SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

build or not ? ;)

lyfia
16 years ago

After finding out we were having a baby (that we sadly lost last week) we decided to put the building on our lot on temporary hold for a few years and find something existing. Our first offer on a 1945 home didn't work out as seller was unrealistic on the price so we moved on to a spec home on 2ac that wasn't yet fully completed. It was already at the walls painted stage. We will likely do some re-painting when moving in of the white walls. We like the honey colored ones for now.

The spec home is a first for a custom home builder in the area and has many custom features you don't normally find in a spec home in TX, such as a mudroom built in bench with hooks and cubbies, drain for washer overflow, built-ins in the closets and handicap accessible as in wide doorways etc. and we get to pick all the finishing fixtures. A couple of things in the floorplan I would have changed if I could, but not much.

We got lucky in that we like the cabinet choice for the kitchen, not the layout so much, but can live with that, but got them to make a change to make it a little more functional for us in removing the island placement and make it peninsula so I have a large baking space.

I'm so glad that we ended up doing this as I've had to make all the electrical and plumbing fixtures, granite, flooring, cultured marble color, and only have appliances left to select all within a weeks time. I'm considering just doing the kitchen pulls later as the allowance is so small and I'd rather get what I want and the same for bathroom mirrors.

We are still extremely sad about the loss of the baby, but having to make all these choices and have something else to look forward to has helped in keeping us busy in this rough time of our lives and we do have something to look forward too as we will be permanently living together during the week as well as weekends for the first time in our marriage.

So does this count as a build?

Here is a link that might be useful: Some pics (mixed with pics from our first choice)

Comments (15)