SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
espicer_gw

Want to add 2 Linux distros to XP

espicer
15 years ago

My old laptop's hard drive gave up the ghost finally and I put a new 160 gig in it and reinstalled Windows XP from the mfgr's rescue disk so I'm basically at square one with it. Haven't done much else with it yet. The thought occurred to me that it's the perfect time to try out a couple flavors of Linux now on a machine that wouldn't matter if I have to format and start over. Been chomping at the bit for years to get some experience with Linux.

After asking around, reading various thoughts here and there I've boiled it down to Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) and Mepis as the two I'd like to try out first. I was going to put one on but thought heck, why not try for two. I have plenty of space, right?

I'm looking for some thoughts here and have a couple questions.

My plan is to have 1 partition for Windows XP, another for keeping data and store data/backups etc, for both Linux and Windows in the data partition. Then have a partition each for the distros and another small partition for a Linux swap file. I also thought about yet another small partition for a Windows swap file but let's not go crazy here.

Is it a bad idea to start out with two new versions? I'm wondering if I'd be better off to start with one, get more comfortable with it and then try adding another. Just seems that hey, there's room so why not, especially if I should have problems with one of them. Guess I don't really mind taking a plunge and risking failure on this machine.

I was reading about the order of the partitions being important too. I can't remember where it was or I'd link it but essentially they were talking about a certain order was required or it would mess up the availability of space down the road. IIRC it was for a data partition had to be last? I just don't remember. Does this make sense to anyone?

Next, if I do go forward with 2 distros, can they share a swap file partition or should they each have a separate partition for the swap file? I'm not talking about the program, of course they need to be separate. I'm wondering if 2 distros could share a swap file partition.

I was thinking that if I decide to go with only one at first, I think I'd reserve the space on the drive anyway so it would be easier to install down the road. That way I wouldn't have to resize partitions again. If there's an issue with the order of them, then I should partition it now right? Then add later?

As far as the multi-booting is concerned, I also have a question on how it works for the second distro. Or is it essentially automatic? I'm going with very, very little knowledge here, just what I've been reading lately. So pardon the naive questions. I guess I'm wondering if that's going to complicate things more.

I'm planning to download the Linux System Rescue CD and the most current versions of the Linux distros. A couple thumb drives and a large backup drive will be available if I need files. I'll have my other machine to do research in case of problems. Windows CDs are available if I goof that up. And a jug of brandy will be kept close in case of problems...

Anything else you think I'll need or should have? Or should I say, back off, and do one at a time?

Your help is appreciated.

Comments (13)