SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuttervonwifflepuff

Hard anodized + high heat searing?

My husband wants to sear our steaks on high heat on a pan on the stove before popping them in the oven..... he used my cheap Teflon coated skillet to do this, and the high heat ruined the Teflon, as well as made the steaks *taste* like Teflon. Not to mention the smoke (fumes?) this produced. The pan went into the garbage. No more Teflon!

So, now I need a new pan to sear steaks in on high heat. I was thinking about cast iron, and that's certainly an option, but what's really caught my eye is hard anodized pans. Are they okay for high heat searing? How hot is the "high" heat setting on my smooth-top stove, anyway? I've been looking at the Circulon Infinite, which is oven safe to 500*, not that I'm intending to use it in the oven, but I'd think that it would mean it'd survive high heat searing. What do you think?

I've also been drooling over the Kirkland (Costco) Hard Anodized set and the Circulon Commercial 2 set (also available at my local Costco), but I don't know if those would be okay for high heat. They don't say on the outside of the box, at least not that I've noticed.

Any opinions are appreciated. I'm banging my head on a wall... just as I think, "Fine, I'm just gonna buy this and be done with it", I doubt my choice and go over the whole searching out my options all over again.

Comments (11)