SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

cleaning/replacing plastic faucet aerators?

melissastar
13 years ago

The aerators in two faucets....a powder room and a pot filler faucet in my still-unfinished remodel have gotten clogged up almost immediately with junk, causing the water flow to spray and spit instead of coming out in a clean straight stream. When I've taken the nozzle apart to clean out the aerator, I discovered not the standard old-fashioned metal screen and washers, but a plastic gizmo made of several bits of plastic mesh and clearly not meant to come apart for cleaning. I called the faucet manufacturer and he confirmed, they're not meant to come apart and sent me a new one. But now another faucet is acting up.

What's the deal with these things? I can't find any online to buy to replace them (clearly a 25-cent plastic part), and I did try taking apart the one that was replaced by the faucet company to confirm that it wasn't a good idea. It wasn't...one plastic part ripped and you could NOT clean it without taking it apart.

Anyone else run into this and got a solution? I mean, aren't aerators things that pretty easily clog up and are supposed to be easily DIY fixed?

Comments (2)