SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaydles_gw

How would you finish my dining room and fireplace?

kaydles
16 years ago

This is a dilemma that dh and I have been struggling with for the past few weeks. Our builder was originally going to wrap both the dining room arches (see below) and the adjacent 2-story great room fireplace in stone. But now dh and I are pretty confident we don't want the stone on the dining room arches.

The jury is still out about the fireplace being stone (all the way up).

Our builder has a similar floor plan in another house and the stone is just way too much in his house but that's what he wanted - a castle type feel.

Our house is European French Chateau style and while the exterior will have a significant amount of stone, not sure if we want to bring all that stone inside too.

Also, I've attached a pic of the back exterior. The windows are the great room which have the 2 story fireplace. Those pilasters on the balcony / deck will also be wrapped in stone so standing from inside the great room, you'll have a view of the stone pilasters as well.

So will the fireplace be a nice tie-in to bring that stone inside or will it be too much? I also love how the framers added that nice curve on the fireplace so I'm worried that the stone will take away from that.

So for the dining room, we've considered adding molding to each arch but we're also leaning towards regular sheetrock with a nice paint treatment (like the pic below).

The floors will be hardwood throughout the dining room and great room (still finalizing final color / species) - most likely a handcraped maple with a nutmeg (a little redder) color. The trim will be paint grade but buttermilk in color with a little antiquing.

Any and all thoughts / opinions welcomed!

My dining room:

My fireplace (adjacent to dining room):

View of back exterior (great room windows) - you can see the fireplace. Balcony / deck pilasters will be wrapped in stone:

We are leaning towards just sheetrock with neat paint treatment on the dining room arches like pic below. Or perhaps molding around the arches:

Comments (17)