SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Traditional Aga questions

igloochic
14 years ago

We have purchased a victorian home and will eventually remodel the non existant kitchen. We had thought to take out the wood cook stove and replace it with a swedish fireplace (to help heat the house since it's big and drafty) but today were thinking maybe this is the perfect house for a traditional Aga. I understand they give off some heat since they're always on, and that would be perfect in this climate (Washington).

IF you have one, do they put off a little heat regularly? And we have concerns about the way we cook...DH uses his french top quite often and we like to cook in a wok weekly...can you do this on a traditional aga???

I have to look....I want a big one, probably over six feet if possible....if you have one, how do you like it?

Comments (36)

• markw
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Of course, what's a "little" heat is subjective but I'd call it more than a little and *all* of the time, not just "regularly". Also, you might find that while the heat might be an asset during the winter, it will make your kitchen miserable during the summer, so if you go the AGA route, you might want to make plans for an alternative during the summer so you can turn off the AGA. You'd find wok cooking on the AGA impractical unless it was something that could be finished quickly, as in under five minutes. The hot plates are very hot when the covers are first opened but cool very rapidly once open; there just isn't enough heat from the burner (something like 7K BTU/hr) to keep it up.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Ah, yes. September in Coupeville. No heat until October, never mind that the interior temperature is under 60 degrees. Running off to Kmart in Oak Harbor to buy sweats, heavy socks, watch cap, muffler and fingerless gloves. September is the hottest month in SoCal. I had appropriate clothes for Coupeville, which seems warmer than the seaward part of the island--but not for sitting indoors with no AGA or any other heat, and I couldn't work in my outdoor clothes. An AGA would have been perfect!

I haven't had one, myself, but this is what I know: Using the hotplates, as you know, is very much like using a French top. Using the ovens is like using a wood stove. They're small and funky. They're hotter closer to the firebox, so you not only have to move things between ovens to change overall temperature, but you have to move them around within an oven, turning, rearranging, etc., to get them to cook evenly.

I'm told the AGA was designed for blind people who couldn't see to adjust the valves.

I think it would be great for a lot of every day cooking, and would make a lovely centerpiece for the kitchen, and be a real hearth for the home, but with the addition of a Gaggenau wok unit (which without the ring is a very powerful induction unit for any compatible pot) and a Gaggenau or Miele (i.e., precise) oven for baking. That is, good for a lot, but not everything. If you supplemented it that way, you could also turn it off when it's actually hot out, as Mark said, and still have some indoor cooking available.

• Related Discussions

New Traditions or 'the Tradition'?

Q

Comments (50)
    Hi Scott I dicover many things while attending Korean temple and reading Sutras. since I have no guidance to reading sutra. I may not understand sutras fully. small portion of words in sutra is some how relate to Japanese garden. I found why willow tree is used around pond also found why willow tree is symbol of long life in book of divination . old photo of Ginkakuji had lotus in the pond , but there is no water liliy now ,and planting of tree and shurb in peninsula are much different than today. planting of willow/ choice of willow came from sutra . silver of Ginkakuji temple and gold of Kinkaji also written in Sutra. I thought "sama" at end of name is pure Japanese word, but now I know it was ancent Korean custom to call Monk. Samma is the way Korean write and pronanceation a little different than today's Japanese. And now I see Chinese temple has stone lanterns, according my a Japanese stone lantern book, Chinese temple's stone lanterns are not exist many. It may be true statement, may be what I saw in photo of Chinese temple could be replica of old stone lanterns since China had many domestic wars thousand years. I see different between Korean and Chinese stone lanterns . and Japanese stone lanters are different than Chinese and Korean. Tanyou sho VS Tagyo sho : now I know which book made miss take and when. It was not Dr MIcheal Dirr. It was more 100 year ago . ( I have to save this part for my future book ) If I did not study sutras my self, I would not understand many parts of Japanese garden and it's history. It took me hundreds of hours and reading lot's more than 100 books. once I can reach to some point to understand buddhism and history, then I have to go back to designe and horticulture of Gardening again. About edzard : He is faceing serious wild annimal problem. Bear dameged his truck already. now trying to get his horses. wolf and coyote as well. He is spending sleep less nights quite some time. Please give him time. I was going to make joke about bear but seriousness of problem , It is not good time for joking. As we get old ( I am talking to you, heheheh ) we gaind experience and read more books and contacted many knowgeble peoples and gained more information from them , and we get stone head/ stubborness ( now I am talking about my self ;)... ) Edzard is well educated, soft spoken man. much different than writting when I talk to him. once I settele in Salem Mass , I am going invited edzard to our home . since your are not very far from Salem, we can get togather face to face, we can know each other well. If I send smell of a good Cuban ciger to INky , He may visit too. while you give edzard time to cacth up, you will find many intresting things in the sutras. If you want to take shout cut and want to know what sutra and where in sutra relate to Japanese garden . I will show you secretly... (I should not tell to every one whole story of Movie, right ? ) Oh ,,Well, it's about time to go to bed..... mike
    ...See More

What is an Aga? ( Very Long! and Xposted)

Q

Comments (101)
    Your comments are easing the pain of this long drawn out reno we've been living in. I started the demo in Jan and have been working every day, night and weekend as I've done all the work myself. I've already used up all my vacation time for the year. I can't comment to much on the "actual" cooking experience as DW is the only cook in our house, I just reap the benefits. This kitchen is for her for because she deserves it and has always wanted an AGA and a beautiful kitchen. Our first meal was pancakes of course! The kids love pancakes. quiltgirl Regarding our counters, we have about 36" to the right and about 60" to the left. There is a large island directly across from the AGA. The granite was templated a week ago and should be ready for install in a week or so.
    ...See More

How to Sell/Trade a Traditional 4 oven Aga in Texas

Q

Comments (4)
    In my experience unless you are very very lucky you have scrap metal on your hands. look at it this way It will cost the buyer ... Take apart (correctly) $1500 Crate and Pallet (Correctly) $300 Ship as a one off (1400lbs) $2500 (low side) Reassemble Correctly $2500 (with new stuffing) Then fingers crossed it was taken down properly, shipped safely and works on arrival. I was offered one a few years ago from a store in NY, brand new shop floor display never been turned on, $7999.00 4 months late it was offered to me again for $2000 if i took it down and shipped it, 3 weeks later it was smashed and scarped for $500 .......
    ...See More

question about AGA ranges

Q

Comments (53)
    At the risk of returning to something at least mildly cooking related, cpovey, while you're right about the physics of how food gets cooked and I think I generally agree with you conclusions about the classic AGA, you had it wrong when you wrote "Therefore, all ovens (except microwave) cook primarily by radiant heat (with a small contribution by convection). In all ovens, the walls get hot. This heat then radiates out to the food, thus heating the food. Thus, Aga ovens are no different than regular ovens in how they heat food." In fact, the predominant way food gets cooked in an oven is by conduction, not radiation: food gets hot by the transfer of heat energy from the hot air in the oven. In a normal oven, the element or flame heats the air, the air heats the walls of then oven, which are then exactly the same temperature as the air and nowhere near hot enough to emit significant infrared radiation. Having the walls warm really mean nothing to cooking except as stores of heat, they help get the air back up to temperature faster when the door is opened. Generally speaking, something has to glow (at least in the infrared part of the radiomagnetic spectrum) before radiation becomes a signficant factor in cooking, as in the case of a broiler. A convection oven cooks somewhat faster because the moving air improves conduction into the food. In this respect, an AGA *is* somewhat different: rather than the air heating the metal, the metal heats the air and the oven walls are often warmer than the air. It's still nowhere near warm enough to contribute significantly to cooking, though, and to the extent it does it's a problem because the oven walls closer to the flame (towards the center of the AGA, in other words) are much hotter than those further from the flame (the side, back and especially the doors). It's one of the reasons why an AGA is so difficult for baking.
    ...See More
  • rococogurl
    14 years ago

A friend of mine with a farm in Vermont has an Aga -- it's in a secondary kitchen and used for heating as well as for some cooking -- he uses it for stews, stocks, casseroles and other slow-cooked dishes -- smaller stuff.

However, they have an entire principal kitchen with a 60" Viking plus an extra oven.

It's on continually during the cold season.

I think woks and Agas are not a good marriage but a separate wok unit would take care of that.

Before I went the Aga route I'd take a close look at the ovens, which are small, low, narrow, unlighted and steel plated with a latch that requires insulated mitts to do and undo. Then there are the fuel situation and ventilation issues -- choice, cost etc.

It's not really a stove in the traditional No American sense and would require some significant adjustments.

The comment thread linked here provides some perspective and a few chuckles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aga Comments

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Pllog are you in Coupeville? My auntie lived there for years :)

The heat issue would rarely be a problem here because we're pearched high on a cliff and buffetted by wind every day...even in the heat of this summer when we visited the house was pretty comfortable, not at all hot, even on the fourth floor. The kitchen has several doors and windows so I don't think it would ever be unbearable....but it's worth considering.

I think we have more investigation to do. We don't mind small ovens, (we have a Lacanche at the other house) but I don't want to supliment a non functional stove with extra's either. I hate wall ovens (I don't know why I just do). Interesting about the hot tops cooling down quickly....not wok friendly at all and we do really like to wok cook at least weekly. In trying to keep the kitchen somewhat true to the style of the home, adding another wok burner elsewhere would be a challenge. Maybe we should go back to the idea of a swedish stove and a Lacanche....I wonder if they make swedish stoves with bread ovens....hummmm

I'll read the other thread as well :) Thanks for making us think more!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Hi Igloo,

As I'm sure you're already aware, the traditional Aga cooker is the range that folk either love madly or love to hate! Since I neither own one nor have ever cooked on one, I will not try to enter this discussion by suggesting whether or not you should purchase one for your new Victorian home (congratulations, btw!) However, as a very proud and satisfied owner of an Aga 6-4, I will butt in here for a moment to say that if you're thinking of going Aga again, you might want to seriously consider that unit.

Without a doubt, a prime appeal of the Aga 6-4 is that it looks almost exactly like the traditional Aga cooker (except for not having the hobs) but performs like a traditional North American pro-style range. So, for example, the Aga 6-4 does not stay always on. Instead it's a high-powered, dual fuel range that turns on and off. The 6 sealed and contiguous gas burners include ultra-rapid (which I frequently use for woking and frying), semi-rapid, and simmer functions;the 4 cast iron ovens can roast, convection bake, broil, and simmer/warm. The ovens are continuous self-cleaning (although I agree with the comments in the post that Roc uploaded -- the black enamel range top is a bear to keep clean!)

Yes, the Aga 6-4's ovens are "small" in comparison to traditional American ovens. However, since I'm usually cooking for an army of one, I have yet to encounter a problem with oven size. At the same time, I was thrilled this past Thanksgiving when I was able to prepare a meal for 15 on my Aga 6-4 without skipping a beat and while I alternating between the different ovens and burners with great pleasure and ease. Also, what I like most about the 4 ovens (besides their incredible cast iron insulation properties) is that I'm able to more efficiently ration energy usage that serves my true cooking needs at any one time. Lots of food? Use more ovens. Not much food? Use only one or two.

Of course, another plug for the 6-4 is cost. While it's certainly costs way more than most standard American ranges, it's considerably less expensive than your Lacanche or a La Cornue or others in the class of high-end European ranges. So, in my mind, the Aga 6-4 really covers a whole lot of bases: it looks like a traditional Aga cooker, performs in the manner of most American pro-style ranges and is way cheaper than either its British prototype or its French classic cousins. I love mine!

BTW, here's an alternative suggestion: if you are more inclined towards going with a traditional Aga cooker (especially given Washington's cool-cold climate), why not consider both a Cooker and an Aga Companion? This way, you could have the width, looks and performance functions you are seeking all in one. (The Companion turns on and off and the rangetop allows for wok cooking. Whatever you decide, good luck!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, I should have been more specific. I was just getting colder by the second thinking of it. I used to be an habitue' of the Arts Center, so only lived in Coupeville for long weeks twice a year for years. I loved Coupeville, though I haven't been there in quite a while, and I know a lot of my favorite places there were changing even when I was last there. Still, if I ever were to want a vacation home, I think it would have to be in Coupeville on the cove.

Have you considered...a Lacanche? It's the only range that's ever tempted me... ;-)

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Great post Martha. You have a unique view/suggestion with your gorgeous red range. I'm going d-u-h (slapping side of head).

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Martha thank you for your well thought out post! I should have mentioned we did put in an american style aga in our corporate rental and loved it. It was smaller (about 36") than our other stove so we missed function but did love the way it cooked. But in an aga here, I'm really looking for the convenience of removing a large antique cook stove and replacing it's function (in a traditional aga) or I end up going with a sweedish tile stove where that one is and a different range. (it's a big house and we want to supliment the forced air heat).

I did see the companion and need to look at burner stregnth. I have to admit we're a bit spoiled with our other stove at home (15k burners) which DH loves but we're open to other options.

LOL Pllog, you know I have a Lacanche :oP If we go lacanche here we'll go with a HUGE one (two big ovens and two warming cabs) which is tempting :) Or DH's dream of a molteni. He want's an island molteni....wouldn't that be fun :) BUt I've already kiboshed that idea with a big stick LOL We could buy a nice new child for that kind of money :OP Maybe even one that does dishes...(A girl can dream right?)

Ohhh martha I just read the last post again...red....yummy! I've been so dull always going with black but I hae two red lights I am thinking of moving to the kitchen and a red range.....mmmmm wouldn't that be fun :)

• plllog
    14 years ago

OMG!!! I didn't even know a Molteni podium was in the running!!! Diva makes a podium too. Don't know if it costs any less than a new kid, though. I actually was thinking of saying "Molteni" above, but "Lacanche" was funnier. :) And I have had lust for a Fontenay.

Are you talking Sully 2200? Does that come with landing lights?

I actually like the sound of the Swedish stove and other range. You could even juxtapose the tile with something modern like a BlueStar. Get it in a color pulled from the stove tile.

I like Marthavila's idea too, of combining the Aga with a companion. That way the supplement is really "part" of the main range.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Isn't the podium the big one that looks like a space ship? Eighty grand if it's a dime? (It was 80k three years ago).

No the more old fashioned one...

{{gwi:1435346}}

Which is probably still fifty k.

It is kinda cool though isn't it :)

I actually went to buy a molteni for our alaska home and was so turned off by the salesman in portland oregon that I decided to go look at lacanche instead. It was almost half the price with a lot more features (for the size we could fit in) but if we could do the island....ohh la la wouldn't dh be in cooking heaven?

I must tell you though, before he can spend 50k on a range, he must provide me with a housekeeper and a gardener first so he's best pray for good years. It's much more likely that an aga or a sully is in his future (yup the 2200....flight path for diverted aircraft and possible anchor for any stray nuck subs).

I have always loved the look of a sweedish stove, but size in a kitchen does matter. This is the stove I need to replace for heat:
    {{gwi:1477843}}

And this is the space I think I'll tuck a range in:
    (In where the white cab is...that used to be the servant's stairs)
    {{gwi:1477845}}

But dh feels he can give up his big island with fridge drawers etc for a molteni island LOL (He can't) but it's fun to hear him dream

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Wow. That's a great looking space, Igloo! I can only imagine how gorgeous the rest of your new old house looks. And I can also just imagine how much you must be itching to roll up your sleeves and get started on this one! :-) But what, pray tell, are you going to do with that marvelous antique stove? It's fantastic! I get that it doesn't serve your needs, but where is it going??? Also, I must say, biased as you already know I am -- after seeing this space, I think the call for a replacement range (as least as far as design is concerned) is definitely for the Aga!

BTW, on the matter of the red aga -- I tell you, that color is the love of my life and I wouldn't dream of trading it in for something else in my kitchen! But that's also because my kitchen is some kind of eclectic mix of French deco, English country, and NYC urban -- so a lot of design boundaries are being crossed there. LOL! However, when it comes to seeing the Aga (6-4) in a more classically traditional kitchen, I always reference Ndweb's kitchen. It's a real head turner IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• plllog
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! Too bad the back stairs are gone, though. I love back stairs, even if they're servants' ladders. What's in the stack behind the stove?

I don't know anything about Diva range prices, function, etc. Just that they're pretty. I think they're North American, however, which might make them less expensive.

{{gwi:1477847}}
    {{gwi:1477849}}

On a practical basis, however, I think a little more maneuvering room is called for for an island range.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Hah!! I found a price. The Diva island is reportedly $20K-40K. I'm guessing the brass posts and paw feet on the red one are the $40k. :-D

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Why not just have the existing old stove professionally retrofitted for gas, gas and electric--pretty much any config you want?

Here is a link that might be useful: One of many antique stove refurbishers

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL At least ya'll can see why I'm asking about an aga...it's the right style for the house. I am contemplating going red with a stove because I might use these lights in the kitchen (I have two)
    {{gwi:1477850}}

I think they'd be cool over an island.

Now on to the Diva (A stove that any woman would be proud to own LOL) It didn't do as well in cook tests as the Molteni and it's priced about fifteen k over a molteni. I personally think it is a bit too square...but do love the feet LOL Molteni also has feet, they're brass and wonderful....I asked the price and was told about two grand a foot heh heh Those are some expensive shoes!

It is kind of sad about the back stairs...the main reason being that without them I can't escape if I'm in my jammies and company shows up because they enter through double doors, the inner of which are glass. Servants stairs to dash up would be lovely. But I believe that they were where my future master bath is so I can let them go I suppose LOL WE're hoping to find original plans and see where they went exactly. I have a lot of research to do. Another loss is the original dumb waiter. We have the opening and the lovely doors upstairs but it's now a plumbing and HVAC corridor and it would be horrific to try to put it back because of all the modern stuff routed through the box, including the furnace on the 1st level (it's four floors).

The stove is probably original to the house. Behind that drywall and wallpaper is a gorgeous brick chiminey which we'll probably expose. It ties into a couple of fireplaces on higher floors as well as one on the 1st level (daylight basement). We've been toying with a propane stove but they can't install them in the stack because they can't vent out over 30' apparently.

The house is a monster to heat so the suplimental heat is important. As it is we hve two propane stoves that supliment the forced air. We would like to add two more or one more in the 1st level and a sweedish or an aga on the main level.

Above the alcove that held the stairs is just a big opening used for storage. It's perfect for venting out a hood or two which could be tucked in the opening left by the stairs. I could tile the entire nook and push the stove in there, vent appropriately and have a lovely nook that feels somewhat victorian. All changes have to be approved so that's important. (I'm not sure the island diva fits the bill LOL)

The house is a gem....a gem we just moved into and I feel like I've moved into a hotel I have to clean. A bit daunting but lovely. We feel honored to own it and scared chitless heh heh

And please...just in case you think I'm a horrible sinner...we are keeping this stove (which is original to the home):
    {{gwi:1477852}}

We're also keeping the original builder's bedroom set, all fireplaces, his daughters bedroom set, his sofa and three chairs, the original porteriers...really, everything but the stove, which we will put down in the wine room as an accent piece. It just eats up too much room in the kitchen :( And we did look at a recondition, but it's not really a practicle stove to cook on and we regularly cook for a dozen or more people at a time. A big range is necessary but it will be in the style of the house :) We are returning the master suite to it's original footprint to the best of our ability and rebuilding the 3 1/2 story water tower in the back, so don't think we're abusing the place :( We do treasure it's history and want to honor the original builder...but we also want a bigger oven :oP I actually think he'd be ok with that.

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Since you're taking this off-topic...

I hope you don't mind that I snooped at more of the pictures and read about the house a bit online. (Kind of hard not to be intrigued!) Just wondering, what's your motivation in owning this house? I mean, it's a LOT of house to be turning back into residential...

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I could see one of these Swedish stoves in that space. My kitchen in the country was inspired by an antique Swedish stove but I'm a glazed tile person.

Also, there are many of these European TOC tile stoves around and they are going for very little these days as people don't know what to do with them. I think they have a ton of charm and would certainly work in the room.

Then there would be an Aga on which I agree with Martha. Sorry Pilloq but I've seen the Molteni and I wasn't loving it at all. I much prefer this Caumartin if one wants a truly serious French stove. Art Culinaire -- the Lacanche folks -- may rep it or should know how to get one.

• plllog
    14 years ago

LOL! Rococcogurl, I don't have a horse in this race. It was the podium that made me think Molteni around the time Igloo said it. And I only brought up Diva because I thought they cost less! Caumartin are great looking, but I don't like their island version so much, and they don't have a podium.

Igloo, I love the idea of tiling the whole niche (which probably went straight up into that storage area), and putting in the aircraft carrier. And then have a {{gwi:1477838}} where the iron stove is. It would take up less room and generally stick out less obtrusively in front of that chimney.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK OT a bit...food...what's our motivation?

Honestly, we love history, in particular, we love historic structures. When we found out we were going to have to leave our home (Alaska) we knew we wanted to have a fun place to go to in the winters (our son is very ill and can't take the harsh winters in AK). I am a SAHM by force because of my son's illness. I have always been a pretty serious career woman, so staying at home is not really something I enjoy. Moving to a boring new house would not have fed my need for "Something" other than just dealing with a child (We adore him, but a 4 year old can't be your entire life or you'll go nuts). So combining our love or architecture, my need for a focus other than child, but that still allowed me time for our child when I need to be with him, led us down the historic home path.

So then you have DH, a man who lives to cook for people :) He loves to entertain and we often find we're limited in our smaller home in Alaska (2100 sq ft). So we agreed our home must be historic and it must be larger than 5000 sq ft. It was to be the "hang out house" for our son and his friends (so I can spy on them and figure out which ones are nice LOL) and a home we can entertain to our hearts delight in. We did focus on that 5000 number...and in fact felt it a stretch when we found the "perfect" home that was 6000 sq ft, but it was historically significant and a very interesting home that needed to be loved (another B&B). Unfortunately the owner is a crack pot :)

I never intended a home this big...I'm still daunted by it (we've been here less than a month) but one thing I'm happy about, as was the seller, is that we can afford to love the home as it should be. We can afford to take it back to what it was in it's hayday when Mr. James built it in honor to him. He was an amazing man and this amazing home should still reflect his personality. It does somewhat, but it's lost some of it's polish and we'd like to put that back. We also have a deep desire to be a part of the community in which we live, so we plan on sharing the home in the future with the community so we didn't just buy the monster to lock it up for private use only as many do with these homes (I grew up in this town and saw that a lot). My youth taught me to hate mcmansions and love the mansions of old. DH feels the same. It's a shame to see people drive by these wonderful homes and build some new monstrosity when this monstrosity is avail...ok wait that sounds bad :) Suffice to say, we are on a mission to save these wonderful homes one at a time. Our next is already within our eyesight :) Only we'd like to turn it into a museaum (we hope to fund the beginning of a drive and then see the community take it from there).

And now I'm getting boring :) It happens when I discuss old homes, particularly those that aren't as "attractive" due to their size. But in reality, we're not that nobel...we love the house. It's an amazing piece of history!

Rococo...I've had that first website marked for years LOL I absolutely love those as well as the tiled stoves (I have a bit of a thing for glazed tile myself, particularly hand made). The thing about them is that they are incredibly effective, and yet slim :) Which we need in this kitchen if we're going to make it flow. It has so many areas that jut out, or doors, that make it hard to plan and the cook stove just eats up space without providing any value sadly (aside from aestetic). But it will be gorgeous in the wine room.

One thing about this house...it was ten bedrooms, but it is now six. We had it's last big shin dig last week (ten couples) and now it's truely a private home. Beds are replaced with Thomas the train and match box cars. A sewing room, a wine room, a heaven sent laundry room (done like an old fashioned linen room for the great homes with maids...which we sadly don't have LOL).

So now all we need is a kitchen :)

Ohh Foodonastump (you must explain that name LOL) we are researching the house like mad fools. Many of the pics are off the web (which you know since you've looked at it a bit) but if you find anything obscure like info on the hospital that operated in the 20's or apartment dwellers of the 40's, feel free to drop me a note! We are working on a website with it's history and hope to have it up in a few years (the site is currently owned by the previous owner...jameshouse.com).

And if anyone loves to clean bathrooms...please come visit LOL

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

pillog, can't have a stove without a podium. Must-have. You are right.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rococo, I brought up the podium :) DH likes the island molteni (posted above) which a podium also qualifies as but they go for about 80,000 (and they're ugly LOL)

You really like the caumartin? We looked at one (art culinare) and I thought it was pretty cold looking. Nice ovens, but no style. In that area I think the molteni and lacanche have caumartin and La Corneau beat out. I just didn't like the service from the folks I was going to purchase the molteni from, and at close to 36" (I can't remember the french equilivent but it came in around 40" I think) you don't get much oven space from a molteni. If I'd have had another couple of feet I'd have liked the molteni options better.

I think the molteni island is gorgeous and would be fabulous in a kitchen, just not mine LOL One needs about a 40'x 20 kitchen for that baby...one stove island and one real island maybe.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

The Caumartin is a range I first saw in restaurants in France. The fit, finish, function and choices are exceptional -- essentially it's ultra high end custom. Expect you might be able to count the number in this country on two hands but perhaps I'd be surprised.

It would require a great deal of space and a sophisticated and costly ventilation system that's likely more practically built from scratch than retrofit in an old house. Before going there I'd also look into whether or not the floor would need reinforcement. (ditto for molteni or any of the other big boys).

I saw a full Molteni installation in the Kip's Bay showhouse here and wasn't impressed. I didn't love the stove-style concept but that's just a vagary of taste. Molteni is a good choice. No issue.

The funny thing is that while I know a great many chefs and restaurant owners none has any of the ranges under discussion here. Most go with Wolf or Viking.

You've got a big issue with the heating. Aga does look most practical as a two-fer and at worst, Viking makes a 24" rangetop with a 27,500 BTW single burner that takes care of the stir-fry. But if I had the space for a Swedish stove.......LOL

I think you're right about Lacanche, also custom. Momto4 (another glazed tile person) has a big one -- 60" built into a niche with a double VAH set up. One look at that stove always makes me feel good.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I always forget it's been so long since I finished my kitchen that maybe people don't know my little secret...see I have a little lacanche too LOL

The venting doesn't worry me as we've been down that road before. We ended up having a VAH remanufactured by a stainless manufacturer into a hood the right size for our range (55 1/2" wide stove). The hood has the normal 3" or so clearance and it's deeper (27") than the standard to increase capture space. Believe it or not, that was pretty complicated on this wall (above) because of the construction and venting to an outside wall in subzero temperatures (code issues specific to alaska) so venting into a nice deep cavity that spans the wall from the kitchen to the outside in the PNW...easy stuff ;OP

I would consider a double hood though if possible because it's cheaper than the custom build.

We were led to a molteni by two chef's who have them in their kitchens (new york and new orleans). BUt I know many who have wolfs and other basic commercial set ups. One thing I'd NEVER own is a viking. Crap...especially the ones built for consumer markets. We'd do lacanche or molteni as we love our lacanche...we just like the uniqueness of the molteni and it's built better than a lacanche (not that they're anything to sneeze at mind you).

I'll have to get my architect program up and running so I can do sketches of the kitchen and we can see what fits. I'm sure something over an easy bake will probably work :)

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I always forget it's been so long since I finished my kitchen that maybe people don't know my little secret...see I have a little lacanche too LOL

The venting doesn't worry me as we've been down that road before. We ended up having a VAH remanufactured by a stainless manufacturer into a hood the right size for our range (55 1/2" wide stove). The hood has the normal 3" or so clearance and it's deeper (27") than the standard to increase capture space. Believe it or not, that was pretty complicated on this wall (above) because of the construction and venting to an outside wall in subzero temperatures (code issues specific to alaska) so venting into a nice deep cavity that spans the wall from the kitchen to the outside in the PNW...easy stuff ;OP

I would consider a double hood though if possible because it's cheaper than the custom build.

We were led to a molteni by two chef's who have them in their kitchens (new york and new orleans). BUt I know many who have wolfs and other basic commercial set ups. One thing I'd NEVER own is a viking. Crap...especially the ones built for consumer markets. We'd do lacanche or molteni as we love our lacanche...we just like the uniqueness of the molteni and it's built better than a lacanche (not that they're anything to sneeze at mind you).

I'll have to get my architect program up and running so I can do sketches of the kitchen and we can see what fits. I'm sure something over an easy bake will probably work :)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Little paw feet would be so cool... I wonder if you could find some in salvage and have them applied?

I'm a big red fan, but for some reason, every time we talk about your aircraft carrier, I think butter yellow (soft, not like that horrible Diva color). And green with yellow on white tiles in the niche and yellow with green on white on the Swedish stove. White woodwork. Probably way off the mark, but that's what I'm seeing in my head.

On topic, can you explain in what ways the Molteni is better made than the Lacanche? I'm very interested even though I'm not a range type.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was partying a couple of days in Alaska so I missed this post..sorry for the delay.

So what's the difference..both are french ranges, high quality etc, but the difference is important. It's kind of like comparing lined silk drapes from Bed Bath and Beyond to Custom made silk drapes, lined and interlined, finished with antique silk fringe to each other. Both are going to be lovely on your windows, but when you look at tthe detail in the custom made drapes you're going to notice a level of quality that isn't available with ready made drapes of any quality. The materials will be a perfect match to your decor, being custom made, and custom sized to fit the window application perfectly. Instead of basic clip rings, you probably have hand finished pleats, goblet, etc, but something "different' that you won't find ready made. The weight of the silk will be heavier in the hand done pieces as well as the lining. One is lovely, the other is perfect for the space, verses being just lovely in the space, and possibly lovely in a lot of spaces.

Molteni's are made by hand specifically to the design of the person who orders it. If you want a stove that is 42" deep and say 6' wide, they'll make it. They will add whatever stregnth burners, or whatever type of cooking impliment you want to the range. Want a sink next to your fryer? 20K burner?...you name it they will make it for you, and really, made specifically for YOU. The top is solid cast iron and the body is heavy steal topped with your finish of choice...cronium or enamel. Open the ovens and it's like you've opened a heavy bank vault (I guess not everyone knows what that's like...how about a 1956 chevy door verses a 2009 hundi door). Opening the door of a lacanche is also a nice experience in quality, but there is a difference between the two.

The brass if cast specifically for you and it's finished with a logo of your own design if you'd like. I mean the whole danged oven is done for you...no one has one like it.

The lacanche offers many nice options, and we found what we wanted in the configurations available, but being able to determine exactly what your burner configeration is, etc, would be a luxury.

It's really a lot like comparing a la corneau to a cornue fe...both nice, but when you touch the la, you hear birds sink ohhh la la...when you touch the cornue fe...it's nice, but that's it. (they're not as nice as a lacanche either imo).

Did that make any sense?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, total sense, thank-you!! I've only seen one Molteni IRL and didn't get to do more than see it (i.e., no touching or hearing about features or anything). Thank-you for textile and car metaphors! Those I understand!! I'm really not a range person, and they cost what all of my appliances together cost, I think, but custom? That, I understand, too!

During my brief flirtation with French ranges (btw, I agree about the LaCornu--they have a lot of flexibility in options, and all, but I did have hands on a chateau, and it just wasn't full on lustable, and I didn't like the ovens. The CornuFe is like the Mercedes C series. 'Nuf said.) Anyway, during my flirtation, I did put my hands on a number, and have to say that the Lacanche has the romance down. It's not as showy, or as fancy as some, but I love the warming cabinet, and it's just ... nice.

So... Molteni is a Bentley and Lacanche is a BMW?

I hope the trip to Alaska was nice, and not too Winter Solsticey.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Perfect analogy (Bentley and BMW). Neither is a challenge to own, but you don't want to get used to the Bentley, it will spoil you for life heh heh

By the way, typing that up I almost convinced myself we needed the Molteni heh heh

Alaska was a whirlwind! I flew in and arrived at 2pm but didn't get into my home until 12 midnight after a full work and social calendar. Then the next day we threw a party for 500 of our closest friends (ok a work shindig) so I was on my feet in heels until after 3 am, then back on a plane in the morning with the cat. If I didn't have a four year old I'd currently be napping after my nights sleep heh heh Mind you that could only happen if the dog and cat didn't decide to have a chasing reunion at 5 am (until about 8:30 when I gave up). They raced all over the house (the cat hasn't been here and apparently the dog missed him). Crashes every ten mins or so....I'm afraid to go downstairs LOL

• plllog
    14 years ago

LOL!!! At least life isn't boring for you!!

I know how you feel about the self-convincing. Looking at the Bentley description (come on down for a factory tour and choose your fabircs, etc.) does it for me, until I slap my face and remember the price and door dings. And real estate. 'Course even a Molteni costs a lot less than a Bentley and lasts a heck of a lot longer...

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

OK I didn't read this post thoroughly but will chime in. We lived in England for 6 months in a small farming village. The kitchen was huge and gorgeous, cherry cabinets, granite counter tops, stone floors and a giant AGA. (not sure how big - maybe 60" and I looked on line and it cost ~$20,000) Personally I HATED, HATED that AGA. It was a traditional AGA range on the right side with 2 hubs? and 3 ovens that were always on and a gas part on the left side with 4 burners and a oven with temperature control. The right side stayed on except in the summer when we turned it off. I never learned how to cook or bake in it properly - and I love to cook. The ovens were ridicously small. I tried, but grew frustrated. I would use the gas side for my cooking and mainly the right side for heating the room and boiling water for tea. Now this 4 bedroom, 4 bath house selling for $1 million in the middle of North Yorkshire had a built in washer in the kitchen but no dryer! They had a drying rack in front of the AGA that you could lower to put clothes on it and raise it so it's out of the way while you cook. The 1st thing we bought was a dryer but there was no way to vent it so we got a condenser dryer (popular over there) and had to dump out the drip pan after every load. This is a picture of the range WITH THE DRYING RACK above it when I was looking at the house to rent

• donnaclaire
    14 years ago

There is a reason the Aga is $20,000 and has been around since the 1920's with very few changes. It is a magnificent oven. It is gorgeous to look at and the food simply tastes better. Instead of turning the stove on/off up/down each oven is a different temperature. Most food can be cooked in advance and re-heated in no time. I guess if you want to cook 20 pound turkeys every week, this oven isn't for you. Go to a demonstration to get the idea of what this oven is about.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the reason we're leaning away donna isn't that it isn't a fabulous stove for it's ovens...it's the burners that don't work for us. We would never cook a turkey in an oven (big green egg only) but we do stir fry a lot and need significant heat for a period of time to cook it healthy. We actually do very little oven cooking, and much more stove top, so that's our focus area. We reheat so little I can't remember the last time I did so frankly.

The Aga, lacanche, molteni...they're all wonderful, but each seems to have it's special abilities. I would like the warming factor that you get from a traditional aga, but DH would never give up the flexibility of the stove top he needs for a warmer kitchen when we can get that in other ways.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

igloo's made a great point that speaks to the "which oven/range should I buy" post that we see over and over here.

There are stovetop cooks and oven cooks. It really does break down that clearly. Once you figure out which category you belong to, the choice should be easier.

It's only natural to recommend what you know and love. But sometimes I think we don't encourage folks to analyze the want (fashion/aspiration) vs the need. After that comes style and budget etc.

• donnaclaire
    14 years ago

Your points are valid!!!! Since 80% is done in the ovens and only 20% on top, the Aga may not be right for you. I just wanted to comment how delicious the food is. I know you will choose the right stove....Good luck!! Wish i had an old house.
    Donna Claire

• plllog
    14 years ago

Donnaclaire reminds me of a restaurant makeover show that was on cable awhile back. It's was a pizza joint that only had the pizza ovens--no stove. The consultant helped them develop some other entrees that could be made in au gratin dishes that could go right in the pizza oven and then to table. Clever.

Igloo, any closer to a decision? (Other than the ball and claw feet? (VBG))

• donnaclaire
    14 years ago

I did not mean to get into Aga cooking, but since they are pretty rare in the US, I think many are unsure of how they cook. Example today: grilled cheese sandwich: toast on boiling plate (30 seconds) put entire sandwich in the roasting oven for 2 minutes..a breeze. Everything cooked on the top can be cooked in the ovens. I don't use my toaster, broiler or microwave. It is pretty easy really.
    Donna

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio