SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iris_bulb

New "Covered Patio" Used as a Carport?

iris_bulb
9 years ago

I have a 100+ yr old home that I am improving for resale, the home is located within the historic district of my city in the NW. I also live in the home.

I wish to have a carport constructed in the backyard since there's no parking whatsoever currently, and I have the perfect location that the carport can go while still maintaining a lot of yard space, right up against the fence along the alley in the corner of the yard.

The construction company has been talking to the appropriate city departments for permits/permissions and was informed that according to modern ordinances, a carport/garage in the historic district cannot be located near the alley, it has to be located at least 20 ft from the alley. This, despite the fact that all my neighbors have garages along the alley, which were grandfathered in before these silly ordinances were created.

I dislike the idea of putting the carport far from the alley because then I would have to have a long driveway leading into the yard and the carport would be in the far corner - the whole thing would take out a lot of the grassy area of the yard, and the yard is a selling point. So my contractor said "Well, one option is that we could build this exact structure where you want it, but just call it a "covered patio" instead of a carport. I said "Great, let's go forward."

But when contractor went to the city again to get permissions for this "covered patio" they reminded him that this structure cannot be used for parking.

So, obviously this makes me very nervous and i would like your thoughts. The contractor said he had never heard of the city enforcing or penalizing for anything like this. Which makes me think it would be okay to go forward with the "covered patio" that's really to be used for a carport in the spot that I want it built.

But on the other hand, I'm building this carport for resale...So if the new owners believe they are getting a carport and use it as such, but then someone from the city or whatever starts to hassle them about it - saying that it's officially a covered patio in the records & can't be used for parking - then that will be hugely upsetting to them.

What are your thoughts? Do cities enforce these types of things? Should I go ahead and build the structure in the location I want and use it for parking despite its official designation as "covered patio?" The alternative is to take out much of the grassy backyard & a mature tree to accommodate an official carport in the location they want it...and the grassy backyard is a huge selling point.

Really confused on how to proceed. :-(
Thanks very much.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths