SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjwkr2000

Builder asking for more money for Septic Field Costs; Normal?

mjwkr2000
10 years ago

Before I address this issue with my builder I wanted to get opinions from some who have been through this in the past. I am in the late process of building a home on 2.5 acres with a well and septic system. During the perk test the health department provided the requirements for the septic field which the builder had in his possession prior to our signed purchase agreement. This week they are getting ready to put the tank in and have the sand delivered. He told me that the septic field plan was changed by the health department and may have to have more sand fill then expected. The lot to the east of mine was recently cleared and they are saying its too high for the current plans for my house (which my builders engineer drew up). He said he thinks the original cost may double.

My stance is that the Health Department shouldn't be able to "change" the plans on the fly. Whether the lot next door was cleared or not they should have known what the elevation was and what the necessary field requirements for my lot are. I have a tough time paying additional money out of pocket for this type of change. Is this normal?

TIA

Comments (7)