proving(?) their case, plus logs that I cannot understand, and say they don't believe my NetMeter is correct.

What can I do?

Will change ISPs to a better deal, but under contract until September 2010...

Any suggestions welcomed with open arms!

Regards,

Shax

Comments (9)

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

I'd say I'm online alot but seldom doing large downloads.
    And I'd also say that 'Maybe' you've changed your browsing habits after looking at my NetMeter weekly usage on Verison 7.1mb dsl ....

Here is a link that might be useful:

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, Mikie, but I don't understand what you're saying here.
    Only large downloads I do would be Windows Updates, and as I said, only 172.56MiB so far this month...

Are there other browsing habits I may have that don't show on NetMeter, but do show on my ISP account? Never open videos or such, mainly visiting forums!

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

I don't see how you can use so few bytes actually.

NetMeter seems to give fair 'ball park' totals but I don't think its reporting the errors and retransmits that the network adapter handles.

I'm thinking you maybe, for such low usage, don't get online much.. or have NetMeter set on something other than the nic.
    My usage is low per hour compared to most peoples probably but more total hours online, so its adds up to a bit more maybe.

Could it be you have wifi router/modem and a neighbor is unintentionally or otherwise using your connection?
    Or you have several logins to windows and only your account is using and being monitored by NetMeter ?

Just my thoughts, I don't know. Cable company's screw up too and maybe have your neighbors and your modem id# mixed up or duplicated.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

Shax not sure about your netmeter but one thing that can cause a usage jump is if the pc is infected by a bot and is being used as a zombie computer to send out or download stuff for the hacker that created the botnet. This is a free program to check for bots on your pc, not saying that is your problem just one thing that could cause a large usage.
    RUBotted

• grandms
    14 years ago

Shax, don't forget that all your browsing counts toward your download totals. If you watch a few uTube movies, you are using quite a bit of bandwidth.

My monthly limit is 5GB, which to some doesn't seem like much, but I seldom go over 3GB. However, I don't watch videos (these eat up bandwidth), and most of my browsing is various forums where text and not pictures are important. You do seem to have a very restrictive ISP.

Original Author
    14 years ago

No, never watch videos, seldom any images.
    Only online coupla hours a day...sometimes not at all. Am very miserly with my use, and have a good "feel" for my limits.

I have a satellite connection, so don't think neighbours are an issue.

R-C, thanks for that link, but when I saw size of the download, decided to get up 11pm tonight (off-peak) to do that one!

Mikie, how did you copy and post your NetMeter log? I've tried, but can't get it right...

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

how did you copy and post your NetMeter log?

Held down the ALT key and pressed the PrntScreen key.
    Then pasted it into a little graphics program 'PhotoFiltre' as a new image.
    Saved it as my standard trashme.jpg into the pictures folder overwriting my last trashme pic and uploaded it to tinypic.com

Original Author
    14 years ago

R-C, thanks...no botnet...

This is why I'm arguing with my ISP when they said on Dec.7th, that I had already exceeded my 500 MiB monthly allowance...and most of this log was used AFTER Dec.7!

Even if NetMeter is only ballpark, there's still a huge discrepancy...

• bee4mee
    14 years ago

Shax, I have just compared my readings for today (so far) using your Netmeter and my usual utility Download Upload Meter from Utilkit.

Netmeter: 278.82MB

DLUL meter: 285.03MB

Netmeter is 0.022% lower

I donÂt know how accurate the figures actually are but, being so close, I presume they must be fairly reliable.

These arenÂt my typical daily readings as my computer has been switched off for about four hours whereas it is normally on all day. Plus the family have been watching Youtube videos for about three hours this evening  something that doesnÂt normally happen.

Colin

Here is a link that might be useful: Download Upload Meter (Free)