SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deanb_gw

CIA Masters Collection cookware

16 years ago

Ok, I admit it, I'm a cookware and cutlery junkie. I have way too much cookware and way too many knives. I recently got the 10 piece CIA Masters Collection cookware set. No doubt about it, this is very good cookware. I got the set for $500 and at that price it's a steal. I bought it on an impulse and now I'm having some second thoughts.

I couldn't find anywhere on the packaging or cookware exactly where this stuff is made so I called CIA (Culinary Institute of AMERICA) and was redirected to Robinson Home Products. They are the folks who actually distribute the cookware and they told me it was made in China.

The marketing is clever. They call the cookware pieces by their French equivalent names, e.g. saute pan = sautoir, chef's pan = saucier. The suggested retail price for the 10 piece set is over $900 but you can easily find it on the net for $500. It is advertised as 7 ply with a pure copper core but the copper is only .6 mm thick.

All that said, I really do like the way this cookware performs. It's quite hefty and the fit and finish really is good. The design is very good. Heat distribution is excellent and it's easy to clean. So "What's the problem?" you ask? I wish that the marketing was a little more honest. If I had known that the stuff was made in China I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Comments (7)