SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericpd

LG 25950TT out, ... GE 6PKWSS in - hopefully no regrets

ericpd
16 years ago

OK,... after two botched delivery attempts, three weeks in a drama dance with HD, and NOT ONE ice cube, our new LG 25950TT FD fridge is out da door,... for good. We stepped up (or at least I hope it's a step up) to the GE PFSS6PKWSS. I will say though that our local HD store really took care of us on this one. They worked a final price that took into consideration all we've gone through and was quite easy to swallow. After the dust settled (taxes and delivery), we're only having to add another $218.47 to the cost of the 25950TT, and that will go down some after rebates. Given the spred between the retail stickers they had pasted to the doors of these refrigerators on the floor, I thought that was extremely fair.

This GE is also a very attractive box and looks good in our kitchen,... different from the LG in some ways, but the same in other ways. Just gotta get used to the clunky icemaking scheme GE uses. It's just not as compact and out of the way as the scheme used on the LG's. There are more shelving options on the GE,... like the flip up half shelf which is good for standing those large 3 litre soda bottles, and the sliding shelf the folds into itself. Those are nice touches. The full width deli draw is also a plus,... I know exactly how I'm gonna use that come Thursday. LOL! My son refers to the blue LED interior lighting as "way sick", so I guess he likes it too. And I see GE and LG go about sealing the front doors dfferently. On our new GE, there's a thin bar attached to the left door that swivels when you open and close the doors. I'm guessing it helps with keeping cold air in and warm air out when the doors are closed. But LG doesn't use this bar at all. Now I'm wondering which approach is superior and more durable. I've been told that the water filtration system in the GE is taken directly from GE's dedicated filtration sytems and are quite good,... more so than the system on the LG's. In addition to large partical filtration and the standard activated charcol stuff, they take on some additional biological chores and call for annual replacement compared to LG's 6 mnoth replacement schedule. Didn't know this until I read the GE pamphlet the HD sales person let us look at. That's a plus I guess. Just gotta get used to the icemaker being in the fresh food section and not on the door.

Speaking of ice, the first ice cube dropped a little over 5 hrs after installation. We threw that batch away and will throw away a couple more throughout the day. Same with the water.

Sure wouldn't mind hearing a "watch out for" or two and some "dos-n-don'ts" from other PFSS6PKWSS owners. Hearing first hand experiences is the best.

Patti, jeri,... I'll give another update after a few more days with this thing. Especially if a problem raises it's head! X-fingers!

Comments (14)