SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casi_gw

Need help fixing DH laptop

casi
12 years ago

Hi, haven't been around awhile. DH's HP laptop is getting slow so he has been coming in and using mine. Could someone...Zep, Raven....get it up and running again..do the Hijack thing. This was my late Mom's that I gave to my hubbie. All he really does is play solitaire with it and search Craig's list. I've seen a couple things on here that I don't know anything about. Let me know what I need to do...thanks in advance

Comments (21)

• zep516
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Post a hijackthis and we can see more in detail.

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, but can you give me the link to that. When I did a search, CNET has Mini Trend Hijacker....is that the same thing?

• Related Discussions

I need help, DH demo'd the bathroom

Q

Comments (8)
    I hear ya. Except that for us, I was the one who sledged the old do, not DH. You know the saying. There's nothing to it but the doing it. As faucets go, we went for polished nickel (Riobel), a 12" rainshower, and a handheld installed so it can reach down to wash the dog. No fancy schmancy water jets in the shower even if our plumber was raving about them. We had to special order these things and I was concerned this would delay the rest of our project. Knowing what we know now, I would not have worried so much. But you do need the roughs of the faucets installed before you close up the walls. Which bring me to this little piece of wisdom. You mention that this is your one and only full bathroom. This was also the case for us. Do yourself a favour and get yourself one of those little modular inexpensive showers you can rough install somewhere in your basement or garage, for you to have while you are renovating. It'll make life so much easier in the long run. Cheers!
    ...See More

Help needed, shopping for a laptop.....

Q

Comments (17)
    Quote:Here is a question I'll throw out: Suppose you buy a preconfig Vista from the BBox store, but you are enamored with your XP OS and are in no hurry to switch to vista. Could you pick up an $80 copy of XP Pro, assuming it's still on sale out there, somewhere, delete the preconfigured Vista and install the XP? Just a thought. Oh and BTW, I now have Vista on my new Toshiba laptop (I don't love it or hate it, just trying to take it all in), and there is a option in the control panel that enables you to set it to the classic XP look, where the desktop and start menu will stay just as it is in XP. Quote The big problem people are finding now with laptops especially because of different drivers/manufacturers utilities, is not all drivers are avail when switching from XP to Vista. One would have to make sure the reverse also has been addressed with the newest laptops ie drivers for XP avail for those laptops that came with Vista. Alot of people are jumping with the change and not checking first. Shortly after, they are back on these forums complaining about this function not working, or that function.
    ...See More

Need to augment Wireless Signal to DH's computer in his den

Q

Comments (48)
    I was able to flush the dns on both the xp and vista laptops. But I still can't connect either laptop wirelessly to the "fmaily room" network (which is still unsecured). I cannot access the Nat,spi or firewall soI don't know if that's the problem. Both laptops show a strong signal (full bars) to the family room network - but don't connect. They do connect via wired connection (does this mean I have so far created a network switch). On both laptops I selected "family room" as the preferred network to connect to. But both connected to my Lynn network (from the opposite corner of the house - with only a weak signal). On the Vista laptop it says Windows cannot connect to "family room" - and when asked to connect to family room, it said "Windows association failed due to an unknown reason." When I selected "diagnose and repair, it said Windows did not find any problems with your Internet connection." Then I tried one further thing. I saw on the Vista laptop that it still listed the family room network as having WPA2 security - so i changed what the laptop had for listed for family room network to reflect no current security settings. Then I tried to connect again. It wouldn't connect. Then I clicked repair/diagnose - and it said "this network is marked as a "hidden" network and is either not in the range of this computer or the wireless settings saved on this computer do not match the settings of the network." It is in range of the network - 3 feet away and receiving a full strong signal. So perhaps the network settings do not match the router or access point (although I'm not sure where to look to check this since I think I set it all up to match). The other thing is says is "if you own or set up this network, reset your wireless router or access point and try connecting again." Should I try this? Does it mean unplugging SMC access point, linksys router and modem - waiting and replugging them in? If so, in what order? Or does this mean resetting the SMC completely and starting from scratch? So now what? Jane - I realize that Mikie's the guy - and I very much appreciate his help. Those links helped me get clearer on definitions, but don't really get specific enough to address these set up complications. Thank you. Lynn.
    ...See More

Help setting up DH's new laptop

Q

Comments (11)
    Snidely - good point about not removing things if they're not causing trouble - lest they turn out to have been needed. So I have left some things that I have no idea about. I did delete Dell Stage - bc. it's a real pain - gets in the way all the time (my daughter who's had this on her laptop for 2 years confirmed that it's just in the way). I did all the microsoft updates, ran a few antivirus, got rid of what I want to get rid of, and it's mostly good to go. Here's the trouble that remains: I can't get the printer working. It's a Canon Pixma MX850 - on the home network. I did not want to install the Canon disk bc. it has a ton of it's own bloatware. So I went to Canon and downloaded the driver - as well as the IJ utility software (I think that helps the computer find a printer on the network). Went to devices and printers, added the printer and made it the default printer. It shows up in printers and devices, but when I go to print something, it fails. Troubleshooting says the test page didn't print bc. something else is in the queue. But there is nothing else in the queue. I opened the queue from my pain desktop (that's connected to the printer) - and there's no documents in the queue. Went to the printer queue on DH's lapto; - it also shows nothing in the queue. I can print from other computers. Don't know what else to do. And I just remembered that I did not see Java. It didnt come up as needing updating when I ran the Secunia scan. I am not sure which programs need it, but can imagine my husband being stumped if he tries to do something that needs Java and asks him to install. I'd like to install it for him. Got to remember that. I also have a question about Microsoft Security Essentials. Twice now it found something bad - and I selected to remove the couple of files. Does this AV just run in the background or do I also need to run scans? Thank you. Lynn.
    ...See More
  • casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I found out that the Trend Micro download is what I needed and I did it. But I got the following message:
    For some reason your system denied write access to Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in the file Hijack This may not be able to fix this. If this happens, edit files yourself. Click Start, run, and type notepadC:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Enter. Find line(s) Hyjack this reports and deltet them
    Save files as "hosts" with quotes and reboot.
    I'm not sure what I should do but if you could help me tomorrow nite I'd appreciate it. My battery is going down and this machine is getting so slow. I really appreciate your help. Please adavise what I should do. Thanks

• zep516
    12 years ago

Yes tomorrow nite will be good for me too

One other detail when you start Hjackthis using Vista you need to right ckick on the hijackthis Icon on the desktop and then choose Run as Administrator that will stop the host file error message you're getting.

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe
    Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop. Right click the Hijackthis Icon and Run as Adminstrator if you use Vista or Windows 7
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Click on Install.
    It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log into your next post.

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zep, had a chance to get on here earlier, don't know when you will be around...
    I uninstalled Hijack This and reinstalled it using your link above. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. I tried the right click on the icon but there is not a "run as administrator". I opened the program and it asked if I wanted to do a scan and save to log which I did but I got the same message.
    I will look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

• owbist
    12 years ago

Casi if you right click on Hijackthis then click Properties in the pop up a new window appears.

Click the Compatibility tab then near the bottom of that page is a place to click to run the program as an administrator. Click Apply - OK, then run the program.

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Owbist. I have run the Windows Defender and Malwarebytes and both say there is nothing wrong but this

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 10:33:52 AM, on 11/17/2011
    Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7601.17514)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqToaster.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_US&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_US&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_US&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_US&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe,
    O2 - BHO: HP Print Enhancer - (0347C33E-8762-4905-BF09-768834316C61) - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_printenhancer.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - (18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: avast! WebRep - (8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06) - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - (9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - (AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O2 - BHO: HelloWorldBHO - (ABD3B5E1-B268-407B-A150-2641DAB8D898) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Homepage Protection\HomepageProtection.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - (AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.7.7018.1622\swg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar Helper - (d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f) - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0560.0\msneshellx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - (FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856) - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar - (1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414) - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0560.0\msneshellx.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: avast! WebRep - (8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06) - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - (2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePRCShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerRecover"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1004 - (219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1003 - (219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Show or hide HP Smart Web Printing - (DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522) - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O18 - Protocol: wlpg - (E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_amd64_neutral_ccf0dd3cb081af84\AESTSr64.exe
    O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - LSI Corporation - C:\Program Files\LSI SoftModem\agr64svc.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Games\HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Support Assistant Service - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\hpsa_service.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Quick Synchronization Service (HPDrvMntSvc.exe) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HPDrvMntSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Software Framework Service (hpqwmiex) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqWmiEx.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_amd64_neutral_ccf0dd3cb081af84\STacSV64.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
    End of file - 11405 bytes
    thing is getting slower and slower. I had a hard time even getting IE to open for some reason.

• zep516
    12 years ago

One more thing to do,

Please download MiniToolBox http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    Click Go and post the result.

Here is a link that might be useful: MiniToolBox.exe

• zep516
    12 years ago

Hi casi,

Take your time we can work over next few nites, we should probably do basic stuff like Ccleaner, TFC, a disk clean up using windows, a defrag too. I have a list of Hijackthis entries to remove nothing big though. We can do that last.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

If all your husband does is play solitaire and check out Craig's list, why not just reformat the hard drive and put the operating system back on. This would not only deal with any potential virus, but anything else that is slowing the machine down.

• genes
    12 years ago

Just wondering how full the HDD is

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zep, here is the first thing that you asked for. Sorry I have company....grandkids and I never know when I will be able to get on here.

MiniToolBox by Farbar
    Ran by BB (administrator) on 18-11-2011 at 11:32:47
    Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (X64)

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
    ==================
    Error: (11/16/2011 09:54:17 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
    Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:48 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
    Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:43 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:39 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:10 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:02 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 11:33:22 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 11:33:22 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 11:31:44 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 11:31:44 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

System errors:
    =============
    Error: (11/18/2011 09:40:29 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
    Description: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Error Reporting Service service to connect.

Error: (11/18/2011 09:39:54 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
    Description: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Error Reporting Service service to connect.

Error: (11/17/2011 10:36:14 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (11/17/2011 09:07:01 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
    Description: The Windows Defender service failed to start due to the following error:
    %%1053

Error: (11/17/2011 09:07:01 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
    Description: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Defender service to connect.

Error: (11/17/2011 06:33:51 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (11/17/2011 06:26:18 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
    Description: A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the eventlog service.

Error: (11/17/2011 06:26:08 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (11/17/2011 06:25:09 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 09:35:27 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient) (User: SYSTEM)
    Description: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems.

Microsoft Office Sessions:
    =========================
    Error: (11/16/2011 09:54:17 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )
    Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:48 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )
    Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:43 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:39 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:10 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 09:53:02 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 11:33:22 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 11:33:22 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 11:31:44 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (11/16/2011 11:31:44 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Acrobat.com (Version: 1.6.65)
    Adobe AIR (Version: 1.5.0.7220)
    Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX (Version: 10.3.183.10)
    Adobe Reader X (10.1.0) (Version: 10.1.0)
    AMD USB Filter Driver (Version: 1.0.10.84)
    Atheros Driver Installation Program (Version: 5.2)
    ATI Catalyst Install Manager (Version: 3.0.732.0)
    Atlantis Quest 1.0
    avast! Free Antivirus (Version: 6.0.1289.0)
    Big Fish Games Client (Version: 1.4.0.11)
    Catalyst Control Center - Branding (Version: 1.00.0000)
    Catalyst Control Center Core Implementation (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    Catalyst Control Center Graphics Full Existing (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    Catalyst Control Center Graphics Full New (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    Catalyst Control Center Graphics Light (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    Catalyst Control Center Graphics Previews Common (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    Catalyst Control Center Graphics Previews Vista (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    Catalyst Control Center InstallProxy (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    Catalyst Control Center Localization All (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    ccc-core-static (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    ccc-utility64 (Version: 2009.0702.1239.20840)
    CCC Help Chinese Standard (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Chinese Traditional (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Czech (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Danish (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Dutch (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help English (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Finnish (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help French (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help German (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Greek (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Hungarian (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Italian (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Japanese (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Korean (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Norwegian (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Polish (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Portuguese (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Russian (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Spanish (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Swedish (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Thai (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    CCC Help Turkish (Version: 2009.0702.1238.20840)
    Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system (Version: 12.0.6612.1000)
    CyberLink DVD Suite (Version: 6.0.3101)
    D3DX10 (Version: 15.4.2368.0902)
    Enchanted Cavern
    Galapago FREE
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (Version: 1.0.0)
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (Version: 7.2.2308.2056)
    Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.21.79)
    Hewlett-Packard ACLM.NET v1.1.1.0 (Version: 1.00.0000)
    HiJackThis (Version: 1.0.0)
    Homepage Protection (Version: )
    HP Advisor (Version: 3.2.8946.3086)
    HP Customer Experience Enhancements (Version: 5.7.0.3036)
    HP DVD Play 3.7 (Version: 3.7.0.6623)
    HP Games (Version: 1.0.0.71)
    HP Quick Launch Buttons (Version: 6.50.3.1)
    HP Setup (Version: 1.2.3220.3079)
    HP Smart Web Printing (Version: 131.1.35898)
    HP Support Assistant (Version: 6.0.5.4)
    HP Update (Version: 5.001.000.014)
    HP User Guides 0148 (Version: 1.01.0005)
    HP Wireless Assistant (Version: 3.50.9.1)
    IDT Audio (Version: 1.0.6225.0)
    Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.0.6.1)
    Java(TM) 6 Update 14 (64-bit) (Version: 6.0.140)
    Java(TM) 6 Update 29 (Version: 6.0.290)
    Junk Mail filter update (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    LabelPrint (Version: 2.5.1913)
    LightScribe System Software (Version: 1.18.6.1)
    LSI HDA Modem (Version: 2.1.94)
    Mahjongg Artifacts: Chapter 2
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version 1.51.2.1300 (Version: 1.51.2.1300)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Version: 4.0.30319)
    Microsoft Application Error Reporting (Version: 12.0.6015.5000)
    Microsoft Live Search Toolbar (Version: 3.0.560.0)
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 60 day trial
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) (Version: 12.0.6425.1000)
    Microsoft Silverlight (Version: 4.0.60831.0)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU] (Version: 3.1.0000)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x64 8.0.50727.4053 (Version: 8.0.50727.4053)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053 (Version: 8.0.50727.4053)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.61001)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) (Version: 8.0.56336)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) (Version: 8.0.61000)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17 (Version: 9.0.30729)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 (Version: 9.0.30729.4148)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
    Microsoft Works (Version: 9.7.0621)
    MSVCRT (Version: 15.4.2862.0708)
    MSVCRT_amd64 (Version: 15.4.2862.0708)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) (Version: 4.20.9870.0)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) (Version: 4.20.9876.0)
    muvee Reveal (Version: 7.0.40.10061)
    Power2Go (Version: 6.0.3101)
    PowerDirector (Version: 7.0.3101)
    PowerRecover (Version: 5.5.1923)
    Puzzle Odyssey
    QLBCASL (Version: 6.40.17.2)
    Realtek 8136 8168 8169 Ethernet Driver (Version: 1.00.0007)
    Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader (Version: 6.1.7100.30094)
    Slingbox - Watch Your TV Anywhere (Version: 1.0.0)
    SlingPlayer (Version: 1.04.0206)
    Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (Version: 13.2.4.12)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871) (Version: 1)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523) (Version: 1)
    Windows Live Communications Platform (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Essentials (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant (Version: 7.250.4225.0)
    Windows Live Installer (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Language Selector (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Mail (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Messenger (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live MIME IFilter (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Movie Maker (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Photo Common (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Photo Gallery (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live PIMT Platform (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live SOXE (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live SOXE Definitions (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Sync (Version: 14.0.8064.206)
    Windows Live UX Platform (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live UX Platform Language Pack (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Writer (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Windows Live Writer Resources (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
    Yahoo! Detect

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 42%
    Total physical RAM: 2812.2 MB
    Available physical RAM: 1610.9 MB
    Total Pagefile: 5622.59 MB
    Available Pagefile: 3896.3 MB
    Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
    Available Virtual: 3982.32 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:219.48 GB) (Free:180.2 GB) NTFS
    2 Drive d: (RECOVERY) (Fixed) (Total:13.11 GB) (Free:2.19 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\BB-PC

Administrator BB Guest

**** End of log ****

• zep516
    12 years ago

Hi casi,

That's ok I'm in and out too this week. We can just do a few things at a time like we are doing....

Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Download TFC by OldTimer From here click Here
    to your desktop.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programswhen run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
    * Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
    * Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Let me know when that's done...

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Zep. Okay, I did the cleaner. It said it cleaned out 244mb of files. Did the re-boot had to help it manually. I also did a defrag yesterday and I did the disk clean up earlier this week. So far it is still pretty slow. What next!

• zep516
    12 years ago

Hi

We will use hijackthis to stop some startups from running,

Can you view this information on another computer or print it out as you will not be able to see it.

Close all browsers windows including this one, right click on the Hijackthis Icon and choose "Run as administrator"

Do a "System scan only" wait for the scan to open.

Now place a check mark in the following bold entries.

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - (AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - (AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.7.7018.1622\swg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar Helper - (d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f) - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0560.0\msneshellx.dll

O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - (FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856) - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar - (1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414) - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0560.0\msneshellx.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePRCShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerRecover"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

Once the check marks are in place:

Click FixChecked
    Close Hijackthis.
    Reboot your computer.

Post a fresh Hijackthis log, that is do a system scan and save a log file

Let me know if anything is better, not really seeing much here all basic items but lets see how it goes..

Good luck and let me know.

• zep516
    12 years ago

Could you after hijackthis stuff, is to Click > Start > In the start menu find "Computer" right click on it and choose "Properties" look in the list for "Installed" Memory.

Please post that! I know I have it above, but I want to double check the amount being reported by windows.

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I did what you said to do.

Installed Memory is 3.00GB with 2.75GB useable

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

fwiw
    Recently cleaned up a computer with very slow opening and running programs.... saw a log in c/ root, its indications were a CHKDSK (checkdisk) run might be good idea.

That was the fix on it. 1609 security descriptors cleaned/fixed.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to run checkdisk

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mikie, kind of waiting to see what Zep has to say....

• zep516
    12 years ago

I'd follow mikie's direction for sure!

Has there been any improvement?

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zep,
    Sorry for not getting back to you. I did the check disk thing. I think it is running better but I haven't been on that computer since I did it. My husband has been using it and not complaining. Thanks for all your help. I need to get my Sony laptop worked on too but too much going on right now. It has Vista which I hate.