SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestgal_gw

wolf induction owners - help please! crying!

midwestgal
14 years ago

I need to know when you ordered you unit, when you received it and where you are located. Long story short: I'm in northern California. I ordered (paid in full) a Wolf 36" induction cooktop on March 31, 2009 with a requested delivery for July 2009. As of September 1st, they still couldn't fill my order and left me with no choice but to demand a refund and purchase a different unit in order to try and meet our inspection deadline. Now our cabinets have to be modified due to the air flow requirements of the Gaggenau and our life has been a living hell. I'm really curious to know how many other people have been waiting over six months for their 36" Wolf induction unit? For those interested, the full details are below.

We originally purchased our appliances (SubZero fridge & 36" Wolf gas cooktop) on November 29, 2007 (paid in full). After what seemed like an endless setback to our project (whole house taken down to studs, large portions of roof removed, opened giant can of worms, try to remain calm and hold back tears, hire numerous consultants to find way to correct giant can of worms, resume work, dry tears and move on) we resumed work in early 2009, and after staying in constant contact with our appliance dealer, we decided to upgrade our cooktop to an induction unit and upgrade our SubZero to the newer model. All along, we were of course told that Wolf/SubZero never discounts and never offers rebates. We were never told that the 36" induction unit was on backorder. So on March 31, 2009, we paid (in full) for our upgraded appliances (since they were more expensive, our salesman was happy to change our order) and also purchased a 36" Wolf wall hood and blower. All told, we spent $14,955.00 on Wolf & SubZero appliances, not including tax. (We also purchased an Asko dishwasher ($1249 pre-tax) from this same salesman. Our Miele double oven, washer & dryer were purchased elsewhere, as the SubZero/Wolf dealer we worked with didnt carry Miele products).

At that time, we were made it clear to our salesman that we needed our appliances in the first week of July and we were told "no problem." When July rolled around, we were told the induction units were backordered and that they wouldn't be able to get us one until August, September at the latest. When August arrived, I called my dealer only to be told that weÂd have our unit sometime in September. On September 1st, I called my dealer and was told the units still werenÂt available and that they might be able to fill our order in October. I reminded him about our October 9th inspection deadline and he said heÂd see what he could do. He called back offering me the use of his Thermadore display model (just to pass inspection), but I reminded him that the cutouts werenÂt the same and that would affect our countertop templates. He agreed, and told me heÂd try to call the distributor again but had no luck. He advised me to call the distributor directly, as well as Wolf/SubZero customer service.

When I called Riggs Distributing, they refused to speak to me, saying that I had to work through my dealer. I called Wolf customer service and relayed my situation (paid in full, waiting five months, purchased close to $15,000 worth of products, our inspection needed to be signed off by October 9th, etc. ). They gave me nothing but lip service. Wolf customer service said they had no control over the actions of their distributors, but that they would contact my distributor to see if they could expedite my induction unit. I never received a call back from Wolf/SubZero customer service and never received a call from the distributor. I had to call my salesman to find out if the distributor, Riggs, had contacted him, only to be told that Riggs told him "absolutely no units were available anywhere in the country."

What a load of crap! I called the Westye Group, distributor for much of the country, and was told by a very nice woman there, who wished to stay anonymous, that a customer in southern California had gone through something very similar, but that she managed to get her 36" unit in July (after waiting three months) was because she contacted the president of SubZero in Madison, Wisconsin. The Westye Group rep suggested I do the same. I tried and he never returned my calls. I again tried relaying my situation through Wolf/SubZero customer service and never received any email nor phone replies. They completely ignored me.

At the same time, I was searching for display models and found one at another retailer located in my area. I asked Wolf customer service if there was any way they could help me borrow that unit just to help us pass inspection. They refused, claiming they could only work with what my retailer had on display (nothing). Totally exasperated, I demanded a refund and found a Gaggenau unit at another retailer, available immediately. I purchased it and now am trying to figure out how to modify my cabinets for the Gaggenau ventilation requirements. And yes, we had to apply for yet another permit extension due to this fiasco!

Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to get the facts out in the open so others might learn from my experiences. I also apologize for the exasperated venting, but I am so angry at Wolf/SubZero and Riggs Distributing. IMHO, they have no business taking orders they knowingly canÂt fulfill. They gladly took our money, held onto it for six months and strung us along month to month without even so much as an apology. We ordered custom cabinets built to the Wolf specs and now have to try and modify them after they've already been installed and our countertop fabricator has already templated (counters to be installed on the 18th).

And just to rub some salt in the wound, one day after I made my purchase, Wolf/SubZero/Riggs Distributing began offering substantial rebates! I contacted my salesman and sure enough, I was told there was nothing he could do. Nice. Finally, I saw my salesman yesterday and he told me that he's yet to get any 36" induction units, so even if I hadn't switched to Gaggenau, according to him, I'd still be waiting for an induction unit that I originally paid for on March 31st - over seven months ago!

I'd really like to know what you think about this. Frankly, I'm wondering if this isn't ripe for a class action lawsuit? I'm not an attorney, but it just doesn't seem right to take money for a product you knowingly can't provide in a timely manner.

As of today, I need to modify my cabinets, Gaggenau has been completely unhelpful and my designer is on vacation. IÂm on my own, completely frustrated and on the verge of tears.

Comments (5)