SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

need input on bathroom plans

worldmom
15 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first post in the bathroom forum. We're just about to start on a remodeling project that involves our kitchen, dining room, laundry room and powder room. In fact, demo was supposed to start today, but has been pushed back to Friday.

I have been so obsessed with our kitchen plans for the past 4 months that I've barely given our bathroom a second thought, and all of a sudden I'm realizing I have to get serious about the bathroom. I made some good progress this week, and here's what I've purchased so far:

This is the medicine cabinet:

From Last Import

This is the light fixture (with white opal bell shades):

From Last Import

And this is the sink. It's a Kohler Bancroft, and a very close match to an original sink in our 1910 home.

From Last Import

Where I'm getting stuck is with the wall and floor tile. Due to an error made by the guy who ordered our master bath tile, we have a whole bunch of white, brown and black hex tiles left over from that project, and we'd like to use the black and white ones in the powder room. I would also like to use honed carrara subway tiles on the wall, and we will only be tiling the 40" wide niche that the sink will sit within.

Here are my main questions:

1) While I've seen lots of people use white ceramic subways on the walls and marble on the floors, I haven't been able to find the reverse (carrara on the walls and black/white ceramic on the floors) as we'd be doing. Do you think it would look OK?

2) Since we'll only be tiling the sink niche, rather than all the walls, I'm not sure how to handle the baseboard issue. There is a 6" coordinating marble skirting we could use in the niche, but the wood baseboards throughout the house are 10" deep. Should we just put the field tiles on top of a wood baseboard and skip the skirting? Or should we nix the baseboard and carry the skirting onto the non-tiled walls? Any other ideas?

3) Another issue with the sink niche is that the two parallel walls aren't equal lengths, and I can't figure out if we should tile them as is, or if we should bring the tile on the longer wall just equal with the shorter wall. (This would actually simplify the placement of the light switch and an outlet since they wouldn't have to be in the field tile.) Another thought I had was that maybe we could just tile the wall the sink sits against, and not the two side walls. Here's a drawing that hopefully better illustrates my dilemma:
{{gwi:1502434}}From Last Import

This last photo is the only one I had that shows the border and field tile of our master bath - this is the tile we have available to use in the powder room. I could do a simple black border and/or replicate the "flowers" (visible in mirror) in the powder room, but I worry that the flowers might be too much in such a tiny space. I don't know...

I'd be grateful for any input.

From Last Import

Comments (4)