SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_gw

Kats Home---Pics

kats
16 years ago

Well, it seems like YEARS ago that I first became a member of this forum.

I was SO excited when we bought our lot in June 2004 and had dreams of being in by Christmas 2005. But, like so many here, we had our fair share of problems along the way. Our architect took 1 year to design what he said would be a 6th month job (he wasn't computerized). Our permit department took 9 months (they didn't want another home built in our scenic area). Our GC...well we're still fighting with him to complete small finish work and contract dispute.

The WORST part of building was a 3 month work stoppage because our architect forgot to include snow load trusses. We didn't know if we'd be allowed to retro fit (which we did) or if we'd have to tear the house down and begin again (it never would have been built if that had been the case).

The BEST is... being IN,... sharing our home with our friends,... our new neighbors (awesome people!),... DH's gameroom (come hell or high water I WILL beat him at pool),... and my back porch which runs the length of our house (140ft). I watch the sunrise every morning and while the weather holds we plan to eat outside every night. I'm having a ball with my new appliances especially my new Wolf LP rangetop and DH's is getting very good and not making a face over burnt dinners...LP cooks SO HOT! LOL.

We're getting settled. And, I've been saying I would post pictures of my home for quite a while now. So, today I took several indoor pics and have them on my photobucket page. I LOVE my house and after 38 months of waiting and waiting...I just wanted to share with everyone on this forum what we built.

PS Please keep in mind that I haven't decorated and have very little furniture right now. Thank goodness this isn't the decorating forum LOL !!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kats New Home----Whoo Hoo!!!!!

Comments (45)

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

There's bree in the kitchen. A typical golden like ours whose main interests in life besides loving people are food and fun!

Great digs and i gotta say it again, outrageous view.

concratulations! bree looks at home.

• mikeyvon
    16 years ago

WOW! kats it looks wonderful. What are your cabnits made of? Doors? Sweet views.

You know the one good thing about something tough like your build is it will be something you will never forget and will be an experience that is uniquely yours. Your home is gorgeous and the trials getting to that point make it even better. Plus, if it were easy everyone would do it.

• Related Discussions

Don't try this at home! (1 pic)

Q

Comments (10)
    It's true, Kat (and not true, Lydia! LOL).....I'm thinking of including this as one of the pics I post on Facebook every morning, and if I do, I'm glad the negative is damaged and looks old.
    ...See More

Move -in update ! A whirlwind 6 weeks.

Q

Comments (25)
    You are all so kind. A couple of answers... 2 days to pack, actually we had 2 50 foot storage truck containers on our property for the last 3 years. Thats where most of our stuff had been. (They are the units that were broken into by one of the subs guys and my heirloom silver was all stolen. Amazingly, I got everything back. Long story.) No case against anyone. Times are hard for builders & most of them have no money or resources. We did file a complaint against our builder, but we are one of many in line. His license is suspended as of right now. My husband & I had to decide that we would move in without bitterness about what had been our life for the last 3 years. We have paid a great deal for this home to be right & in all truthfulness it should have been handed to us complete & finished. But it isn't, so what are we going to do about it? Well, for us the bottom line...,we have a life to live, children to raise, and a marriage to sustain. None of these things will be served well if we hold on to anger & resentment. We lost a ton of money, we had great stress, we had huge amounts of worry. However today we sit, walk, live, rejoice, fellowship in a home I dare say is stunning. Who am I to complain about anything? I have so much that I am thankful for every minute of my life that there is no room for anything else. My arms are full, my heart is at peace. We have nothing we want to battle for. We walk in faith for a bright future. God Bless all of you. Kimberly
    ...See More

I've Got Granite and an Almost Finished Kitchen!!!

Q

Comments (9)
    Looking Great!!!! everything is looking perfect together. Your granite is very similar to mine only mine is lighter, kind of ivory background (mine is called Ivory Fantasy) What's yours?. The cabinets are a nice creamy color and those legs are a nice touch. Love your cabinets cup pulls!! I'm looking into something similar since I tried some pulls in a satin nickel finish and didn't like them. Are they ORB finish? Do you mind sharing their style name and who makes them? Can't wait to see your finished kitchen pictures!!! :)
    ...See More

My Old House Entry Door

Q

Comments (59)
    What I noticed when looking at the photo of the house. All the windows are framed in dark brown. The door is not, which is why it looks so barefaced. I would recommend replacing the center panel, painting white again. But the small strip around the door should be dark brown. And, I would go with a good hardwood sill, and paint the facing edge dark brown also. However you finish the rest of the sill, you need the same look for the door frame as the windows all have. Since the door frame shows hinges for a screen door, I'd look for a wood worker who could make you a screen door in dark wood. Whether you request inset screen to change out with glass inset is your choice. Most people have no use for a screen door with glass. Unless you like the extra light it could afford you. These may be decisions you can make later. Drive around, see if there is another home with your style and see how the front door is done. Glass inset screen door, or just screen? Give that one some time. Good luck on your door, am happy to see you want to do it right.
    ...See More
  • mavs_fan
    16 years ago

Congratulations Kats!!!!!!!! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful........especially that kitchen granite and all those windows :-) So happy that you are finally in your new HOME

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Progress So Far

• worthy
    16 years ago

Very nice with a consistent theme. More pics please. That 140 ft. porch, for one.

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sierraeast,
    Bree is at home. But then again, she is a Golden!!! Our other dog (a doxie) had a hard time adjusting. It took her almost 3 weeks to settle in. She kept going out to our 5th wheel and laying on our bed there. We lived in that trailer for 2 months between selling the old home and moving here.

Mikeyvon,
    Thanks! Our cabinets are alder and our interior doors are knotty alder. The exterior French doors are pine.
    Yea, you're right about this build toughening us up. Just let ANYONE mess with my house now! LOL

mays_fan
    I love hearing congratulations! It means we're done! WHOO HOO!
    I'm glad you like my granite. It's called Persian Brown and we really like it too. My windows are pine with a 9 lite marginal pattern.

worthy
    Yea, 140 feet! Had to do that because our 2 acres are mountainside and that left us with a very long but somewhat thin building pad. So....this is what we came up with! :)
    I'll post some more pictures of the outside once we get our grass in. Right now it's nothing but "stinky stuff" and wouldn't make for a very appealing picture! LOL

• Denise Evans
    16 years ago

Congratulations Kats! We're 6-8 weeks from moving in so I can relate.

What gorgeous granite! Have you used your appliances yet? How are they? They look fabulous.

Wonderful dog!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Oh Kats it's just BEAUTIFUL! I love the rustic kitchen and the warmth of your home. To die for views and such pretty ceilings. My daughter is drooling over the carousel horse too! Congratulations and I hope you get those final few snags figured out with the builder! Enjoy every minute of your beautiful new home!

Lindy

• dixiedoodle
    16 years ago

Congratulations! Thanks for the pics- the views are incredible!

• kelntx
    16 years ago

OH Kats it is wonderful! Beautiful!!! I love love LOVE the wide planks on the floor. I love your back splash tile also. We are going with Alder cabinets so I loved looking at yours :-)Gives me a hint of the future. HEE HEE!

I really like your fire place. Such a neat idea!!!

Keep the pictures coming!

• juniork
    16 years ago

Congratulations! I remember your post about the snow load...glad it got worked out.
    I just have to say...WOW...that curved kitchen counter is amazing...as is the rest of the house, in fact.

With a house and view like your's, who needs furniture?!

Congrats again!

• jennymama
    16 years ago

Congrats! Your house is just beautiful! As is your view!

Looking forward to more pics!

• fishpants
    16 years ago

Yeah! Who cares about furniture--at least you're finally in! Don't you just love the warmth of alder?
    BTW--where oh where did you get your master bath mirrors? I really like yours! Maybe I am too picky, but I just can't pick out my bath mirrors for the life of me!

• amyks
    16 years ago

Kats, I would feel like I was on vacation at a beautiful resort every day if I were you. Those views!! Something you will never tire of or become accustomed to. The house is gorgeous, I love so many things about it! Your bathroom mirrors in the master bath are gorgeous, do you mind sharing where you got them? The game room, and that family room fire place with the view. And your beautiful alder wood! So rustic and pretty. Great minds and all that....guess what granite I just had installed in my kitchen? Brown persian. OMG! Just breathtaking, all of it. I love the curved island, that is just gorgeous. I could go on and on...but I have to go to bed. We list this house on Saturday, and I have much to do tomorrow....

Congratulations and enjoy your new home!

HaPpY dAnCe HaPpY dAnCe HaPpY dAnCe!!!!!!

Amy

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Congratulations, absolutely beautiful!!

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know I had to laugh when I looked at those pictures again. I took them early this morning and in that morning light our gameroom carpet looks almost a rasberry color. It's really a dark wine color (almost a Merlot). Maybe it's a bad camera (or a lousy photographer!) LOL

denise54,
    Congratulations to you too on your VERY close ETA. As far as my appliances, I've used all of them except my warming drawer. It's functional but the overlay isn't on it. My cabinet guy who I would recommend to anyone is taking his 94yr old FIL on a vacation! Anyway, he asked if it would be ok to finish the drawer when he got back. OF COURSE! I have to say I love my KA double dishwashers. Very quiet.
    Yea, I like the dog too! :)

lindybarts
    Thanks so much for the wonderful thoughts. I really want my home to be warm and rustic and that's just what I wanted to hear. BTW, that carousel horse is one of the very few things I moved from my other home.

fishpants and amyks
    I got my mirrors from Lamps Plus. I've posted a link below of the brand. Amyks, that's really great that we have the same granite. It's amazing isn't it!!! I love the browns and gold, the grays and almost black in it. Can you post some pics of your granite?

Dixiedoodle, Juniork, Jennymama, brutuses
    Thanks to all of you for sharing these pictures with me. It's been fun..

Here is a link that might be useful: Quoizel Mirrors

• vfish
    16 years ago

Yea!
    You did it and it is beeeeeuuuutiiiiful!
    What a view, the doors and windows are perfect with the setting, nice contrast with the flooring and trim.
    What a great kitchen, you must be thrilled, can't wait to see more pics!
    What a cute dog you have too!

• charliedawg
    16 years ago

Absolutely stunning!!!! Just like I knew it would be.

I remember seeing your granite when it was just a slab. It looks gorgesous with your woods.

That wood ceiling, wow just wow! What a unique and gorgeous feature. Wow, woo hoo, wow! Did I say wow enough? :)

Congrats to you!!!! I bet it was well worth the wait.

• twitchy
    16 years ago

WOW Kats!!! Just beautiful!! The floors are gorgeous, that kitchen is unbelievable. The woodwork, windows, and doors - beautiful! And the view!!!! Congratulations! PS - You're dog is a cutie!

• mel71
    16 years ago

Your house is gorgeous! Congratulations! Enjoy.

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

oh, kats, it is just stunning. the views, the materials you chose, the staircase, the kitchen cabinets, the windows...everything. it is a remarkably beautiful home and I am in love with every detail.

did the dog come with the house? she is the perfect showpiece to top off the entire project!

(your girl is so gorgeous! my three golden boys would love to meet her!)

• labradoodlelady
    16 years ago

Wow, kats, your house is absolutely gorgeous. I love the way the interior is so in synch with those fabulous views that you have.

And it's so nice to see that Bree got herself at home so easily. One of mine adapted quickly, the other is still working on it. :)

Congratulations! Especially after all the delays you went through, isn't it just the most rewarding feeling to be in?!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

It looks great, Kats! Love the kitchen and MBath cabinetry. Did the island come from Napa Style? I know you are SO glad to be in - congrats! Many years of happiness in your new home.

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

vfish
    We did it...we did it. Hooray! Thank for the nice compliment on the doors/window/flooring/trim contrast. Again the upper GR windows don't really show well in the pics but they're also stained like the French doors and framed by the white trim.

charliedawg
    You know there are things I can say we shouldn't have done and there are those that I know I did just right. That wood ceiling was one of those things and I had to fight GC to get it. He kept bending DH's ear trying to do a poplar wood and paint it white! He said it would work better with the white trim. My lady like answer....
    "OVER MY DEAD BODY". LOL :)

twitchy...mel71 and Labradoodlelady
    Thanks for the compliments. The more I read everyone's well wishes the more I just feel better and better about what I'm blessed with. Labradoodlelady, Bree was right at home but like I mentioned my doxy is still having some issues. She's starting to come around though.

allison
    Thanks! The cabinetry was from my inspiration photo. I didn't want to do it exactly the same since I wanted to add glass to them and incorporate the 9 lite marginal theme. I think they turned out well. In the bathroom mirror pic you can see a reflection of our cabinetry in the bathroom. There's 4 cabinets that open the front and back sides of each cabinet. They're part of a "hall" between the mstr bathroom and our bedroom.

kygirl99
    Hellooooooo! :)
    Wow, such nice compliments from you and everyone.
    How is your home doing? I've seen the pics of your handsome boys. I KNOW Bree would love to play with them.

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

Kats, you should feel great about your home and what you went through to get it finished. I can't believe the contractor wanted to paint that gorgeous ceiling white! Ack! It's so perfect the way it is.

Here is one of my lazy boys, Neil. Bree would like him.

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG... He's BEAUTIFUL! What a lover! I have never had a dog as great as a golden. They live to please you. And your sofa looks just like Bree's sofa. We thought we bought our leather sofa for us but....NA... it's Bree's !

Yea, the GC did want to paint the kitchen ceiling white. I actually had to do some heavy talking to keep that from happening. He didn't go by me...he went to DH. I think GC was trying to save money on his part but like I said there was NO WAY that I was going to concede on that one!

• bebetokids
    16 years ago

kats-oh kats it's just beautiful. You must be so thrilled and relieved! I love your kitchen cabs and your view is everything anyone would want.

It's funny-I have the same bathroom mirrors and the same light fixtures and kitchen faucet. Wish I had that view-wanna trade?

My BAH experience is complete by seeing your and Kygirl's homes done-both are so pretty.

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

kats, yeah, goldens are the best dogs. neil, in the pic above, is our rescue golden so he came with issues but he's resolved most all of them with our help and he is the most wonderful dog ever. so funny that Neil and Bree have similar couches! when the new couches arrived, there wasn't ever any discussion as to whether the dogs would be allowed on the couches. it was simply assumed that they would be up there whenever they chose!

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Kats, I don't know how I missed this! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your home is stunning! I am in love with your views (which you already knew), and your kitchen is to die for! It's gorgeous! I hope you have many, many happy years in your beautiful new home!

• alwaysgolf
    16 years ago

Kat,
    Congratulations on your home. It is gorgeous. I remember all your frustrations but I am sure they are now worth it. I wish you and your family many happy and wonderful years in your stunning new home.

• kelntx
    16 years ago

We have a golden and has been the best dog we have ever had. She is DD's dog and she adores my daughter! Thought I would share some pictures of her :-)

Rose in Utah
    {{gwi:1498660}}

Driving somewhere in the car!!
    {{gwi:1498662}}

My two big girls!
    {{gwi:1498664}}

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

Oh Kats, your house is stunning. That curved granite countertop is awesome! Your wonderful style is evident in every detail.

Congratulations!

-Kelly

• soonerhouse2007
    16 years ago

Kats---I've only been a member of this forum for a few months, but I feel like a know you because I have read so many of your posts. All I can say is WOW what a beautiful home! It is hard to pick a favorite room, but I have to say the kitchen is truly stunning. I LOVE the curved granite top. Congratulations, enjoy every sq/inch; you deserve it.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

Kats - just awesome and although you still have several issues to deal with at least you are in. I wish you the best in getting everything ironed out.

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

awesome pics,kelntx

• cindylou2006
    16 years ago

Kats, YOUR home would be my inspiration photo! Very warm and rustic- love it! I'm trying to figure out your backsplash behind the stove. Is it a tree? Very cool. Would you mind sharing what you used for backsplash material? Thanks.

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kelntx Aughhh, Rose is a real beauty (DD too).

kellyeng, soonerhouse2007, lyfia
    Thank you all for the wonderful compliments. Again, when someone has put heart and soul into building it's really nice to hear you might have done it right.
    You know, everyone so far seems to like the kitchen a lot. True story....I posted the kitchen design about 3 years ago on GardenWeb (I think it was on the kitchen forum). It was literally "torn apart". No one seemed to like it or thought it would be a functional kitchen. I just thanked everyone and went ahead and built it. I'm really glad I did b/c it "IS" a functional kitchen and I think it looks pretty nice too! LOL

cindylou2006
    Wow, that is the nicest compliment so far! Thank YOU!!!
    As for the backsplash behind the stove.... It is a painting of an apple grove in a heavy winter snow. I tell everyone it's my "dead trees" picture LOL. Honestly, both DH and I love it and that's probably b/c the grove is actually just across the street from where we live. I wanted something that reflects this amazing area so I went to the artist and asked if I could have it reproduced onto a backsplash. He'd never done a backsplash before but it turned out so beautiful that he offers any of his pictures on tile now. He's a great guy and an amazing artist. I'll link his website below for you.
    The only bad thing... once I found the backsplash I told GC I didn't want the potfiller. But through miscommunication the plumber installed it anyway. So, now I hope to find another potfiller that is less noticeable. Anyway, here's a little better picture of the backsplash...

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildland Images Gallery online

• cindylou2006
    16 years ago

Kats, YOUR home would be my inspiration photo! Very warm and rustic- love it! I'm trying to figure out your backsplash behind the stove. Is it a tree? Very cool. Would you mind sharing what you used for backsplash material? Thanks.

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, sorry. The backsplash material is NOCE travertine.

• cindylou2006
    16 years ago

oops! Sorry for the double post- not sure how that happened...
    I love your apple grove! It really adds to your kitchen. We had granite installed today and are at the backsplash stage. Thanks for the link- I will check it out.

• ehoops
    16 years ago

Kats- Wow, amazing home. I'm sure you mentioned this before and I either missed it or forgot but... What are your floors? They along with your cabinets look terrific.

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ehoops

The wood floor is...8" width Russian White Oak. The company is Provenza but our floor is not displayed on their website since they only show 5" widths. It is natural wood (no stain finish), tung oiled, very rustic and I absolutely love it. Though we now have a couple of scratches from moving furniture (thanks surround sound people!) you'd have to know where to look to see them. And, I expect when I actually touch up with tung oil we won't see them at all. Also we're not seeing any scratches from the occasional "indoor" ball playing with our golden (yes... she's OCD). I think we don't see scratches b/c it's a natural finish (top color is same as inside the wood). Had we gone with a stained finish, scratches might have shown. Plus the stained finish seemed rougher and when we did a "test" cleaning on the 2 samples we brought home the stained grabbed little pieces of the "Swifter" we used.
    If you are interested in this floor email me and I'll get the exact SKU # to pass on to your local flooring company.

I hope the reason the cabinets work so well with the floor was I had our painter match the color of the wood knots and use it as my cabinet color. Took us a while but I think we got it right!
    P.S. Don't you just LOVE the "little" decisions we obsess over while building our homes! LOL

• ehoops
    16 years ago

Kats, thanks so much for all the information regarding your floor. I love how you matched the cabinet color with the knots. I don't think I would have though of that. I actually think we've decided on a floor, it will be a natural Hickory. It's a good price, plus the local flooring store that has it is having a 10% off this month plus no interest until 2010. Too good to pass up.
    I might steal your idea and stain our island to match the knots. :)

• mavs_fan
    16 years ago

Kats,

All I can say is WOW!!!!! It's so nice to hear that you are in after all of the ups and downs you experienced during your build. Best of luck in getting all of the loose ends tied up very soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Progress So Far

• houseful
    16 years ago

Congratulations! What a view! I remember reading about your roof problem. So glad everything finally came together. It looks fabulous. I love the curved bar. How many can it seat?

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Houseful Thanks for kind compliments. The curved island bar is 14 feet long. I plan to only have about 5 chairs on the left side of it though. We decided up front to NOT have a formal dining room so this bar swings around to our dining "nook" which is about 9' w x 11'. Putting any more chairs in there would encroach on the dining nook.

Thanks too Mavs_fan. We are working on getting those ups and downs finished. True to form, our ever vigilant GC and his crew maintained their "schedule" and didn't show up once while we were with friends in San Felipe this last week. Oh it just brings joy to my heart that they've grown into such great and conscientious workers.... (she says with a smirk).