SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Secunia results - unsure what to do about results

lynnalexandra
15 years ago

I ran Secunia. The quick scan showed everything up-to-date. Then I did a more thorough scan and it found several out-of-date vulnerability versions - all of which seem I think are remnants of earlier versions that still exist on my computer.

Here's the list of what I have (just for the programs I'm unsure about where secunia found insecure programs). The ones below were the secure programs it found:

-Microsoft Windows XP home edition Service pack 2

-Adobe REader 8/x 8.1.2.86

-Apple Quicktime 7.x 7.55.90.70

-ITunes 8.x8.0.1.11

- Apple QuickTime 7.x 7.55.90.70

-Adobe Flash Player 10.x 10.0.12.36

-Adobe Flash Player 9.x 9.0.124.0

-Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x 6.0.70.6 (this is listed 4 times times - all with check marks - do I have extra copies that I should delete? Or are there three for the three browsers I use and something else - Firefox, IE, AOL?)

And here are insecure versions it found and the locations where they are:

-Adobe Flash Player 9.x 9.0.47.0 (Installed on Your System in: C:\i386\Flash9d.ocx). It recommends 9.0.124.0 (which I have and is in the list of secure programs)

-Apple QuickTime 7.x 7.1.6.20 (installed in C:\i386\QuickTime.qts)

- Macromedia Flash Player 6.x 6.0.80.0

(The detected version installed on your system is 6.0.80.0, however, the latest patched version released by the vendor, fixing one or more vulnerabilities, is 6.0.88.0.

Update Instructions:

Update to version 6.0.88.0 or 9.0.47.0. (now I don't understand this recommendation for 9.0.47.0 since that was listed as insecure just 2 lines up - or is Adobe Flash Player and Macromedia Flash Player different)? Anyway this insecure 6.0.80.0 version is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\Flasha.ocx)

- Macromedia Flash Player 6.x 6.0.79.0 (recommends that I Update to version 6.0.88.0 or 9.0.47.0. - so same question as above - why recommend 9.0.47.0 if that was found to be insecure). This one is located in C:\Program Files\EarthLink Setup\windows\access\program files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Flash.ocx (I don't use earthlink and never did - must have been pre-loaded on computer)

- Macromedia Flash Player 7.x 7.0.19.0 (recommends that I get the latest patched version released by the vendor, fixing one or more vulnerabilities, is 9.0.124.0. Again, I have this in other locations). This particular file is located in C:\i386\Flash.ocx.

- Sun Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x 5.0.60.5 (recommens the latest patched version released by the vendor, fixing one or more vulnerabilities, is 5.0.160.2.) Located in C:\i386\java.exe. Now do I need this at all since I seem to have version 6 update 7 already?

Should I just go to the locations where these older versions are and delete them? Or do I need to update the versions for those locations as well?

Hopefully that is clear. Sorry for all the detail, but I figured it was necessary to know whether Secunia is turning up old program files that I should delete - or whether those files are running in some sectors of my computer and need updating there as well.

Thank you.

Lynn.

Comments (6)