SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaismom_gw

My external wall mounted fan is too loud for the neighbor!

kaismom
13 years ago

A long story:

I have a Viking colored hood. I really like the color and it matches the range. The suction was not enough at 450 or so. We took out the internal fan and replaced it with external wall (90 degree bend above the vent hood) mounted fan by Fantech 8 inch duct, 450 CFM or so thinking that having it externally is more suction. At full blast, there is definitely more suction that what I had before with the Viking original fan.

Unfortunately, the Fantech fan is too loud and I can't use it at full blast. The neighbor complained about the noise. It does not meet the noise ordinance, 55 dB at the property line.... We marked where the 55 dB is with the nelp of the noise ordinance inforcement officer, which is about at 1/3 up from the off position. (Egad)

Options I am considering:

1. replace with Abakka external fan 1000CFM, 8 inch supopsedly 66 dB at the fan. Even at 1/2 level, it should have more suction and less noise that what I have now.

http://www.abbaka.com/kitchen-exhaust-fans.htm

2. replace with internal fan (we cut out the mounting hardware...) Not sure how that will work... but look for more oomph than what I had, ie about 1000 CFM.

3. remote attic fan: will be difficult since there will be multiple bends and the fan will be far (has to be far enough away from the neighbor...) plus the fan will have to be above our dining room.....

----------

I am most interested in the Abakka fan. Any other fans I should consider.

Any other ideas?

thanks

Comments (7)