SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Layout pet peeve

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

I know I'm a cranky old woman and crank about a lot of things....waterline brick that make buildings look stumpy....massive garages that dwarf the front entrance...too many gables and too many finishes on the exterior...I crank about green elements that could be added at little or no cost including siting the building on the property to be sensitive to the sun, plus so much more.

But here's one I really don't get. Just ran across another layout where the master bedroom wing had exposure on 3 sides. Instead of putting the bed in that area where you could get lovely light, cross vent, and potential views on 3 sides, they stuck the bath there and the closets in the corners. That I don't get. Maybe it's just me, but one thing we insisted on was all bedrooms get cross vent. Part of it is being green...you can avoid a/c on many lovely evenings. Part of it is daylight and views. A room just feels so much better when you get light from more than just one wall. Part of it is practicality...bathrooms want more privacy and need wall space for things like showers and mirrors and vanities and sometimes water closets. Bedrooms with light can enjoy sitting areas and window seats or benches and lower dressers and window treatments to add softness.

I just don't get it.

Comments (39)