SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Do I need all these programs at startup?

lynnalexandra
15 years ago

After reading about this and contemplating it for months, I finally went to see which programs run at startup (doing msconfig, and then start tab). There are a ton, and I don't know what most of them are. I am mostly using firefox (and accessing AOL email through Firefox - only rarely opening AOL software- only rarely opening IE). Don't usually go to Itunes or Tivo (don't know if Tivo needs to be open since it's networking my 2 Tivo recorders together).

Here's the list:

cnslmain (canon printer software - not sure what this does)

ssbkgdupdate (canon again)

BjMyPrt

Opwarese4 (says sca - maybe scanner part of canon)

cnmnsut (canon)

RTHDCPL

RoxWatchTray9 (is this Roxio - I don't even know what Roxio does)

Drgtodsc (roxio)

pdvddxsrv (program files/cyb..)

NvCpl (RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WI

dumprep o -K

KHALMNPR

issch (program files/com..)

ISUSPM (Program~1)

AOL software

Google desktop

EULALauncher (Dell\e-center\eula)

dsca (program files/dell)

sprtcmd (program files\dell)

ALCMTR (ALCMTR.EXE)

mcagent (program files\mcafee)

jusched (program files\java)

realschd (program files\/com)

superantispyware

Picasamediadetector

msmsgs (program files\MES)

applesyncnotifier

ituneshelper

QTtask (program files\quicken)

Reader_sl (program files\Ado..)

ctfmon (windows \system)

googletoolbarnotifier

Tivo transfer

Tivonotify

Tivoserver

Digital line detect (program~1\digit) common startup

Logitech desktop M (program~1\logi..) common startup

Logitech setpoint (program~1\logi) common startup

Secunia (program~1\secunia) startup

Boy is that list a pain. I think more info is needed. I am not sure what google toolbar or google desktop are. I use firefox and there is a google search area on it - not sure if that's the google toolbar or not. I use a logitech wireless mouse and wired keyboard. I rarely use Picasa. I do have Tivo on 2 televisions - and sometimes transfer shows to my desktop - but not sure that transfer needs to open at startup. Not sure if any Tivo programs need to open at startup. I like to be able to copy and print pages easily - so perhaps that means some canon programs to open at startup? I rarely scan, fax or print photos.

I have Quicken and only use it when I'm doing my tax returns, so I'm sure that doesn't need to open at start up. I use itunes occasionally - but probably less than once/week. I don't use IM. I do use superantispyware and

spywareblaster. I have free McAfee with my AOL - and right now that is my antivirus - although it's not automatically renewing and updating as it should - so I need to contact AOL and figure out the problem. At some point, I'm going to ditch McAfee and get one of the free, recommended antivirus programs. But I'm not up for that right now.

I think that's all the info I can think of. I have a Dell inspiron 530, running Windows XP.

Thanks.

Lynn.

PS - I have dreaded venturing into this territory where it is all Greek to me. But I know the wisdom here is great.

Comments (7)