SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Pricing out wiring AFTER signing contract?

njbuilding143
9 years ago

This seemed a little odd to me and was curious what others have done. I am working out the final details with the builder and when it came to wiring (Cat6, coax, phone, speakers, alarm, etc) he said that he would rather work this out once the house is framed so we can do a walk through and I can show exactly what I want and where I want everything and then he can negotiate the best price for me. He further added that this would be handled as a change order outside of the contract. Now if my memory serves me correct then change orders normally carry a separate fee which I just emailed him back for clarification. Also, besides the normal concern that there will be a separate fee, I am also locked into a contract at that point. So if I tell him that I do not like the pricing that he provides then I will have no other action other then to pay the fee or not have the wiring done. I am pretty sure I know exactly where everything will go so I don't know why it would be an issue.. Just wondering how everyone else went about this with their builder. The builder seems like a good guy and I don't have any thoughts that he would purposely try and screw with us, however I would rather be prepared then have the chance of being taken advantage of. Thanks for any input.

Comment (1)