SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

MS Word and even Firefox closing without permission

biwako_of_abi
14 years ago

I leave them up on the screen and go away for awhile, only to come back and find that they have been closed without my permission, so to speak. This morning, while I was at breakfast, FF closed itself and I lost a long and complicated order that I was compiling for jewelry findings. And I wasn't making a list of them, expecting that, after the order, I would get an email saying what they were. Grrrr.

I suppose this may have something to do with security or the PC hibernating or going on standby or the like, but I have not changed my settings in a long time, didn't have them set to and in any case, having my Word documents stay up on the screen would not be a security risk.

I just checked my power settings and see that I have "turn off monitor after 20 minutes" checked, but beside "hibernate" and "standby," it says "never." I did notice, though, that under another tab in power settings, I had "away mode" enabled. I have unchecked that now to see if it helps.

Lately, Microsoft has been disregarding my settings that require it to notify me of security downloads and then decide for myself when or if to install them. I just get a message at shut-down with an option to install whatever it is or shut down without installing it. This is extremely annoying, because I have no idea what the download contains.

Could it be that one of these security downloads is messing with my computer and shutting down FF and Word documents?

Comments (13)