SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamywhite

Being nickled and dimed to death by mason

dreamywhite
14 years ago

In month 4 of our DIY build and I am really starting to lose all respect for masons in our area. Our first mason that did our basement did a poor job in our eyes so we found a new mason to do the flatwork. This new mason has so far done our basement floor and we are very happy with the work. BUT he was scheduled to do it on Aug 24th and it was not done until September 10th. We were told that our garage floor was to be done on Sept 16 and now it will not be done until Sept 18. I can see delays in rain for a day or two but waiting weeks for a contractor to show up for the job is nuts. Being told I'll be there Monday and then calling Monday for him to tell you now it's Wednesday. On top of all of that he came out to the job site to give us a bid on the entire flatwork job which includes the top layer of stone etc. The basement went over $1000 than he projected with concrete because we had to pour 5" to make up for the mistakes that our first mason did, so this new mason decided to "split" the bill with us. Now he comes out today to lay the stone down (pouring tomorrow which is 2 days later than we were told) and now he tells us that the 2 loads of stone that was in the bid is not enough to complete the job. I told my DH very firmly that I am NOT paying for another penny. He came out and gave us an on site bid for the job, if he did not measure correctly that is not my fault. I just bet though that my DH will not stand up to him and will end up "splitting" the bill again. Then to top things off we were borrowing a wheelbarrow from a friend of ours to move lumber around the jobsite and he used this wheelbarrow in our basement and left concrete in the bottom of it, and he used the friends shovel as well. He also told me the day of the basement pour that he needed a sheet of plywood for a runner. I told him NOT to touch any of the special order plywood that is being used for our 2nd subfloor but he went ahead and took a sheet and my DH told him to buy us another sheet and bring it today which he DID NOT DO. One of his guys also stole my husband's mud boots and my DH called him about it and he did not return those yet either. We totally needed those last week too because we had our well dug and there was mud everywhere. What should be do, this is getting to be expensive and ridiculous. Please help !!

Comments (6)