SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cj47_gw

How is your double oven wired?

9 years ago

I have an Electrolux double oven stack, which I absolutely love.

The convection fan on the upper oven has stopped working, and after some tinkering, we've decided that the motor has to be replaced. The service guy came out and began removing the unit from the cabinet, and found that the cord is too short to allow him to take it out. Additionally, it's hard wired to a junction box right under the unit in the basement.

The service man says that he isn't allowed to disconnect the wire from the junction box and that we need to call an electrician and make sure that there is enough cord behind the unit to be able to take it out.

The Electrician says that he never heard of a service guy who would refuse to disconnect a hard wired oven from the junction box, but that he will come out and disconnect/reconnect the unit as needed.

Something doesn't smell right here. I have a problem with the idea of having to call an electrician to unhook the wiring in the event we need the oven fixed.

It seems that installing a cord that's long enough to allow the ovens to be removed from the wall is reasonable. Should I insist on this, or is that just not 'how it's done', and should the service man be able to do the disconnect? The guy who installed the ovens is the one who is coming back to do this, and the cost will be covered by our remodeler, even though it's been 4 years since the job was finished. (which is pretty nice). However, this wouldn't be my first choice for handling the situation.

Thanks for any advice.

Cj

Comments (6)