SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catman_gw

Blue Star Cooktops

catman_gw
13 years ago

My wife and I are both novice cooks. We're renovating an 800 sq ft rowhouse so kitchen space is tight. I've been looking at Blue Star cooktops. My wife has some arthritis and she wants an eye level oven.

Are the rangetop and drop in cooktop similar in function? The only difference I can see is on the cooktop the knobs are on top and they take up counter space. I can't see how you get underneath either one of them to get spills out.

The 30" cooktop has all 4 grates touching. The 30" rangetop has some side to side separation between the 2 sets. That separation must be useful if you want to put 2 big pots on it. Is it worth getting the 30" rangetop to get it?

I assume that the medium size burner is so you can heat a small pot without burning the handle. Is it an asset? I can't imagine having more than 2 pots over high heat at once anyway.

The rangetop is available with a high splash and a shelf at 21". It must be useful to put hot pots on. In the kitchen pics on this board I don't see any of these. Is it because it's ugly? (BTW, can you put hot pots on a stone or cast synthetic counter surface?) Would the shelf degrade the perfpormance of a hood? I need a serious hood because the house fills up with smoke fast.

Thanks for any comments at all. This board has more kitchen experience than any salesman I'll find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Star

Comments (6)