SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Defog Me, Says A Dishwasher Ignoramous.

John Liu
13 years ago

Would some of you who are knowledgeable about modern dishwashers be willing to educate me about these mysterious machines?

I have a Frigidaire, completely unfancy, about 10 years old. You open the door, it flops down, you load dishes and add whatever detergent is laying around, close the door and push the button for whatever cycle you want. After most of an hour, the dishes are clean, dry and warm. I'm not sure if my glasses sparkle with godliness, I'm never seized with the desire to pirouette around the room singing, but anyway, the stuff is clean.

My impression had been that all dishwashers worked basically the same way. Then I encountered my friend's Fisher-Paykel dish drawers and I realized that this wasn't my grampa's dishwasher. Okay, I know I like those. But I don't know much else, and the more I read the less I seem to know. I've come across all sorts of exotica here - water softeners, salt treatments, special tabs of magic detergent, macerators, enzyme detergent, triple racks, programmable cycles, whew! I'm thoroughly confused. I'm humiliated to be so confused. Yet someday, I will have to buy another dishwasher. I need to be prepared. Dishwasher shopping, and zombie survival - these are the two glaring gaps in my preparedness.

If you wanted to help me - and others like me, who are still hiding in the closet - perhaps I could list my main questions.

1. What's new in dishwasher-land, I mean in the last 15 years or so?

2. What are the main types of residential dishwashers out there today? Standard? Euro? Drawers? What else? What, generally, are the strengths and weaknesses of each type?

3. Are some dishwashers more or less particular about the detergent, rinse aid, etc they use? Which ones and why the difference? For the slob who wants to feed his dishwasher the cheapest random detergent, what's the best choice? How about for the perfectionist who wants the sparkliest glassware possible and is willing to buy exactly the right consumables to get it?

4. Are some dishwashers better or worse at handling hard water? Which and why?

5. How about for impatient people? What dishwashers have the faster cycles?

6. Sound-sensitive people? Which dishwashers are quieter?

7. Suppose I (or my kids) don't want to rinse and can hardly even be bothered to scrape? Are there dishwashers that laugh at plates draped with pasta and dripping with food?

8. Delicate china and crystal? Are there dishwashers that can safely wash those?

9. And for those in drought regions? Do dishwashers really use less water than handwashing? Are any particularly H2O-miserly?

10. Any compromised immune systems or little infants? Do some dishwashers do a better job of sanitizing than others? Do they use heat, or chemicals?

11. It may be hard to generalize, but are do any brands of dishwasher have reliably consistent traits? Like, brand X is quiet, brand Y is fast, brand Z is sturdy?

I'm sure I've missed a key issue, so please don't be limited by these questions. Anything that defogs the crystal ball will help!

Thank you.

Comments (12)