SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

lots to think about

mommyto4boys
14 years ago

From the start, I'm warning that this is going to ramble and ask a lot of your thoughts about some different ideas and questions...

We are working on plans for a new custom built home. Currently we live in our own custom, gc'd ourselves/lots of sweat equity, 4300 finished with an additional 2700 unfinished in the basement. We overbuilt and don't feel comfortable in the mortgage we are in now & would like to "redo."

I have drawn plans that the exterior is very similar to the one that fisherking87 has shared with us here. Absolutely love the elevation. An expensive exterior to build, no doubt. We would not have the walk out basement and much to our wishes, most likely would not stone the entire home. The interior on ours does not have a formal dining or a formal office/den. We have those now and decided we don't want them next time. Soon, I'll share the plans I've been working to death.

Now for some questions and concerns...

I'm playing with the idea of having 2 plans drawn up that both give us the rooms and space we desire. The one plan would be with our desired exterior and the other a simple, less cornered exterior/floorplan. Has anyone else bid out 2 plans to decide your build/plans?

Any ways to calculate the saving on a simpler plan and say 9' vs 10' ceilings?

Also, we were thinking about having a partial basement poured this time. Wondering if we would regret that, that is a lot of future space for less money per sq foot than the upstairs? Any thoughts?

What things have you decided to "cut" out of your plans to stay on budget?

What are your priorities in a custum as far as budget? Skimp on exterior? Skimp on trim, add later? forget the granite? Cut square footage so you don't forgo any upgrades?

Our home is decked out with everything currently. I really do enjoy that and I like a certain exterior look. Just trying to figure the "happy medium" for our new build. We are trying to stick to 3000sq. ft this time and an additional unfinished basement (we will finish at a later date).

Hard to tell if cutting over a 1000 sq ft is the way to go or if we should build as smart as possible. We certainly don't like the economy or the financial strain we have put ourselves in with our current mortgage. Certainly, don't want to go through the entire process, again, just for a small savings.

Like, I warned, rambling, please give any and all opinions and insights you may have. Fuel for thought is appreciated. Thank you, Mommyto5boys (now)

Comments (12)