SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notjannaz10

another System Restore question

notjannaz10
15 years ago

My PC had been acting peculiar recently, so I did a System Restore, which seems to have restored it to perfect health.

Husband's PC (Win XP)has also been acting odd--I can't give specifics because I use it only infrequently and he's not good at defining the trouble he's having. Anyhow, since a Sys Rest seemed to work for mine, we decided to try it on his. I wanted to go back to October, when our troubles started. The October calendar had two dates available. Both give me this message when I click on them:

"Changes made to drive(s) D: after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from System Restore monitoring or was turned off or removed."

On the descriptive title next to each date it says "Software Distribution Service 3.0"

I assume the title means we got that Service Pack 3, want it or not and we're stuck with it.

But we didn't turn off or remove anything. Following the directions on MsJean's post I checked to see if husband had somehow turned it off, Turn Off is unchecked.

I guess my question is about that Software Distribution note. Does that mean we have SP3 now? And if so, does that mean I shouldn't try for an earlier restore point, because I seem to remember reading on this forum that restoring to dates prior to adding SP3 either doesn't work or causes even worse problems?

Thanks,

J

Comments (5)