SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandlaker_gw

Automatic Insect Control Misting Systems

grandlaker
16 years ago

Have not found anything in the forum so I decided to post some ideas. Our build is complete so installation as part of new construction is not an option for us. I have learned, however, that the misting system tubing can be "pre-wired" with plastic boxes in the eaves before the roof and fascia are installed. Cover plates similar to cable TV are attached and the tubing lays in the rafters. Tubing is relatively cheap and you can install boxes yourself if you are runing low on money.

If you are past this point in construction, there may be an alternative for you. As I began to investigate the various systems, I noticed that most "retrofit" tubing is attached to the soffit (underside) thus leaving the tubing exposed. That look reminded me of the way in which cable TV is often installed in older homes; functional but not the cleanest look. In the process of thinking about the system, I noticed that our framers (for unknown reasons) ut a 1x2 strip on top of the 1x6 fascia all around the house. The guttering screws go through the 1x2 and the 1x6 with 3 inch screws, thus leaving a 3/4 inch gap between the backside of the gutter and the fascia. This space is is a perfect place to locate the tubing. The tubing clamps screw into the bottom "edge" of the 1x2 and the slimline style nozzles "wrap" the buttom of the gutter for a clean look. It is necessary to allow the T nozzle to swag down a little so the the nozzle clears the bottom of the gutter.

Even if you do not want to install an insect misting system as part of the new construction, put this item on your "planning" list because you may want to add it at a later date.

Most automatic misting systems use a 55 gallon barrel that you fill with a hose, but a new, smaller system now connects directly to the outdoor faucet and adds the insecticide to the water as it opertes. I don't know much about it but you may want to also plan your outdoor faucets if you are interested in that style.

Input from anyone with experience on these systems would be appreciated.

Comments (20)