SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Tea kettle

kksmama
19 years ago

I like having a tea kettle on my stove all the time, so I want one that looks nice, and I like the idea of having the same one for a few decades ("oh, look - mom's old tea kettle is right there on the stove") so I don't mind spending up to $100 or so for it.

But thus far I've been so dissapointed! I had a Chantal one with a wonderful harmonic whistle but it didn't work well in our new house on the gas stove, the handle got hot before the water boiled. The worst part is that when I went to dry it out the towel was black - bleachhh! What was that gunk and how much of it did I drink over the years?

The next kettle was a really cool looking one from Target, stainless steel and I loved it until my dear son let it boil dry and little splatters turned to caked on black stuff. I was working on getting the spots off when I looked inside....and there was a hard brown film! What is *that*? I figured that since I only put purified water in the kettle I don't have to clean it out but now I'm wondering. I hope the film was just the result of him letting it burn dry - I think he used tap water and maybe it is hard water staining? I boiled it with vinegar and it didn't come clean, I scrubbed with SOS and have given up.

So I have two questions: Can anyone recommend a lovely kettle that I'll be happy to see sitting on my stove for the next thirty years? And do you all clean your kettle regularly? I think I want stainless so I *know* what the inside should look like, because now I'm sure I'll be checking at least some times!

Comments (17)