SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

favorite 'healthy' smoothie

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

Hi everyone. I juice regularly (3 times a week). My normal juice is made from five carrots, one apple, and a cup or so of raw spinach. I don't like to eat fruits and veggies, but as a self proclaimed meats and sweets kind of guy I really need to add more wholesome foods to my diet. The juice I make is an awful orange brown color, but it tastes pretty good and I know it's healthy so I do it. The thing is when you juice, you don't really get the fiber and cleaning the juicer is an absolute nightmare. It would be so much easier to throw a handful of frozen stuff in the tumbler and blend away.

I'd like to get some smoothie recipes that don't have too much sugar but still taste good. If anyone has any, I'd love to see what they are! I made cherry limeade the other day and I wanted to crush some ice. I used my KA immersion blender and I was disappointed at first that it wouldn't crush the ice. Then I realized it was on speed 1! I cranked it up to 9 and it blazed through a whole tumbler of ice (very little liquid) in 3 seconds flat. Made a perfect slushy and I thought, "I need to use this thing more!"

So, what do you use? I know lots of fruits are high in sugar so I need to be careful what I use... and what is a good base liquid? Orange juice is easy, but I think it's too sweet to be considered healthy. I've done orange juice, bananas, blueberries, and strawberries in the past. I just think there's too much sugar in that concoction. Plus, bananas make me feel weird... when I eat (drink) them my right breast hurts and my mouth waters for hours after for some crazy reason, it's almost unbearable!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012