SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Trim edge of tile on wall?

charlikin
15 years ago

I have a floor-to-ceiling heating pipe in the corner of my bathroom. When the tile guy reframed my bathroom, the greenboard wouldn't fit behind the heating pipe, so he had it come right up to the pipe, leaving the space behind the pipe open. The idea was for the carpenter to put a framed grill over the pipe itself. The tile guy tiled on top of the greenboard, leaving a few inches untiled at the end so the wood frame could overlap the greenboard and butt up against the edge of the tile.

When the carpenter brought the framed grill, it didn't quite fit. The carpenter said the tile guy should trim down the edge of the tile so the grill fits. (This is the same carpenter who originally messed up my kitchen cabinet installation, though he did a great job the second time around. :-))

Here are some photos that I hope make the situation clear - on the left is the grill in place but overlapping the tile a little; on the right is the pipe without the grill. The pink area on the left is the door at right angles to the tiled wall - if this work ever gets finished, I hope to paint it (and the wood grill frame) a more coordinating color. ;-)

{{gwi:1507114}}Â Â Â Â {{gwi:1507115}}

Does this make sense? Wouldn't it be easier to trim the wood frame of the grill than to trim tile that's already on the wall? Is it even *possible* to trim tile that's already on the wall? It's porcelain tile, and the border is a travertine random mini-brick which I understand is a little on the fragile side...

Appreciate any comments or advice...

Comments (8)