SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpaquette_gw

My Liebherr is bedeviling me. Anyone else? (LONG)

kpaquette
12 years ago

Hi all. I haven't posted on GardenWeb in a very long time, since my kitchen remodel actually. But I thought I'd share what's been going on with my 36" Liebherr and see if anyone else has had problems. My servicer has just informed me they are DONE with it and to find someone else!!!

Several months ago, the fresh food compartment started to get ice buildup on the back wall. The LED display said the temp was steady (38 degrees.) I raised the temp over time but no change. Then we had the big hurricane come through the NE, I lost power for a couple of days, and while I was away the frozen fridge thawed and ruined my hardwood floors. (I was on vacation when the hurricane hit.)

It promptly re-froze when power was restored. I called Liebherr and scheduled a visit with a local servicer. This diagnosis visit determined that a $600 part was needed - which Liebherr nicely offered for free, even though I was just out of warranty. Very nice, indeed.

Servicer returned with part, installed part, and left. I noticed that some of the the interior lights would not come on and that the ice maker was now not working. Called them back and they returned for a second diagnosis, which determined that the part sent was faulty. (It was a circuit board, and the thought was it wasn't sending enough juice to the unit to power it fully.) So a 4th visit with new part was a couple of weeks ago.

After the part was installed, everything seemed fine. Then a couple of mornings later I woke up and opened the fridge to get my half and half. The LED display read the temp inside was 32 degrees (even though no one had touched the temp control) and everything in the bottom half of the fridge was now frozen. (Including my half and half. haha)

So basically, I think that whatever the original problem was wasn't fixed with this part they've installed.

So, I called the servicer again and scheduled an appointment, which was to be today. This morning they called and told me to call someone else. That they've done all they can on my unit and I should get a second opinion.

Now, this isn't a Kenmore. I don't think any service provider is going to be an expert on Liebherr - what my now former provider would do when they arrived is immediately call the Liebherr tech line and troubleshoot with one of their technicians.

Anyway, I've called Liebherr this morning an asked them to give a return authorization to a different provider, which they've done. Maybe this one will be more experienced with Liebherr - but I'm not holding my breath.

I love the look of my fridge but am ready to chuck it into the road, frankly. 4 times I've scheduled my day around service calls. The 5th was today and I've just been canceled on. Liebherr has been very nice every time I've called, and has been very kind to pay for all parts and labor. I've only paid for the first service visit to diagnose the problem. Which I guess is a good thing because if I'd paid for this part and still have the same problem I'd be pretty upset. I can't complain at all about Liebherr's service. I guess I could complain that the tech line didn't diagnose my problem correctly. Or that my servicer isn't familiar with Liebherr products?

I understand that things break. It's just frustrating. Has anyone else run into issues with the main compartment freezing? If so, what was your solution?

Comments (41)