SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcjohnsson

Residential/home elevator travel speed and energy efficiency

tcjohnsson
9 years ago

I'm looking at installing a home elevator in a six story condo/townhome. There is actually another unit below on the 3rd floor + two levels of parking below that. There is a common elevator that takes the residents of the 15-unit complex from the street level to the 3rd floor, and then some residents can enter their units from that floor or walk up one or two flights of stairs to get to their front doors. The rooftop loft units have been designed with an elevator hoistway space that will go from the 2nd floor parking all the way up to each individual unit on the 5th floor (5th floor unit is a loft with two stories). This particular elevator would stop only on floors 2, 5 and 6 (skip floors 3 and 4). My concern is that the travel distance is quite far with 11 and 12' floor-to-floor heights. The unit would travel up 34 feet to get from the 2nd floor to the 5th floor and 45 feet from the 2nd floor to the 6th floor.

How fast or slow are these elevators? I've been told that the hydraulic and traction options are limited to the same speed - 40 ft per minute. That seems painfully long to be sitting in an elevator traveling such a short distance. I estimate it would take over 50 seconds to traverse the 34' necessary to take me from my parking garage to the entry of the unit. Is that right? Is 40 ft per minute typical speed for residential elevators and does anyone have experience riding them (especially over longer than 10 feet or so)? Would it be a bad idea to have a unit designed to depend on these elevators every day? Is reliability an issue? Maintenance costs prohibitive? Are there faster options in the "residential" category?

I was looking at the Symmetry product, particularly the roped hydraulic option. Cost is about $40K installed. Installer stated that the hydraulic option has a smoother ride (especially start and finish) and is more energy efficient than the traction option because of its low standby power (84 watts 24-7). Apparently the traction option has a higher standby power rating. The hydraulic unit consumes 4,500 watts going up and 161 watts going down. Assuming one minute total travel time in both directions 8X/day (4 up, 4 down, an average use I am assuming per elevator per day) it will only consume 291 watts total in motive power and 2,016 watts total in standby (84W x 24 hours). So the standby power consumption is 7X greater than the motive power consumption. I should note that this project is 100% solar powered so low power consumption is critical.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments (9)