SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Thinking of moving from gas to induction but am nervous...

try_hard
16 years ago

Good afternoon. I am building a new house and will pick out my appliances in the next 2 weeks. I've spent the past few days reading all the posts about induction as well as other information from other sites. I have been cooking on a GE Profile gas range for 6 years and I don't like it. Takes forever to boil water (which I do often) and I am a very clumsy person so I have almost set my sleeves and some dishtowels/pot holders on fire a few times. Really, I think it is dangerous for me to be around an open flame. So I've been looking at induction. But it's completely new to me, I don't know anyone who has one I can try, and it's a big purchase. I am nervous about making a decision I'll regret! Was anyone else feeling this way before making this kind of switch and if so, what helped you decide to go with induction or to stay with gas?

I should mention that I have seen many posts about the benefits of seeing the flame level while cooking with gas but I don't do that. I have a tendency to watch what the food in the pan is doing more than what the flame underneath the pan is doing. I am not a gourmet chef, just your average joe cooker.

I appreciate any comments. My biggest fear is I will buy an induction cooktop, dislike it, and when I try to find a gas cooktop to replace it I will find out that the hole in my countertop (for the induction cooktop) is too big for a gas top and that I have to replace my countertops in order to replace my cooktop.

Thank you.

Try_Hard

Comments (74)