SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kindofbird

BlueStar absurdities and what is reliable?

kindofbird
14 years ago

I am a longtime lurker, first time poster.

I am doing a new kitchen and was about to buy a Blue Star 36" range.. I first learned about the brand from this site, actually. But after reading through the forums it just seems absurd to spend the money and effort on something I will have to hold my breath about. The reliability just does not seem to be there.

Does anyone strongly disagree? I want something that will just work and work and work...

Comments (50)

• marcolo
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Did you check out the threads on NXR? Kind of striking--the combination between low prices and few complaints.

• amcook
    14 years ago

If you are a long time lurker than you should know that this question has been asked so many times that it's a waste of bits to respond. I'm sorry if that sound harsh but the tone of your post makes me suspect this is just a trolling expedition.

If you are really trying to find out about Bluestar, just search for "Bluestar". Good luck.

• Related Discussions

Bertazzoni vs. Blue Star

Q

Comments (23)
    Rococo girl, Love the Kitchen and appliances. Of course you kept those cabinets, why not? Love the color--I was thinking of something similar for mine even though I need new ones, but I'm willing to paint. Also want white marble and thanks for the tip on the sealer. I am planning baskets for above my fridge too. Had them in my last kitchen and they worked out well, sooo light, making them way more useful than cabinets I think. What brand of DW did you get? I've seen very positive feedback on the Leibherr fridge. Wolfgang80, I noticed on AJ Madision that there were some poor reviews of the 24" Berta. Don't know if it's just a coincidence regarding the size, but you might want to check into it. The posts were all older I believe, so they may not be relevant at all.
    ...See More

BlueStar Owners: What do you like most about your range?

Q

Comments (36)
    I purchased two basic 30" Bluestar ranges on special sale, for $1750 each, for my sister and her best friend about a year ago. They do a lot of wok cooking, roasting, and very little baking. One is a DIY, the other less so, and yes, they've had to replace most of the igniters. They are also chefs, and accustomed to taking extra care with professional equipment. Verdict? You might as well take their right arms off at the elbow than get them to switch ranges! Foremost on their list of "pros" is flame and temperature control, specifically high heat wok cooking. Both claim professional results, as confirmed by many on this site. If you are crazy for Asian cuisine, you've found your mid-priced range. My sister, Ann, also loves the broiler, which gives her meats the sear she loves to put on her dinner table. They do not recommend any professional range to beginners, unless you are willing to go to cooking school, and I agree. I chose to go with a little Capital 24" range, which I hope to have up and running soon. I am more of a baker than a wok wizard, and not much of a housekeeper, so sealed burners (easy cleaning) and precise, even oven heat steered me towards Capital. The Bluestar's open burners are the secret to high output flame control, but they don't wipe clean the way sealed burners do. My sister says it's no problem at all, especially for her new best friend... Research shows the designers at Bluestar and Capital have historically produced commercial ranges only, making inroads into people's homes just for the last few years. The reverse can be said of residential brands such as Kitchenaid, Whirlpool, Thermador, etal. I think it's important to remember the difference, since form follows function in so many of our choices. Commercial ranges have less to do with stylish appearance than durability, high heat, and precise control, all of which comes with costly maintenance (including replacement parts and repairs), and of course, astronomical prices. That said, the Bluestar is a very stylish package that satisfies in both commercial, and residential, applications.
    ...See More

Are Blue Star ranges a fire hazard? Reliability?

Q

Comments (15)
    I loved my six-burner Bluestar RCS range at first, but it has caused a lot of headaches, and then the convection fan recall pretty much ruined it for me. It's a whole different oven; the convection feature is useless now. I worked in restaurants for years, and on most residential ovens the convection feature is pretty sad because they use a weak little fan, but the Bluestar convection fan was serious and really improved cooking results. I realize the recall happened out of an abundance of caution (probably with the help of a lot of lawyers), but now the fan will only turn on when the gas is not lit. It's a part time convection fan--maybe on 20% of the time, depending on the cooking temp. If you're roasting a chicken at 500 degrees for nice crispy skin, the convection fan will turn on when the oven is up to 500, but once the fan is on it cools the oven down quickly and the gas kicks on and the fan turns off. It's a joke now. IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE THE CONVECTION FAN RECALL REPAIR, DON'T DO IT. JUST USE YOUR OVEN CAREFULLY. Other problems in the 5 years of owning this thing: The bottom pan fell apart because they used rivets that melt (they replaced that for free, with a stainless steel riveted pan, even though it was after warranty, that was nice). I replaced the first convection fan, under warranty, before the recall, because it was vibrating like crazy. I replaced the oven ignitor once. I currently need a new spark module for one of the burners ($100+ for the part). If you attempt to replace one of the burner ignitors, which I did, the cheap screw holding it on will break, so be ready to drill and tap a new hole and put in a better screw. The stovetop is definitely better than anything out there, but that's about the only good thing I can say. The broiler stinks. Customer service has been decent, but not great. I wouldn't buy Bluestar again, but I'm not sure what else I would buy.
    ...See More

BlueStar vs FiveStar Open Burner; Reliability, Service, Clean-up

Q

Comments (18)
    @Denise Meyer, I have the 30" gas F&P range. Things I love about it: Powerful, responsive burners. Stainless steel top (I much prefer it to the black enamel) Telescopic oven racks (come standard with the range) Soft close oven door Things I don't love about it: No low simmer burners (1,000 BTU is the lowest) The oven isn't real large but it suits my needs. I don't bake much or cook elaborate dinners where I need a large oven.
    ...See More
  • 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I think if you must have gas, Blue Star is the way to go.
    why?
    1--only problems I recall seeing are on their ignitors and the module that provides the spark to them, and they have a new module that everybody is hoping is more reliable.We see ignitor problems on other gas stoves as well, posted here.
    2--Support on the product---I don't know how long you have been lurking, but Trevor jumps thru hoops everytime there is a problem mentioned with one (On this site).(cept for one case and most of us know the story behind that one)
    3--Some of the gas stoves are starting to use cmptr boards
    I would stay away from those for a while--till there is enough feedback regarding their reliability.

Anyway, I hope this helps (No way can I be considered a "Blue Star Hugger"), I love my Electrolux induction---hence you have an "Unbiased opinion" here, (for whatever that is worth)

Good luck

Gary

• andersons21
    14 years ago

I most likely will NOT buy BlueStar despite the tempting power and cast iron burner design. For this kind of money, I'm looking for premium performance AND service. There are too many people who have experienced problems with an appliance that should be pretty simple to get right. And there is too high a chance IMO that if there is a problem, it won't be satisfactorily resolved.

• kindofbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, I don't know what you meant amcook. I am not trying to stir the pot.

I called Trevor and spoke with him and totally respect the way he deals with everything and everyone up here. But if I spend 5k on a range I just want the damn thing to work. I think it is crazy that these high performance ranges seem to be so tempermental. It is not acceptable to me.

I agree with andersons' post.

But I really love a lot of things about the Blue Star. so now I don't know qhat I'll do.

• andersons21
    14 years ago

Well, if it's not realistic to expect an appliance costing thousands of dollars to just work, fine. But if it doesn't work AS ADVERTISED, a company should PROMPTLY repair the appliance so that it does work as advertised, or replace it if a number of repairs have to be done to the same appliance in a short time. And if a customer has to wait for a repair, the warranty should be extended by the amount of time waited for the range to be repaired.

If a manufacturer can't keep their failure rate low enough to still make a profit even after making sure that every customer's range actually WORKS, then they don't deserve to stay in business.

The number of customers whose range does not work as advertised should be zero as far as I'm concerned.

• kindofbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trevor, thanks for the extensive response. I appreciate it and understand all of your points. I don't fully understand why these things are so tempermental.

I am going to call you today. The time you put into answering queries up here is very impressive. I'm sure it helps your business but you go above and beyond.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

andersons.. I believe you may have somewhat unrealistic expectations. I wish you luck in finding any appliance that will meet those standards. If I apply what you just said in the above post to Apple Computer then they would not be in business either. My 6 year old Bosch FL washer (euro style) just died as the motor brushes have worn down. I could call that unacceptable for the price point but hey, when it works, it works GREAT and so I will repair it and move on.

As always, I think Trevor's post is both honest and realistic.

• thull
    14 years ago

I have no idea what the real rate of problems is. That said, our 36" range has been pretty much worry-free for 3.5 years. I'm inclined to agree with Trevor though, that problem reports are over-represented. My participation here has dropped a lot in the past year. And there are a lot of happy users who've moved on to do other things (or at least they aren't bothering to post any more).

Going back to why I bought my range- I think it was really the best combination of price and performance. I really would've loved a dual-fuel Wolf, Viking, or DCS, but they were running about $2k higher with UMRP locking in prices. I ended up, after reading threads #1 through #13 or so (that's about 1300 postings, fyi), getting to see one on a vacation and liking it.

I looked into my SE regional distributor, and they didn't have a local retailer (the one in ATL said 'oh it looks just like Brand X, come look at that'). And the distributor's pricing was list-no-discount (they're in FL and this was at the height of the FL building boom). So, I bought it from Select Appliance and had it shipped in. IIRC, I paid about $3,400.

Not entirely by choice (contractor walked) but I did the installation, and I'm pretty confident that I can do any fixes it may need. It's still key to me that it's a mechanically-simple piece of equipment that doesn't take rocket science (or a computer board) to fix.

Things may have changed in terms of pricing as the brand's visibility has grown. And the whole white glove service concept is pretty cool. But I think there are a lot of folks coming at it from a much-less-DIY perspective than I was. I think the updates to the service setup cover that. And, honestly, beyond cleaning and tweaking some burner adjustments (low flame and bending one igniter wire to a better spot), I haven't touched it.

• andybp
    14 years ago

I also did a lot of research into what range I wanted to buy and as many on GW started looking at the big names (Viking, Wolf, etc.). I ended up with my 36" Blue Star range and feel it was the right choice for me.

I use it almost every day (full discloser: only 2 1/2 months so far)and get such pleasure out of it each time I cook. The broiler is awesome and makes steaks/chops taste like they were served at a top quality steak house. Haven't baked in it yet as have GE Monogram wall oven which I've used for baking brownies, cookies.

I have 2 sisters that also love to cook. One has a Viking cook top and wall ovens. The other has a Wolf 36" range. Neither one is truly happy with their choices.

My sister with the Viking cook top (and double wall ovens) hates it. The burners are close together and they don't ignite well. Often they'll be that ticking sound with no flame. She's had a horrible time with the repair service at Viking. It took months to get her ovens repaired when one incinerated the food (temperature was way off). Then when the repairman finally came out he broke her wall cabinetry and she had to pay to have it repaired.

My sister with the Wolf feels it takes forever to boil water and her oven takes quite some time to heat up. Don't think she's had any service issues so nothing to report there but her range is not as powerful as my bluestar.

Point is that with every appliance (no matter how expensive), there will be those that have issues, those that love their choices, and those that don't. As they say "there's a pot for every lid" so everyone needs to find that "lid" that fits for them.

I know how difficult it is trying to make the right decision. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to buy!

• mowers
    14 years ago

Marcolo nailed it...if you want a simple reliable range...NXR. You will spend probably half of what a blue star or other upscale range will cost.

Do not think a Viking or Bluestar being $5K and up will be more reliable. Actually, your run of the mill range will have less issues and outlast the $5K range. I have heard no issues with NXR reliability. Go figure. There is an outrageous mark up on the upscale range. With the market and foreclosures and double digit unemployment, I do not know how these companies are surviving??

• marcolo
    14 years ago

I'm inclined to agree with Trevor though, that problem reports are over-represented.

Why would there be disproportionate problem reports?

I mean, I get the notion that people in pain are more likely to complain. Nobody logs onto a website to say, "My range worked today!" I understand that.

But why aren't there pages and pages of complaints about, say, Miele dishwasher reliability and service? Or Samsung fridges? Or NXR ranges? Or old Chambers stoves, or Ticor sinks?

Surely, if every appliance and kitchen fixture failed at the same rate, we'd have equal numbers of complaints, no?

Look: I get the Bluestar advantage. The currently-popular closed burner setup is kind of silly, sending the fire up the sides of your pans. (You do realize--old stoves were not made that way? Bluestar sure didn't invent the idea of a configuration of flames other than round.)

However, for the bags of money, I kind of feel that I am entitled to rely on an appliance not to 1) require me to hand-fiddle with the ignitors 2) bandage my arm from metal cuts 3) call the fire department after small explosions occur in my kitchen 4) burn my *** from leaning it against the stove, or any of the other specific complaints that many people have lodged against their Bluestar.

I think the idea of the Bluestar is spot on. High flame, well-distributed. Minimal electronics. Cast iron burners. I'm won over on all that. Sounds like a Julia Child's good old Garland to me.

The QC, however, I have a good right to question.

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

2 would be...

• thull
    14 years ago

marcolo- I don't think there are disproportionate problem reports. Not sure where you're getting that from. I think Bluestar problems are over-represented on this board b/c interest in them to some degree started here. I've been reading about them here for 5 or 6 years (i.e. about 2 years before buying mine). That goes back to David Rosengarten's article, before it was even published and was just a circulated draft PDF. So, what I'm saying is that folks who are pissed for whatever reason are more likely to show back up, and folks who are happy get on with their lives. And there are only dummies like me who are still around providing perspective.

What's an NXR range, anyway?? Maybe 4 years from now, it'll look like the complaints about it are disproportionate.

The only reason I've had to fiddle with my ignitors was b/c I installed and took on the responsibility for making it work. If you bought one now, you'd be covered on the setup. Ditto for leaks.

As for cutting yourself, there was one spot at the edges of the front of the drip pan that was a problem on my vintage Bluestar. Have no idea if it's been fixed. Otherwise, if you're getting into the innards of *any* appliance (dishwasher, fridge, washer/dryer, range), there will be sharp sheet metal edges. Caveat dumbass on cutting yourself there.

I'm still assuming pacwest_cook is a shill, since I have seen anything else from him/her. The earlier post in the Bluestar v. American Range thread included some comment about the Bluestar having exposed fastener heads. Have no idea where that is. None on mine.

As for the bags of money, the pile for me was smaller with Bluestar than any of the other options when I bought. And I got the kickass burners, full-sheet-pan-oven, etc included.

Anyway, if I could pull up all the Bluestar writing over the past few years, I bet you could count maybe a dozen posters with installed ranges with serious issues. I'd imagine they made/sold 50 times that in ranges over the same period. My point is that all those other folks aren't popping up to say, 'yep, it all still works.'

• jaym2009
    14 years ago

I just ordered a 36" bluestar rangetop with the char broiler.

The problems you see here on the forum bother me most because there are no examples of Bluestar resolving the problem. It was always Eurostoves that resolved the problem- even when the range was purchased elsewhere.

I think the Bluestar will be the most fun to cook on, so I'm willing to take a risk. But knowing Eurostoves, whom I purchased it from, will stand behind it gives me confidence that any issues will be quickly resolved.

I decided to go with a wall oven as opposed to a range for many practical reasons.

Aside from the practical reasons I'm a bit leery of the Bluestar oven, it is inexcusable that the oven door will get stuck on a $4000+ range if you don't spray it with pam once a month. There is no word from Bluestar saying that they have a fix. I have also read of many gas leaks. That issue is one that can kill a whole family!

A gas leak should have a lifetime warranty. Any company with integrity should be ashamed of a problem like that.

When you read about Electrolux ovens and the blue flaking issue, they immediately replace the whole oven.

A few weeks ago I called Bluestar to ask a simple question. They didn't take my call. They passed my on to a dealer. I think that is very unprofessional.

That said, cooking is a new hobby for me, and the Bluestar rangetop will be a real joy to cook on.

The new kitchen will be done at the end of the year. I'll post a review.

I can say that Trevor and Karen at Eurostoves are first class.

~Jay

• parrym
    14 years ago

Well, jaym2009.... here's one example..
    My 30" RNB had a thermostat issue as shipped. The tech who did the White Glove service was... to be charitable... inexperience and lacked curiosity. The thermostat was very non-linear so it could only be adjusted correctly in a very small temp range. It cooked fine at low to moderate temps, but was noticeably off at high temps.
    I called Bluestar who passed my case on to Trevor (whom I purchased from). Trevor walked me through the oven calibration process and I got it back working at 350, but it was still off at high temps. I called Bluestar again and they sent the service tech to take a look (same guy from before). He tweaked the calibration again to be on target at higher temps, however the thermostat was so far off at the low end that the oven would never turn off...
    I called Bluestar again, explained the situation, my hunch about the thermostat, and the mediocre service tech. They got me in touch with a different company, who was very experienced high end stoves, and he took one look, swapped out the thermostat and it has been heaven ever since.

I don't expect a company (at least in this type of industry) to never make mistakes or have a perfect process. I do, however, expect them to quickly and cheerfully correct any problems which may escape to the field. This is where I am most pleased with Bluestar service. They were great to deal with, the problem was solved fairly quickly, they changed tactics (service co's) when needed and the range runs like a champ.

I don't expect perfection, nor am I willing to pay for it, but I do expect, and in this case received, a company to stand behind their product and make sure it works as advertised. I love my Bluestar and have no reservations about recommending it to others.

• jn99
    14 years ago

jaym2009 - this is a great post and I share these sentiments. I have often wondered why it is that Trevor seems to provide better customer service on BS than BS does, including to customers who did not purchase from him. I keep hearing that BS is better or getting better, but it seems that they still have a ways to go.

I purchased my 30" RNB locally instead of from Trevor but gave MUCH thought to doing the opposite. In the end though I do want to support my local economy and merchants and I'd already spent a lot of time at the local dealer and with a sales person there. I'm also about as far from Eurostoves as is possible.

My range is slated for delivery next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well, I get a "healthy" range delivered, quality installation, and a good tech out for the white glove service. But yes, I am definitely a bit worried...

• jaym2009
    14 years ago

It's good to hear that most if not all Bluestar issues have a happy ending, even if there are sometimes a few weeks of hassle.

BTW- How do you know when your oven isn't cooking at the right temp?

~Jay

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

"How do you know when your oven isn't cooking at the right temp?"

Spend about $10-20 on a good oven thermometer. Amazingly, a lot of them are junk. Two that have been consistently accurate are the ThermoWorks oven thermometer and the ones like the Taylor 5921

• jn99
    14 years ago

Can the probe type like the ThermoWorks be used to check oven temp as well as for cooking? Do you just set the probe in the center of the oven to get an accurate reading?

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Yep, you can just "hang it" in there if you want. When I check the controls in that manner (or measure the temperature in my outdoor smoker), I'll sometimes poke it through the handles of a roaster pan, or use an "alligator" clip to hold it off the grilles. I wouldn't be surprised to see slightly different temperatures in different parts of the oven. Sounds scary, but a 25 degF "accuracy" for the oven isn't bad, as you can compensate by how you set the oven. What most consider important is stability, how much it varies once set; 5 degF plus/minus is very good. 25-50 degree swings aren't uncommon for inexpensive ranges/ovens.

The ThermoWorks works great as a leave-in cooking thermometer. Their quick-read ThermPen is one of the best instant-read ones I've seen. I love mine, and it isn't even the most recent generation.

• amirm
    14 years ago

In my book, there is no excuse for a company not screening who does their repair. When I was reading parrym's story, I thought it was going to end with not ever buying anything from BS again. I am surprised to hear that going through two repair companies is considered a good outcome. It is not remotely for me. Once is bad enough on a new, luxury product. But two?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    14 years ago

Any manufacturer will have in excess of 400 service guys in the data base, all service companies Bluestar use service appliances for wolf, viking, thermadore, DCS and so on, if the guy who comes to your house is fool all a manufacturer can do is 2 things

1) Find a new service company to do a better job as FAST as possible.
    2) Never use the fool again.

amirm........have you ever employed someone in your line of work or to do a job at home who in your mind was just right for that job only to find at a later date they let you down? I am sure you have , what do you do when this happens, you sack them and / or get someone else to finish the job???? Its just the same with service companies they seem to have all the right credentials, they work on all the right appliances but it just does not work out.

The major problem manufactures has today is that (unlike you in your job or home) manufacturers rarely get to meet the people in the service company face to face, the days of flying guys in to a manufacturer from all around the country for training are well into the past.

Bluestar in this case did what the service department of any company should have done, they found a service company for parrym's issue and attempted a fix, found the service company to be lacking, replaced them with another company who did a good job, and dropped the first company who let them down.

Going though two service companies is not a good outcome for anyone, and remember nobody expected this to happen. Does anyone think Bluestar enjoyed paying for 3 service calls? I am sure they did not. Bluestar recognized the failure and reacted in a positive way.

Everyone should understand this is not a Bluestar issue alone, the problem with poor service companies hits all manufacturers from the top end to the bottom.

A & E factory service gets a bad rap on this site for bad service, poor appointment keeping, not calling back etc, we have a whirlpool washer dryer in our store for the cooking school, we had a problem with the washer the guy came in from A & E factory and was excellent.... arrived on time as arranged, clean, polite, listened to my explanation of the problem, diagnosed and fixed my issue on the first visit. The guy who came to my store was first class, the MAN made the difference in my case.

There are two sides to perryms post good and bad. IMO Amirm focused on the bad, perrym focused on the good.

1)Should any range arrive with a problem, of course not.
    2)Was the retailer proactive YES..
    3)Was Bluestar proactive..YES
    4)Was it fixed in a timely manner..YES.
    4)Is the customer now happy..YES

All any manufacturer can do is the best they can and sort the good from bad as fast as possible and as painlessly as possible for customers.

• ya_think
    14 years ago

Good points, Trevor. There's just one part of parrym's story that bothered me, and perhaps you can help explain it.

I called Bluestar who passed my case on to Trevor

Why did they pass it back to you? There's a salesperson and frequent contributor on this forum, live_wire_oak, who repeatedly makes it clear that post sales support falls on the manufacturer. If that's true, then it's great how you regularly step in to help out, but why is the mfr themselves putting it on you?

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

post sales support falls on the manufacturer

I can't remember anyone telling me that they called Toyota or GM corporate to resolve an issue; you call a dealer. With most electronics or computer goods, you may call a number that says "Brand X" but you're talking with outsourced support, not the manufacturer. It is the manufacturer's responsibility to provide post-sales support in one way or another, but that may not be direct from the manufacturer's employees.

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

They refer customers back to Trevor because he gets it. Nobody benefits from unhappy customers, Trevor knows the product well and when there is a problem you put your best at the podium.

• ya_think
    14 years ago

sfjeff - You're comparing apples to oranges. You don't take your car back to the salesman. You take it to the dealer's service department. Who gets compensated by the manufacturer for any repairs under warranty. The outsourced support you refer to with electronics, do you think they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts? No, they're being compensated by the manufacturer. In either case, in the end it's the manufacturer who is bearing the responsibility.

Of course I don't know, but I highly doubt that Trevor is directly compensated for the time he spends being a good guy. And if oven calibration is a simple enough task such that a customer can be walked through it over the phone, why would Bluestar need Trevor to be the middle man? Is he qualified to help out? Obviously. Should the mfr refer service issues back to him? THAT'S what I'm questioning.

• PRO
    14 years ago

To be honest I don't remember this particular case so I have no idea why Bluestar recommended the customer call me, i guess who ever it was this person spoke too at Bluestar had a reason but I don't know for sure.

The manufacturer of any and all appliances sold in the USA is responsible for dealing with service issues, the warranty is held by the manufacturer NOT the retailer. technically the retailer can walk away from a customer once the appliance sale has been made (and most do) It has to be said that I do ask my customers to come directly to me with issues especially for Bluestar and Liebherr, when we sell a GE appliance for instance they only have an incoming call center so the customer has to make that service call.

The reason that I get involved with Eurostoves Bluestar customers is as follows

1) I can fix with the help of the customer 70% of all Bluestar issues on the phone there and then.
    2) I can diagnose a problem and give better details to Matt at Bluestar
    3) I have an excellent relationship with Matt at Bluestar which helps Eurostoves customers get back on the road fast

When I help people on the site with problems even when they did not make the purchase from Eurostoves I do that for the following reasons.

1) I want to check to see if it is a legitimate issue or BS,
    2) I want to see if its one of my customers.
    3) If it is genuine I feel bad for customers who slip through the cracks, if I can bring the problem to Bluestar's attention they can take the reins and fix the problem.

Sure I get credit which helps me with selling an extra Bluestar, but if I go the extra mile I deserve that extra sale, at least in my mind. Eurostoves has built a reputation of offering excellent customer service and excellent product knowledge.

If you want to know who is going to look after you if you have a problem ask questions about service issues directly related to the appliance you are looking at.

1) Who do I call if I need service
    2) Who comes out to fix my range if I need service
    3) What will you do If I need service
    4) if the door sticks on my Bluestar how do I open it without damage or waiting for service.
    5) How do I change the ceramic igniter, ask them to show you.
    6) Where can I get a ceramic igniter

If you sales person cannot answer these questions you can be assured you will be dealing with Bluestar directly and not the retailer who is promising you customer service, or any other manufacturer for that matter.

Everyone on this site knows what COULD go wrong with a Bluestar so ask the sales person how to deal with those problems or who will deal with these problems.

Bluestar could not afford melol

• jn99
    14 years ago

Well our RNB 30" is finally in! The install was uneventful - just the way I like it. Burn off was smooth sailing and though I have not actually cooked anything yet everything seems to be in perfect working order. Oh yeah, and the range looks awesome in place :-)

The only odd thing I noticed was what seems to be uneven venting. During the burn off the wall behnid (and above) the left side burners got very hot while the wall behind the right side burners remained cool to the touch. I have no idea how this thing vents but I did think this was odd. Is it normal?

Other than that, I'll be scheduling the white glove service and look forward to doing some cooking!

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

jn99 -- At least on the 36" the vent for the oven is on the left, about centered with the left-most burner grates. It is about 6" wide, as I recall.

Have fun! Cook something already!

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

I know the cooking experience is the most important thing but could I ask for a photo or two? :>) Congratulations on your purchase! Still thinking here in Atlanta.

• pvrick
    14 years ago

We bought a Blue Star 36 inch drop in in June from Eurostoves. NO DEALER in Southern California had the drop in and when I called the distributor, he didn't even know they made one (Blue Star you need a new distributor in So Cal)
    Last week all of a sudded three of the burners quit working. Emailed Trevor who promptly had Matt from Blue Star contact me. They ordered parts and sent the same company that did the White Glove service (Really impressed with them). He installed a new spark modulator, and for luck replaced three ignitor. He then took the time to adjust each burner to perfection.

Great service on a teriffic product. Thanks Trevor, Matt and all.

• keitel
    14 years ago

Well, I haven't been around the forum for a long time but I thought I'd add some more fuel to the Bluestar fire. Here is a list of things that have gone wrong with my RNB304 since its install date of January 2008:

1. replacement of convection fan for noise and vibration (fixed through warranty)
    2. 2nd convection fan now demonstrates same behaviour as first (haven't called in yet)
    3. wires left dangling down to drip tray from factory caused burners to click and not ignite (self-diagnosis and repair)
    4. half of required levelling screws not installed from factory (sent in mail by Blue Star upon request)
    5. convection fan bulb burned out (entire front electrical gear/harness? replaced under extended warranty)
    6. loose wires from factory sparked violently and loudly and shorted out entire oven (repaired under warranty)
    7. door is now sticking badly. I've lubed it several times from the beginning with a couple of different things and no solution lasts more than a week. The door is very hard to open now and presumably it will just stop opening altogether. I've now put another service call into the extended warranty company.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. These are just the things I can remember off the top of my head. Regardless of what I think about cooking on this thing, I paid roughly $4 000 for it and it hasn't even been in use for 2 years.

• PRO
    14 years ago

Keitel

Take off the door skin to lube the whole hinge. If it locks closed before you do this DO NOT TRY TO FORCE THE DOOR, call your retailer or Bluestar to have them tell you what to do.

• keitel
    14 years ago

Trevor,

Thanks for the tip but after looking at the door and trying in my mind to picture "removing the skin" I'm unfortunately going to have to leave it to the pros. I've settled for oiling it again which gets me a smooth door for a few days at least. Thankfully I shelled out for the extended warranty as I've had to use it a couple of times now.

Not to beat a dead horse, but (insert rhetorical question of frustration) why oh why am I having to go through this in less than 2 years for this kind of money? I fully understand that nothing is perfect, everything has its issues but this is a joke.

I said to my wife while looking at it that if I didn't love cooking with it so much it'd be lying out on a snow bank with a "free to a good home with infinite patience" sign on it.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

Seems weird that no one produces a kit with an applicator to get food grade high temp silicone grease where it is needed on oven hinge assemblies without taking doors apart. Very costly stuff but would solve what seems to be a case of "Pay a little now or pay a lot later" on many different brands of ovens.

• keitel
    14 years ago

Yeah, it's locked again. I put a lot of oil all over the hinges this morning. I popped the part out that moves and oiled and loosened that too. Then I cooked all day and now it's locked up again. I managed to get it open without too, too much pulling but I think that's it.

I looked again at the door and I just don't see how it's really supposed to come off in the form of a skin. I'm afraid I'd get it partially disassembled and then get stuck or not be able to put it back together again.

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Keitel -- it's pretty easy, though getting it back on can take a couple tries until you get the hang of it. Have your dealer of BlueStar talk you through it. You'll be proudly holding your whole door in your hands in no time.

• keitel
    14 years ago

Well, I looked at it again last night with some intentions of trying to get it apart. The first time I closed it during my inspection that was it. It is no longer a useable oven as the door cannot be opened. And for the record, I have oiled it regularly since I got it. Yay.

• PRO
    14 years ago

keitel

Give me a call and I can guide / advise you what to do, it takes about 10 minuets, if I recall you got this from Costco , they will be no help at all.

• keitel
    14 years ago

Hey Trevor,

I actually bought from a small dealer here in my city who had never heard of Bluestar before I showed him the website. I pushed him into carrying it and I bought the first one he ever sold. I called the 3rd party warranty company (no 2 year white glove extension when I bought it) again tonight and hopefully there'll be a plan in place tomorrow for a repair with the same local company who installed it and has serviced it before. I'm going to try to be patient and not void anything by opening up the door.

While I've got your eyes, am I going to need these hinges replaced? And how am I supposed to avoid this in future considering I've been lubricating these ones from the beginning.

What would this company do without you?

• dcrb
    14 years ago

We have had our 48 inch range in full use for the better part of the year with no problems. It is the 48 inch model and has 8 burners. There are 3 to 4 burners in use for every evening meal and one or the other of the ovens. With Thanksgiving, my wife had 7 burners going and both ovens without any problems. Will we have problems? In time, I am sure we will. Will it be worth complaining about? I doubt it.The stove is rather uncomplicated and unencumbered with fancy electronics. So I suspect that between the service company and my own rudimentary talents we can keep it going.

We shopped around for months before deciding on the BS and were well aware of all the complaints. Every range we looked at between Sierra Vista and Phoenix AZ had features we liked and disliked, including the BS. We would have liked a window and light in the small BS oven and not just the large one and a temperature gauge for each. Neither was a show stopper for us. Both of us liked its simplicity, and of course the burners. It has not disappointed us in the least. We have found it to be a very reliable appliance and well worth the money.

• John Liu
    14 years ago

What is the problem with the oven door hinges? Is there some linkage that jams?

• keitel
    14 years ago

I bought the range for the very same reasons you did; the arguments of a lack of fancy electronics and uncomplicated construction being large factors in my decision. But ... I certainly expected that the most basic elements of the most basic range on the market would survive 2 years. Loose popping sparking wires, unbalanced fans, and functioning doors have nothing at all to do with fancy electronics and complicated construction but they do have everything to do with a lack of quality construction.

As a positive counterpoint Bluestar has offered to pay for a replacement door even though it's 11 months out of factory warranty.

If all the stars are properly aligned I'll have the privelege of using my oven for Christmas day rather than sheepishly telling my guests that the door on my range worth more than my car won't open.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

A wild guess might be that the problem is some kind of misalignment binding as a result of moving surfaces improperly wearing against unmoving surfaces. If you ever used an old style paper cutter you might have experienced the similar situation where the cutting arm would become more and more difficult to operate until it finally seized up completely because wear and the ratchet type action started to over tighten the holding bolt which also acted as the cutting arm pivot bearing. This would act similar to a seized brake on a car and while lubrication would temporarily clear the fault, it would be less and less effective as time passed.

A new door will put you back on track.

Good luck!

• John Liu
    14 years ago

I was just curious because my aunt has a residential Garland, which I gather is the same as a Bluestar (right?), so if she should be lubricating something I want to let her know.

• PRO
    14 years ago

The product we have stated using in the cooking school to prevent the door sticking is.

"Food Grade PURE SILICONE Lubricant" made by a company called "KEL"

This was readily available in our local hardware store "True Value"

In my experience a stuck door can be released with ZERO damage by simply taking out a total of seven screws, removing the door skin ONLY, then spraying the hinge from the inside. If you try to force the door open you will damage the inner skin or the hinges permanently. Trust me anyone can remove the skin, spray the hinge and replace the skin in less than 10 minutes, call your retailer or Bluestar for guidance.

• mojavean
    14 years ago

I am going to weigh in here on Blue Star, speaking as a new owner but with a lot of experience repairing appliances of all sorts. I do not think there is ANY reason to not at least consider Blue Star if you are looking for a high output gas range similar to a commercial model. My reason is that all arguments to the contrary aside, these things are SIMPLE. There is nothing to them. There are no complex displays, timers, esoteric ignitors, or sealed burners. I can have the whole top off my stove and all of the burners pulled out and sitting on the counter in two minutes.

I got a good deal on my stove from a dealer in LA who was "moving them out" but might not be what one would call a "white glove" servicer. No big deal. I brought the range the 150 miles back home in the back of my truck and installed it with my contractor who did the kitchen remodel. When I was moving the heavy thing I managed to break one of the ceramic ignitors. When I called the manufacturer to buy a replacement, Matt at Prizer Painter said "We'll just send you one free when send in the warranty paperwork."

Now, that does not sound like bad service to me. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to service. Now, if I run in to the ignitor/sensor board issue that some of the great pioneers here on Gardenweb have gone through and troubleshot for us I think I will probably give Prizer a shot at fixing it, but if that doesn't pan out I am just going to get the replacement component and put it in myself. No big deal.

Now, as far as performance, I didn't get the RNB (the 22Kbtu model with convection). I just got the RCS model with the 18kbtu burner. It's hot enough so that you have to be careful as heck to not burn non-stick cookware. I imagine the 22k btu guy will really smoke you out if you are not watchful.

From what I have seen, the 36" RCS is beautiful, VERY SOLID, lights easily, handles lots of different sized cookware easily, and has a delicate enough touch that I am not at all worried about making Hollandaise on it.

I am happy about its simplicity and utility and have basically only one concern and that is parts availability. But with Gardenweb here my guess is that if something breaks, someone here will know where to find the parts to fix it.

• keitel
    14 years ago

I finally got the new door installed yesterday afternoon. I noticed after it was on that it's an old-style door - I know this because it's black as opposed to speckled (like the interior of my 2007 oven). So, now it doesn't match the rest of the oven. The other thing I noticed was that the glass isn't properly sealed. I washed it down with soap and water before burning it in and instantly the inside of the window pane was full of water. I am grateful for Bluestar giving me a new door but I would have liked one manufactured after 2007. Am I thrilled about either of these things? No. Am I going to do anything about either? No. My expectations are clearly too high. It lights, it cooks, it works. That's it. I'm sick of being disappointed.